Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby Black » December 1st, 2013, 2:37 pm

Since BEARZ77 was at the SLU game today, I'm looking forward to his analysis of Baker.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby iSASO » December 1st, 2013, 2:44 pm

Black wrote:Since BEARZ77 was at the SLU game today, I'm looking forward to his analysis of Baker.

Bearz77, did you see Baker giving Doug Gottlieb a little education after the game?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bradleyfan1 » December 1st, 2013, 10:47 pm

Tip of the cap to MR BAKER! that is all.
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 2nd, 2013, 5:54 pm

I don't know if anyone cares at this point, but I have attached a link from Doug Gottlieb where he says the Shox aren't top 10 worthy just yet; however, what I would like you to see is Ron Baker taking it to the rim. Check out the highlight video if interested.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer ... op-10-team
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » December 2nd, 2013, 6:32 pm

Very interesting game from individual battles standpoint. Game was very physical and while there were a fair number of fouls called, the officials let a lot of contact go. Thought Van Vleet and Early struggled with SLU's physicality; thought Baker thrived in that type of game. Baker wanted the ball down the stretch and played like the best player on the court most of the night. Thought SLU got away from Evans and Loe at a time when they really had the advantage with WSU already at 10 fouls while SLU only had 6, and it cost them the game.

Both teams played solid, physical defense, WSU had much more talent, but SLU plays hard, smart, and is a veteran team. I think they're less talented than a couple other Valley squads, but play better defense and are very disciplined, a team you have to beat usually instead of beating themselves. They had a number of silly turnovers and possessions by Jett that really cost them , but then he scores 5 consecutive pts to try to keep them in it; however , I thought his matchup with Baker was decisive. Jett's strong but he and the other Billiken guards were much too short in general to defend Baker once he got inside. Early came thru with two clutch shots, but he will have to get a lot stronger for the NBA; SLU was physical with him and he struggled much of the game. Evans is a really powerful 6'5 force, could play for anyone I think.

Think the better team won, but also think it's a game SLU should have won once they had it where they did mid second half. That will end up WSU's best win I believe given it came on SLU's home court. They won't lose much in this year's A-10.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » December 2nd, 2013, 10:26 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Very interesting game from individual battles standpoint. Game was very physical and while there were a fair number of fouls called, the officials let a lot of contact go. Thought Van Vleet and Early struggled with SLU's physicality; thought Baker thrived in that type of game. Baker wanted the ball down the stretch and played like the best player on the court most of the night. Thought SLU got away from Evans and Loe at a time when they really had the advantage with WSU already at 10 fouls while SLU only had 6, and it cost them the game.

Outstanding analysis.

BEARZ77 wrote:Both teams played solid, physical defense, WSU had much more talent, but SLU plays hard, smart, and is a veteran team. I think they're less talented than a couple other Valley squads, but play better defense and are very disciplined, a team you have to beat usually instead of beating themselves.

Which 2 squads are you referring to that have more talent than SLU?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » December 3rd, 2013, 12:07 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Very interesting game from individual battles standpoint. Game was very physical and while there were a fair number of fouls called, the officials let a lot of contact go. Thought Van Vleet and Early struggled with SLU's physicality; thought Baker thrived in that type of game. Baker wanted the ball down the stretch and played like the best player on the court most of the night.

http://www.experts123.com/q/what-do-cro ... -like.html
This may help you out on your quest.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Black » December 3rd, 2013, 1:24 am

I at least thank and give credit to Bearz for coming back and doing a recap and analyis. I appreciate it. I don't agree with a lot of the things you stated as there seemed to be some slight back-handedness but whatever. I still don't know if you ever admitted being wrong about Baker's inability to create his own shot, but I guess this is baby steps.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » December 3rd, 2013, 7:11 am

I think you want me to say everything is perfect about the Shocks instead of just honest feedback. I don't delude myself that all my perceptions are always right, but at the same time I don't feel a need to be politically correct just to appease someone. I've made two posts in 5 days praising Baker and gave credit to the Shocks as the better team with more talent vs. SLU. The other points I think are pretty solid if you actually saw the game or looked at the game stats. You may agree or disagree, but I think a little objectivity on your part would lead you to at least acknowledge there is basis for why I saw it that way.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » December 3rd, 2013, 12:35 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I think you want me to say everything is perfect about the Shocks instead of just honest feedback. I don't delude myself that all my perceptions are always right, but at the same time I don't feel a need to be politically correct just to appease someone. I've made two posts in 5 days praising Baker and gave credit to the Shocks as the better team with more talent vs. SLU. The other points I think are pretty solid if you actually saw the game or looked at the game stats. You may agree or disagree, but I think a little objectivity on your part would lead you to at least acknowledge there is basis for why I saw it that way.

No, we don't mind objective analysis. However, your initial analysis of Baker ruined your credibility so you have to continue to prove yourself. Thanks for all that you do and keep on trying.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball