MVC Hoops show

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Hoops show

Postby MVCfans » December 30th, 2012, 7:54 am

If you were unable to listen, the podcast of yesterday's show has been posted on the blog. Great interview with Doug Elgin as we set the table for conference play.

link: http://www.mvchoopsshow.blogspot.com
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ptownbraves » December 30th, 2012, 9:55 am

I will admit I am completely clueless when it comes to the radio business. That being said, it would be great if you could get on-air here in St. Louis. One of the things I always hear fans complaining about during Arch Madness is the lack of local attendance. Maybe some MVC talk on the airwaves would get folks more interested in the Valley. I would think with STL being the home of the Valley headquarters there would be some mutual interest in promoting the MVC here.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » December 30th, 2012, 11:01 am

ptownbraves wrote:I will admit I am completely clueless when it comes to the radio business. That being said, it would be great if you could get on-air here in St. Louis. One of the things I always hear fans complaining about during Arch Madness is the lack of local attendance. Maybe some MVC talk on the airwaves would get folks more interested in the Valley. I would think with STL being the home of the Valley headquarters there would be some mutual interest in promoting the MVC here.

St Louis and Kansas City were both explored. It is difficult to pitch a show that doesn't exist (except in theory) to people and ask them to air in. Starting from scratch, we are essentially donating our time to get this project off the ground, but we were lucky to have Complete Nutrition as a corporate sponsor which gave some credibility. Plus, the Valley has been very supportive in getting us contacts in various cities. Even with that we had MVC towns like Terre Haute and Springfield where it was all but impossible to get stations to even consider it. On the other hand, stations in Des Moines and Wichita were very positive during the process and willing to work with us.

The bottom line is that the 10-12 shows this year are hopefully setting a foundation for improved access next year and in the future. If you are in a town that does not carry the show, I suppose you could send emails to the program directors of those stations. I have that information if anyone wants it.

We are happy with where we are and acknowledge we will have some growing pains along the way. We hope that everyone will listen to the show whether live or via the podcast (http://www.mvchoopsshow.blogspot.com/). We are open to your comments and suggestions.

Also, in case you missed it - there was a trivia question asked at the end of the show. One winner each week will be entered into a drawing - we're hoping to get a couple of Arch Madness tickets to give away. So a 1 in 10 chance. You can tweet answers to @mvchoopsshow or submit them on the MVC Hoops Show facebook page.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby pafan » December 30th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Terre Haute is a strange case because the ISUb games moved from an all-sports station the last several years to a country station this year. It was an upgrade for the trees because I can get their new station in Evansville, but not ideal for any extra ISUb talk.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby shoxrox » December 30th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Listened to the podcast. Not a bad first show. I sorta wish you'd divulge into the individual games a little more, but overall, pretty good.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUShock » December 30th, 2012, 10:51 pm

A show focusing on the Valley for the sake of the Valley is a good thing. Thank you for the podcast streams.

Go Valley!!

Go Shocks!!!!
DUShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » January 2nd, 2013, 9:08 am

Just listened. Great job for the first show.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » January 2nd, 2013, 5:24 pm

shoxrox wrote:Listened to the podcast. Not a bad first show. I sorta wish you'd divulge into the individual games a little more, but overall, pretty good.

The first show had some hiccups because we found out Coach Ford couldn't do the show on short notice. That and it was the first show so not everything goes exactly the way we would like it too. Fortunately, Elgin was pretty forthright about where the Valley stands on realignment. I don't recall hearing him address the issue since the Catholic 7 made their announcement. It certainly sounds like the MVC has done their due diligence and is ready to act if necessary.

As far as the games, we'd like to get into additional conversation but it's tricky talking about the Saturday games in great detail because the show is on at different times - 6am in Wichita, 5pm in Des Moines, for example. As we get into the season a little deeper we should be able to discuss the bigger picture of the conference race a little more to in relation to the specific games.

We are going to try some ideas out and see what works well. We are very fortunate to have the support of the league office as we try to make this something that fans of the MVC enjoy. We are open to feedback, so please let us know what you like and don't like. There are several ways to reach us and listen to the show.

blog: http://www.mvcshoopsshow.blogspot.com
email: mvchoopsshow@yahoo.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/MVCHoopsShow
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball