ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

CU's Secret Scrimmage

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: CU's Secret Scrimmage

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » October 29th, 2012, 8:58 am

I hate that these things are so clandestine and secretive. And the lack of info does nothing to grow the game either. Finally it robs the fans or seeing an additional exibihition game.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » October 29th, 2012, 9:48 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I hate that these things are so clandestine and secretive. And the lack of info does nothing to grow the game either. Finally it robs the fans or seeing an additional exibihition game.

True it sucks for us fans. But from a coaches perspective I fully understand the benefit. Playing a NAIA team vs almost a full day of working on situations and scrimmaging against another quality Div 1 opponent. I guarantee they get more from the scrimmage as a team than playing some Div III school.

I've just learned to accept it as Marshall REALLY enjoys the benefits of the scrimmage vs playing another exhibition game. I think if he could scrimmage 2 teams and do away with exhibition games all together he would LOL.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 29th, 2012, 10:03 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I hate that these things are so clandestine and secretive. And the lack of info does nothing to grow the game either.

I'm okay with the silly secrecy rules for one reason only --- I think without these rules, the BCS schools would never agree to scrimmage mids. They know their fanbases would go ape$hit if they even lost a scrimmage to a mid major, so keeping the results 'secret' gives them protection I suppose. In other words, the same reasons that they won't schedule us now for the most part, would just be applied to scrimmages.

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Finally it robs the fans or seeing an additional exibihition game.

Ever since they changed the rules limiting exhibitions to only D2 or lower teams, who wants to go to two exhibitions? And how much can a school really learn about itself/get better from playing D2 or lower teams? The games usually end up in a blowout. Back when you could play semipro teams like an Athletes in Action or particular countries' national teams (i.e., the Russian National Team) at least you knew your team would be challenged.

If you want another exhibition all you really have to do is schedule a SWAC or MEAC school. Those schools are probably weaker then many D2 schools (and probably should be forced to move down a division) anyway...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 29th, 2012, 11:18 am

Some of those semi-pro teams were really rough and occasionally caused injuries…or they only brought 6 players, all of which were wing guards and thought they were Kobe. Pretty unorganized.

Foreign teams were okay.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 29th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Wufan wrote:Some of those semi-pro teams were really rough and occasionally caused injuries…or they only brought 6 players, all of which were wing guards and thought they were Kobe. Pretty unorganized.

True, but they were still better for testing your team than playing D2/D3 squads.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby johnnydugouts » October 29th, 2012, 1:50 pm

katz needs to check his sources.

there were two sessions followed by situational practice. the iowa regular rotation beat the CU regular rotation, but the CU backups beat the iowa backups.

overall, it was evenly contested
johnnydugouts
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby PantherSigEp » October 29th, 2012, 1:52 pm

johnnydugouts wrote:katz needs to check his sources.

there were two sessions followed by situational practice. the iowa regular rotation beat the CU regular rotation, but the CU backups beat the iowa backups.

I have heard similar things. The 2/3 squads for Creighton beat the 2/3 squads for Iowa, but the Hawkeyes beat the 1 squad. Now if only we could see who exactly played on each one of those squads
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » October 29th, 2012, 1:57 pm

johnnydugouts wrote:katz needs to check his sources.

Your source?????
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TrueBlueJay » October 29th, 2012, 2:05 pm

So wait...Iowa and CU played 5 on 5 with no substitutions for half the scrimmage while everyone else watched. Then the other half of the scrimmage Iowa and CU let the first five rest and let the 2nd and 3rd teams play against each other. Oh yeah - if I was a coach this is how I would have wanted this closed door scrimmage to go :huh: I'm sure neither coach wanted to try to figure out substitution patterns or to see how certain bench players played with the starting 5.

I don't care who "won" and who "lost". But to think that this is how the scrimmage went down is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard here.
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball