Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby mathewson10 » November 26th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Wufan wrote:You gotta back up your talk. Nobody held his head to the fire and said make a bold prediction.

What book of rules is this written? Nothing wrong with being confident even if it might not be accurate. Has nothing to do with coaching ability.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » November 26th, 2014, 1:08 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
Wufan wrote:You gotta back up your talk. Nobody held his head to the fire and said make a bold prediction.

What book of rules is this written? Nothing wrong with being confident even if it might not be accurate. Has nothing to do with coaching ability.

What you say in the media is absolutely a part of your job as a coach.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » November 26th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

What you say in the media is absolutely a part of your job as a coach.

You are right but that has nothing to with basketball coaching ability. I care less about what the media thinks. Bill Belichick is a jerk to the media but nobody cares (I know different sport, different level of competition, hall of fame coach.) I just don't let the media decide how I view teams, players, or their coaches. The media in most instances give the mid-majors the shaft anyways & then jump on the bandwagon after their success.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mathewson10 » November 26th, 2014, 1:44 pm

PS Baker/VanVleet are good. Not because the media tells me so but because I have seen it with my own eyes.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » November 26th, 2014, 2:00 pm

This isn't about what the media is telling you. The media didn't say ISUr was going to win the Valley. The coach did. There is a big difference.

As a coach, how your represent your team to the outside world is part of the job. You cannot argue that it is a good thing for a coach to show confidence in his team in the media, presumably to build up the confidence of that team, and then turn around and argue that what the coach says in the media is not a part of his coaching ability. In the first, you are supporting the notion that his words have some sort of positive tangible effect on the team's performance, in the second you are saying that the coaches comments and the team's performance are completely unrelated.

I think you could (somewhat) reasonably make either argument, but not both at the same time.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » November 26th, 2014, 2:39 pm

mathewson10 wrote:

So why doesn't every single coach in America vote their team first in their respective leagues? Are those coaches just dumb and have no confidence in their teams?

All Muller did was give out some unnecessary bulletin board material. The #8 Redbirds at 2-2 certainly are not blazing out of the gates.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » November 26th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Could we put Muller voting the Redbirds 1st into another thread? I don't want to have to bore people with another tidbit about Baker or VanVleet every time someone decides to revisit that topic.

Baker has been raised to #3 on ESPN's ranking of the Wooden candidates.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/woodenwatch141126/patterns-forming
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 26th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Aargh wrote:Could we put Muller voting the Redbirds 1st into another thread? I don't want to have to bore people with another tidbit about Baker or VanVleet every time someone decides to revisit that topic.

Before we move this, I have to say that Muller thinks he has a top 10 team in the nation via his voting. That team is 2-2 and has yet to play a top 50 team. That says a lot about his coaching IMO. Either he can't evaluate talent or he is horribly underperforming with great talent. Another possibility? He's full of it.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » November 26th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Wufan wrote:
Aargh wrote:Could we put Muller voting the Redbirds 1st into another thread? I don't want to have to bore people with another tidbit about Baker or VanVleet every time someone decides to revisit that topic.

Before we move this, I have to say that Muller thinks he has a top 10 team in the nation via his voting. That team is 2-2 and has yet to play a top 50 team. That says a lot about his coaching IMO. Either he can't evaluate talent or he is horribly underperforming with great talent. Another possibility? He's full of it.

That's where he thinks they will finish not where they will start. Technically us and and the other 9 teams are tied for first in conference with a 0-0 record still. I have us 3rd not 1st for the record tho :)
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShoxNAwe » November 29th, 2014, 11:06 pm

In today's game against the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes:

Baker and VanVleet combined for:
42 points
8 rebounds
11 assists
0 turnovers

66 minutes of playing time. 11 assists, ZERO turnovers.

Add in Darius Carter and the numbers blossom to:
54 points
12 rebounds
11 assists
0 turnovers
84 minutes
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball