WSU men: Marshall finds way to continued success

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby C0|db|00ded » November 5th, 2012, 3:07 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/03/38 ... ay-to.html

During Wichita State’s NIT championship run, he enthusiastically rejected the notion he coaches at a mid-major. Check my bank account, he said. Check the way my team travels, and the budget, and my talent and the Koch Arena crowd, he challenged.

“I knew coming in, if given time, we could be very successful here because of the renovations to the facility and the great crowd support, which means revenue,” he said. “When you eliminate excuses why you can’t win, then it’s up to you to win. We’ve got what we need to win.”

Marshall and his coaching staff are proving that in landmark numbers. His 2011 team won a school-record 29 games on its way to the NIT championship. The Shockers followed with 27 wins, a Missouri Valley Conference title and an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2012. Those 56 wins are the second-most in MVC history for a two-season span.

While WSU still plays in the shadow of the Big 12, people notice its success nationally. ESPN loves showing games at Koch Arena because of the atmosphere. WSU was the first MVC member to play in the Maui Invitational and it regularly lands spots in good tournaments because of its fan support and reputation.

At many schools, losing two members of a class is devastating. Marshall prepared and filled those scholarships. He finds it funny that fans and the media are concerned about his ability to count to 13 scholarships allowed by the NCAA.

“Towards the end (with Hawkins), we kind of knew where he was and we reacted accordingly,” Marshall said. “My college coach … used to say, ‘You’re only as good as your secondary recruiting list’ at some point. That secondary recruiting list better be really good.”

Sexton thinks the program checks all the major boxes for facilities and amenities. That doesn’t mean work stops. WSU is evaluating its locker rooms. A recruiting room, where coaches and administrators meet with athletes and families, is the latest upgrade in recruiting wars to catch Sexton’s attention.

A few years ago, it was common to see athletic directors and boosters from other MVC schools touring Koch Arena. Bradley opened a basketball practice facility in 2010. Evansville is opening one this fall and Creighton recently announced plans.

“We made investments in our facility way ahead of many of our competitors in the conference and they are starting to catch up,” Sexton said. “We look at those things every year.”

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: WSU men: Marshall finds way to continued success

Postby valleychamp » November 5th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Maybe you should purchase a "Highest Paid Coach" banner to hang up alongside all of your NIT banners in the roundhouse.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 5th, 2012, 3:52 pm

valleychamp wrote:Maybe you should purchase a "Highest Paid Coach" banner to hang up alongside all of your NIT banners in the roundhouse.

The banner space has become restricted with all the championship and All-American banners in Koch. Teams like WSU, Bradley, and Drake were hanging final four banners when Iowa State Teachers College was changing it's name to the more prestigious "State College of Iowa."

There are exactly four MVC schools that have played in the final four. Please come back when you have an elite 8 appearance.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 5th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 5th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Ah, the coveted NIT net cutting ceremony. :)
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » November 5th, 2012, 4:10 pm

valleychamp wrote:Ah, the coveted NIT net cutting ceremony. :)

I couldn't tell where that photo was from at first but I knew where it wasn't - Arch Madness.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 5th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Made it to the Elite 8 in the last hour did we?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 5th, 2012, 4:21 pm

LMS wrote:

I couldn't tell where that photo was from at first but I knew where it wasn't - Arch Madness.

As for Creighton, perhaps this is the year that you finally win a second round NCAA tournament game...in just your 18th appearance.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 5th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Wufan wrote:

Made it to the Elite 8 in the last hour did we?

Like WSU, UNI has not been to the Elite 8 one time in the last 30 years. 8-)
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 5th, 2012, 4:29 pm

What if the timeline was 31 years? Since we are keeping timelines, which current member has been there in past 30 years? You must prefer to track from 2010 forward.

I welcome criticism from Bradley, Drake and Indiana State. They understand what it means to be relevant on a national stage.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball