If you lost your Star Player before conference...?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby the valley boys » October 30th, 2012, 10:03 am

If you lost your Star Player before conference play began, how would your season end?

1. Jackie Carmichael, Illinois State
2. Doug McDermott, Creighton
3. Jake Odum, Indiana State
4. Colt Ryan, Evansville
5. Ben Simons, Drake
6. Carl Hall, Wichita State
7. Anthony James, Northern Iowa
8. Anthony Downing, Missouri State
9. Dantiel Daniels, Southern Illinois
10. Walt Lemon Jr, Bradley
the valley boys
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: If you lost your Star Player before conference...?

Postby 2livewu » October 30th, 2012, 10:17 am

Some of those teams would be in real big trouble.

Indiana State, Evansville and Drake would be in a world of hurt. MSU, SIU and Bradley are already going to struggle but it certainly won't help them.

WSU certainly needs Hall to be successful but at least we have athletic size to replace him with if needed. Offensively though we'd be terribly challenged in the post. Losing Carl probably knocks WSU down into the 17-21 win range I'd guess, although they would have a chance to get better with their depth.

I don't think it would cost UNI a bunch, but obviously scoring would become an even greater challenge for the Panthers.

Illinois State could adjust but it would kill their chances at upending CU (assuming CU is healthy). Jackie is one of the few players that has a chance against GE.

CU would still be pretty good, but certainly easier to guard. Frankly, I'd much rather see them without GE than Doug, if I had that option.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » October 30th, 2012, 11:21 am

Agree about CU, would rather see them without GE than Doug. I have similar thoughts about UNI. I think losing Tuttle would hurt them more than losing James.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » October 30th, 2012, 1:11 pm

I guess my thought regarding UNI is that it is kind of nice that we don't have a single "star" player but several very good ones who each play different roles. Not that James isn't good and important, but his role isn't 'vital' in the same way some of the others may leave a void. He isn't a point guard, so ball handling duties don't rely on him like we rely on Mitchell or Sonnen (or Morrison for that matter). He isn't our top defensive stopper even though he is good (the toughest defensive assignment for guards is usually given to Sonnen). He is a scorer, though we should have more options this year in that regard. Plus, he is alreasy sitting out the first three games, so we will see how much is missing without him. I would think losing Tuttle may hurt us the most as he is our inside scoring presence. Koch brings a lot of intangibles (he led us in assists and blocked shots last year) that might be more noticeably missing without him.

Of course not having a star player is also difficult as you don't have single player who can take over a game when the team needs him to like we used to have with Ben Jacobson or Eric Coleman or even Kwadzo some his senior year. (Though our 2010 team never really had a single 'star' either but several different guys who stepped up a different times.)
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuShock Reaper » October 30th, 2012, 7:23 pm

If each of those teams lost their star player, they would be up the old proverbial poop creek without a paddle. However, Your Wichita State Shockers would be just fine. We have Coach Gregg Marshall and you guys have what you can afford.
WuShock Reaper
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » October 30th, 2012, 7:53 pm

2livewu wrote:Some of those teams would be in real big trouble.

Indiana State, Evansville and Drake would be in a world of hurt. MSU, SIU and Bradley are already going to struggle but it certainly won't help them.

Obviously, I wouldn't want Drake to be without Simons, but I think it would hurt less than being without Van Deest or Clarke. If Simons went down, the guy who would take his place is a guy who was a starter all of last season (Jeffers). Bulldogs don't have an experienced backup at the 4 or 5.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shock » October 31st, 2012, 7:56 am

CU is already easy to guard, ISUR would finish second, and WSU wouldn't lose a step. WSU is by far the most talented team in the valley, and its not even close.
Our last five are still collectively better than your starting lineup.
shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ictjay » October 31st, 2012, 9:23 am

shock wrote:CU is already easy to guard, ISUR would finish second, and WSU wouldn't lose a step. WSU is by far the most talented team in the valley, and its not even close.

Great post Shock. Way to rally around Cold. You really got us on that one. :bow:
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jays26 » October 31st, 2012, 10:10 am

ictjay wrote:
shock wrote:CU is already easy to guard, ISUR would finish second, and WSU wouldn't lose a step. WSU is by far the most talented team in the valley, and its not even close.

Great post Shock. Way to rally around Cold. You really got us on that one. :bow:

When he grows up he wants to be a DB like Cold. :bounce:
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shock » October 31st, 2012, 10:37 am

Lol. Cold is what you make him.
Our last five are still collectively better than your starting lineup.
shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball