Exhibition Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Exhibition Games

Postby CBB_Fan » November 6th, 2012, 7:08 am

valleychamp wrote:So, Wessel/Baker are better than Colt Ryan, Carl Hall is better than Carmicheal and McDermott, and Baker/VV are the best Fr guards in the last 10 years.

Those are some bold statements based off of 1 exhibition game. I guess we shall soon see...

I don't know about them being that good, but they were very good in this game. I think Hall went 7-7 and missed a single FT (shot a lot of them), and Wessel and Baker were dynamite early. It didn't look like they could miss.

I probably wouldn't take Wessel and Baker over Colt Ryan, but I'd take Carl Hall down low on the block against anyone on the Valley if he plays like he did tonight. Can't wait to see if he brings the same game to the Valley.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CBB_Fan » November 6th, 2012, 7:08 am

CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LJay » November 6th, 2012, 7:16 am

Aargh wrote:If WSU ran a UE offense and ran everything through either Wessel or Baker, either one of those guys could get the points Ryan will put up.

If WSU ran a CU offense, Carl Hall would emerge as the best PF in the Valley. WSU bases their game on a lot of different players doing a lot of things - rather than pumping the stats of a single player.

If there is a better Fr guard combo than Baker and VanVleet in the Valley in the past decade - make it 20 yuears - I want to hear about them.

Shocker fans are amazed that they take so much s*** on this Site. :Bam:
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 6th, 2012, 8:18 am

valleychamp wrote:
Aargh wrote:If WSU ran a UE offense and ran everything through either Wessel or Baker, either one of those guys could get the points Ryan will put up.

If WSU ran a CU offense, Carl Hall would emerge as the best PF in the Valley. WSU bases their game on a lot of different players doing a lot of things - rather than pumping the stats of a single player.

If there is a better Fr guard combo than Baker and VanVleet in the Valley in the past decade - make it 20 yuears - I want to hear about them.

So, Wessel/Baker are better than Colt Ryan, Carl Hall is better than Carmicheal and McDermott, and Baker/VV are the best Fr guards in the last 10 years.

Those are some bold statements based off of 1 exhibition game. I guess we shall soon see...

You forgot to add that all of the foul calls were due to poor officiating. It was not the WSU player's fault that one guy fouled out in 11 only minutes of play and another guy had 4 fouls in 11 whole minutes of play against a d2 team.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shocker_Phi » November 6th, 2012, 9:10 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
valleychamp wrote:

So, Wessel/Baker are better than Colt Ryan, Carl Hall is better than Carmicheal and McDermott, and Baker/VV are the best Fr guards in the last 10 years.

You forgot to add that all of the foul calls were due to poor officiating. It was not the WSU player's fault that one guy fouled out in 11 only minutes of play and another guy had 4 fouls in 11 whole minutes of play against a d2 team.

Wow, never would have guessed you'd play that card. Thanks for surprising me! Psh... As I stated earlier, yes there were a ton of fouls, but it was equal on both teams. One player on both teams fouled out and it was nobody's fault. The refs just became very picky and it became boring.

And yes, it is amazing how much crap we get on this site. Yes, maybe we make some bold predictions, but any ecstatic fan is going to be doing that early in the season, and WSU has a lot of fans like that. Thanks for restoring the faith that this site would truly disappoint once again. See you all in Valley play... :roll:
Shocker_Phi
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 6th, 2012, 10:10 am

Shocker_Phi wrote:Yes, maybe we make some bold predictions, but any ecstatic fan is going to be doing that early in the season, and WSU has a lot of fans like that.

But see, that's the thing....nobody else is doing that. Every team in the league has played an exhibition game (or two) by now and none of the other fanbases have reacted that way. Creighton have 60+ points at the half and I don't remember anyone here claiming that the Jay's scrubs were better than all of the best players on the other MVC schools.

The fact of the matter is that these exhibitions offer very little to analyze where a team stands because, for the most part, MVC teams are night and day better than the D2/D3 squads that we have to play. I wish the NCAA would go back to the days where schools were allowed to play semi-pro, barnstorming teams or national teams.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 7th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Here is Shocker beat writer, Paul Sullentrop's, take on the MVC exhibition season. An analysis of Wichita State's 9 opponents was performed. The previous article was his take on the Shocker's exhibition.

http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » November 7th, 2012, 11:04 pm

UNI gets to play their defacto 3rd exhibition game on Saturday. Wartburg may actually be worse than either team we played in exhibition games already.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » November 7th, 2012, 11:20 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:UNI gets to play their defacto 3rd exhibition game on Saturday. Wartburg may actually be worse than either team we played in exhibition games already.

Future UNI opponent, UNLV, is down by 5 in OT to D2 Dixie State in their final exhibition game...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TNMSUFAN » November 10th, 2012, 1:00 am

Even though it was the regular season just putting this one here...season starts next week when San Diego St comes to town.

Bears beat Philander Smith tonight 89-61

Final Stats
http://www.missouristatebears.com/sport ... /mosu.html

Gavin Thurman 19pts 8rbs 2ast
Marcus Marshall 16pts 5rbs 3ast
Christian Kirk 14pts 4rbs 3ast
Drew Wilson 12pts 11rbs
Anthony Downing 12pts 2rbs 3ast
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext