Article about MVC coaching salaries

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby DUBulldog » November 5th, 2012, 9:35 am

link

Quite a wide disparity within the conference.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Article about MVC coaching salaries

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 5th, 2012, 10:09 am

I feel a Coldblooded meltdown on the way...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby kochhead22 » November 5th, 2012, 10:20 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I feel a Coldblooded meltdown on the way...

Sad to say when i saw a link to this article earlier the first thing that popped in to my head was what he would have to say about it.
kochhead22
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 5th, 2012, 10:31 am

Some schools are simply fiscally irresponsible.

To pay a guy in the neighborhood of a million dollars a year to coach the game of college basketball is almost tragic. With so little public money being available for higher education anymore, it is laughable to spend that kind of $ on basketball. I love the game but there are more important things in this world.

And I get that WSU has to give lots of cash to keep Marshall in the middle of the state of Kansas but for the life of me I don't get the McD money. Who is banging down the door to get him? No major BCS schools I can assure you of that. He is at best an average coach once his son is in the NBA, NBDL or Europe. CU could have payed him half of that and use the rest either in athletics to improve things or elsewhere at the university.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » November 5th, 2012, 11:34 am

With the Ozark mentality, you can see why Cuonzo Martin got the hell out of there so quick after his first sniff of success.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 5th, 2012, 11:51 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Some schools are simply fiscally irresponsible.

To pay a guy in the neighborhood of a million dollars a year to coach the game of college basketball is almost tragic. With so little public money being available for higher education anymore, it is laughable to spend that kind of $ on basketball. I love the game but there are more important things in this world.

And I get that WSU has to give lots of cash to keep Marshall in the middle of the state of Kansas but for the life of me I don't get the McD money. Who is banging down the door to get him? No major BCS schools I can assure you of that. He is at best an average coach once his son is in the NBA, NBDL or Europe. CU could have payed him half of that and use the rest either in athletics to improve things or elsewhere at the university.

I can safely say that in the case of Gregg Marshall's salary, there is a significant return on investment. By paying him more (and keeping him) WSU earns more money by having a better program. I believe HCGM will make 1.4 million this year as he gets an annual guaranteed raise in the neighborhood of Lansing's full salary.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » November 5th, 2012, 11:58 am

Isn't a significant majority of those higher salaries typically funded by private donations? That money isn't likely to come in to the university at all if not for the coach who is ultimately receiving it.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby jaybydna » November 5th, 2012, 11:59 am

Mr. Garrison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 5th, 2012, 1:32 pm

I'd argue that basketball success has a marketing benefit which is not ascertainable. I know that most MVC schools would not be able to afford the same amount of advertising. The corresponding increase in alumni pride and contributions is also extremely valuable.

As the article clearly points out, Creighton and WSU aren't hemorrhaging cash by investing in FCS football like your own MSu and other MVC schools. To me, that is much more "fiscally irresponsible", to coin your phrase, then spending the money on basketball coaches that win and the money that funds the entire operations of an entire athletic department.

I guess what it comes down to is what is more important to your school's fanbase -- a winning basketball program that earns the revenue to finance an athletic department or fielding a FCS football program and using up the valuable resources that could be used to build up your basketball program.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 5th, 2012, 1:57 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

I'd argue that basketball success has a marketing benefit which is not ascertainable. I know that most MVC schools would not be able to afford the same amount of advertising. The corresponding increase in alumni pride and contributions is also extremely valuable.

As the article clearly points out, Creighton and WSU aren't hemorrhaging cash by investing in FCS football like your own MSu and other MVC schools. To me, that is much more "fiscally irresponsible", to coin your phrase, then spending the money on basketball coaches that win and the money that funds the entire operations of an entire athletic department.

I guess what it comes down to is what is more important to your school's fanbase -- a winning basketball program that earns the revenue to finance an athletic department or fielding a FCS football program and using up the valuable resources that could be used to build up your basketball program.

Its just not as simple and black and white as you believe it to be.

For many schools, football even at a mid-major level, means every bit as much as a strong basketball program when it comes to advertising, contributions, pride, and overall identity and profile of the university.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball