Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby sixth ace » September 15th, 2015, 11:18 am

Wufan wrote:The Sporting News Pre-Season AA list is out. FVV places on the second team and Baker on the first.

Congrats to them for them making the AA list
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sixth ace » September 15th, 2015, 11:19 am

sixth ace wrote:
Wufan wrote:The Sporting News Pre-Season AA list is out. FVV places on the second team and Baker on the first.

Congrats to them for making the AA list
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » September 17th, 2015, 11:40 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:Wessel may be the most under-recognized, winningest player in MVC history.

Lets be honest he is only the winningest because of guys like FVV, Baker, Cotton, Carter, Early, etc. Don't get me wrong he definitely plays a role on that team. You want to recognize him for loose ball hunting ability and scrappy play?? Sure knock yourself out he is the best you'll fine. Key cog in what has been an historical 5 year run for Wichita?? Naw.

Hell he only played 12 minutes a night and averaged 1 point a game on the team that went undefeated in the regular season. Don't get me started on the he would be a great player anywhere else in the valley either. He would still have his niche but honestly he probably doesn't even get half as many good looks at 3 without defenses paying so much attention to FVV and Baker. I know it sounds like a lot of hate for the guy , but its directed toward the over the top comment. I would love to have him on any team I coached or rooted for.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » September 17th, 2015, 1:00 pm

jackwagon wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:Wessel may be the most under-recognized, winningest player in MVC history.

Lets be honest he is only the winningest because of guys like FVV, Baker, Cotton, Carter, Early, etc. Don't get me wrong he definitely plays a role on that team. You want to recognize him for loose ball hunting ability and scrappy play?? Sure knock yourself out he is the best you'll fine. Key cog in what has been an historical 5 year run for Wichita?? Naw.

No one is claiming he is an All-American. But to claim he isn't a key player in a fantastic run shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of basketball and what it takes to win those games. For every open 3 Wessel has shot because of sagging defenses, he's contributed 2 extra possessions for those other players to work with.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 17th, 2015, 5:34 pm

He also started 8 or so games for the Shockers as a sophomore before breaking his finger. That team went on to the final four. He played out of position last year and did well in every facet except scoring. If he plays the 3 this year, as is the plan, he will be dangerous. Not all-valley, but very effective.

It's good to be talking basketball again!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 18th, 2015, 10:29 am

Wufan wrote:He also started 8 or so games for the Shockers as a sophomore before breaking his finger. That team went on to the final four. He played out of position last year and did well in every facet except scoring. If he plays the 3 this year, as is the plan, he will be dangerous. Not all-valley, but very effective.

Wessel reminds me of Keith Pickens who recently played for the Bears. Both tough as nails and willing to do anything to win. You have to love guys like that.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 18th, 2015, 11:06 am

glm38 wrote:
Wufan wrote:He also started 8 or so games for the Shockers as a sophomore before breaking his finger. That team went on to the final four. He played out of position last year and did well in every facet except scoring. If he plays the 3 this year, as is the plan, he will be dangerous. Not all-valley, but very effective.

Wessel reminds me of Keith Pickens who recently played for the Bears. Both tough as nails and willing to do anything to win. You have to love guys like that.

Decent comparison. How Pickens continued to play the way he did through his injuries was a testament to his will.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby C0|db|00ded » September 18th, 2015, 4:27 pm

[quote="Wufan"]He also started 8 or so games for the Shockers as a sophomore before breaking his finger. That team went on to the final four. He played out of position last year and did well in every facet except scoring. If he plays the 3 this year, as is the plan, he will be dangerous. Not all-valley, but very effective.

It's good to be talking basketball again![/quote]

Dangerous on the nights he is hitting. I suspect that if he is permanently moved out of his spot at TPF (tiny power forward), his average minutes could go down significantly. Some nights he just won't be hitting. If on those nights he isn't grabbing rebounds and loose balls in the paint either, what will his purpose be?

One of Evan's greatest assets are his lack of turnovers. He was like 2:1 last year. He is a smart passer, great rebounder for his size, great post defender for his size, and the best guy in the nation in going after loose balls. If he's positioned outside the scrums he usually frequents, his contributions to the team drop dramatically.

I think he could still be playing TPF this year, as insane as that sounds for the reasons mentioned. I have no faith in his shooting consistency and if you're not a good shooter by now...

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » September 20th, 2015, 3:54 pm

If Wessel is positioned on the court, he is positioned to be in the scrums for loose balls.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball