If you lost your Star Player before conference...?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If you lost your Star Player before conference...?

Postby shockem » November 1st, 2012, 7:01 am

I wouldn't necessarily say that the primary goal is to make the ncaa tournament. There are many teams that fluke into the tournament each year by winning their conference tournament. That doesn't always mean they had a great season. We at wsu are thrilled that we have a coach putting up 25 wins a year. It is frustrating to get relegated to the NIT after a great season, but i'd take a steady stream of top 2 league finishes every time, and i bet drake and indy state fans would say the same thing.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CBB_Fan » November 1st, 2012, 8:39 am

iSASO wrote:Carl Hall can't shoot a lick beyond 2 feet and everyone else is unproven.

True. Last season.

I was surprised when I saw him shooting 15-17 foot shots with good form and with high efficiency. Hopefully, other teams will be surprised as well. He's very improved from last year.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » November 1st, 2012, 9:57 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Aargh wrote:If you're going to rag on Gregg Marshall for signing JuCo's, then you need to rag on Bill Snyder for signing JuCo's, because Snyder put K-State FB together with huge reliance on JuCo's. K-State was the pre-season 5th place pick in the B12 because the team "lacked experience".

So now we're comparing Marshall to Bill Snyder? :roll:

Where did you learn your reading comprehension skills? Taking Marksmnship and Basketball Theory at CU?

I was attempting to join the discussion on JuCo players by pointing out that some very successful coaches rely heavily on JuCo players and cited an example to demonstrate that point. You either aptly demonstrated your lack of reading comprehension by incorrectly finding a comparison in my statement, or you just lost your argument against JuCo's, so you tried to change the subject of my post to something that wasn't there.

How did your AA and National PoY do against Joe Ragland, Carl Hall, and Ben Smith last year? Certainly CU's powerhouse could overwhelm a team filled with (in your mindset) a "bunch of dumb jucos".

I don't see how the mods let you get away with calling several of WSU's players "dumb jucos". that's just not right.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 1st, 2012, 10:42 am

Aargh wrote:I was attempting to join the discussion on JuCo players by pointing out that some very successful coaches rely heavily on JuCo players and cited an example to demonstrate that point. You either aptly demonstrated your lack of reading comprehension by incorrectly finding a comparison in my statement,

Well, here is what you said ---
Aargh wrote:If you're going to rag on Gregg Marshall for signing JuCo's, then you need to rag on Bill Snyder for signing JuCo's, because Snyder put K-State FB together with huge reliance on JuCo's.

Note the "if.....then" language. You are specifically saying one must rag on Snyder if one rags on Marshall. That is a direct comparison; you are saying they are the same, hence the requirement for the same reaction/treatment.

(As an aside, I'd point out that you are taking my comments about JUCOs in their first year and applying it across JUCos regardless of their year in a system. Speaking of a "lack of reading comprehension" :roll: )

Aargh wrote:I don't see how the mods let you get away with calling several of WSU's players "dumb jucos". that's just not right.

I don't think you know how to use quotation marks correctly; one uses them to denote exactly what another has said or written. I never said what you have in quotes (so there is no need for the mods to let me get away with anything). You probably should refrain from pithy comments about reading comprehension - you obviously have none. Instead, you simply make sh!t up and then accuse others of saying it!
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » November 1st, 2012, 11:52 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Aargh wrote:I was attempting to join the discussion on JuCo players by pointing out that some very successful coaches rely heavily on JuCo players and cited an example to demonstrate that point. You either aptly demonstrated your lack of reading comprehension by incorrectly finding a comparison in my statement,

Well, here is what you said ---
Aargh wrote:If you're going to rag on Gregg Marshall for signing JuCo's, then you need to rag on Bill Snyder for signing JuCo's, because Snyder put K-State FB together with huge reliance on JuCo's.

Note the "if.....then" language. You are specifically saying one must rag on Snyder if one rags on Marshall. That is a direct comparison; you are saying they are the same, hence the requirement for the same reaction/treatment.

(As an aside, I'd point out that you are taking my comments about JUCOs in their first year and applying it across JUCos regardless of their year in a system. Speaking of a "lack of reading comprehension" :roll: )

Aargh wrote:I don't see how the mods let you get away with calling several of WSU's players "dumb jucos". that's just not right.

I don't think you know how to use quotation marks correctly; one uses them to denote exactly what another has said or written. I never said what you have in quotes (so there is no need for the mods to let me get away with anything). You probably should refrain from pithy comments about reading comprehension - you obviously have none. Instead, you simply make sh!t up and then accuse others of saying it!

I think it is clear what he was trying to say. If signing JUCOs is a bad way to succeed, it would be the same for all coaches; no one would succeed with them. The fact that Bill Snyder is successful with them shows that they "can" be good for a program, albeit with an amazing coach and in a different sport.

Oh, and your actual words were "most JUCO kids aren't exactly intellectual heavyweights." That is pretty much exactly what it looks like. You say that most JUCO kids are less intelligent than most normal recruits. Paraphrasing (I know the difference), your statement was that Wichita State would be hurt by the fact that the JUCO players would not be intelligent enough to get their system down early in the season.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoBraves » November 1st, 2012, 12:27 pm

Bradley needs EVERYONE to remain healthy. Period. in order to have a chance to stay out of Thursday or to achieve a .500 overall record.

If WL gets injured, I believe it would have the same impact as DSE, Egolf, Prosser, Pickett getting injured.
Lemon is not a true PG either, though he's shown signs of getting better and holding his own.
DSE and Bell could fill that role if needed.
We have other play-makers like Simms-Edwards, Shayok, and maybe a couple others who can score.
What would be missing is his extreme quickness with the ball, which is up there with the best in the league.
I'm not diminishing Walt's importance - last year he was the toughest and most intense of all the Braves. I feel that this attitude has filtered into the what you'll see from BU this season.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shock » November 1st, 2012, 11:50 pm

I think the biggest impact to WSU would be if Early got hurt.
Our last five are still collectively better than your starting lineup.
shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockem » November 2nd, 2012, 6:54 am

The shockers need carl hall, period. We have enough guards that we could mix and match and still be fine. We have no proven center other than carl hall. Jake white looks ready to contribute at the 4 spot with Early. Without hall our big man lineup would take quite a hit.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shock » November 2nd, 2012, 7:25 am

Completly forgot about Jake White. Nm then carry on...
Our last five are still collectively better than your starting lineup.
shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby LMS » November 5th, 2012, 8:41 pm

If Doug was lost to injury I assume Wragge would start and do a capable job. The offense would become much different though and less focused on touches in the paint.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball