Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby Cdizzle » October 9th, 2014, 4:28 pm

shockem wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:I'd bet a beer or two in St. Louis 4 years from now, that the names Thurman and Marshall will have caused much more opponent angst than Baker and Van Fleet.

Is this guy buying drinks this year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

I think we've been through this one about enough times. Just enjoy the ride, man.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Championz » October 9th, 2014, 7:06 pm

shockem wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:I'd bet a beer or two in St. Louis 4 years from now, that the names Thurman and Marshall will have caused much more opponent angst than Baker and Van Fleet.

Is this guy buying drinks this year?

:+1:

I hope that guy doesn't go to Vegas a lot.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » October 9th, 2014, 8:00 pm

When I started this thread 2 years ago, neither VanVleet or Baker had played a single D1 game. I thought they were going to be special players, but not even I thought I was alerting MVC Fans about 2 future All Americans.

I also didn't know VanVleet would turn out to be one of the most inspirational and motivational players ever to wear a Shocker uniform. VanVleet is in high demand for giving motivational talks at High Schools, Jr. Highs, and neighborhood kids' clubs. He does all those he can around a pretty busy student-athlete schedule. The adults at those functions always say he inspired them and gave them some new ways of looking at things.

WSU fans are fortunate to have Fred around. He's going to have a positive effect on the youth in Wichita for years after he's gone from WSU. In a lot of ways, Fred's off-court actions and persona surpass his on-court abilities.

You might hate him for what he does on the basketball court, but please, consider the message he's putting out to kids whenever he has the chance. If they want something bad enough and are willing to work for it, they can get it. They can get out of the mean streets, they can get an education, they don't have to fall into the pattern of joining up with the thugs or gangs to succeed and be somebody.

Fred has said that in 15 years, no one will remember who he was, so he wants to get the message out now, while he's still relevant to High School and Jr. High kids.

As a fan, I don't deserve having Fred VanVleet playing for the team I support. If there was an All American category for integrity and character, Fred would be in the running for NPoY.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby moshock » October 23rd, 2014, 5:17 pm

3. Wichita State: NBA scouts won’t be lining up at Koch Arena the way they will for other teams on this list, but you’ll be hard-pressed to find a pair of guards with more poise and experience than Fred Van Vleet and Ron Baker, both of whom will make some Preseason All-American teams. Throw in Tekele Cotton, a defensive monster, and Gregg Marshall’s club will match up with anyone in the country.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... r-attacks/
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby rlh04d » November 1st, 2014, 2:26 pm

Aargh wrote:As a fan, I don't deserve having Fred VanVleet playing for the team I support. If there was an All American category for integrity and character, Fred would be in the running for NPoY.

I generally try to distinguish pretty heavily between respect for an athlete's ability and respect for a person's character, based on the fact that if I worried to much about the character of athletes I would never enjoy sports.

VanVleet seems to be an excellent human being. I'm excited to see what he does with his life, beyond sports.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby agrinut » November 2nd, 2014, 6:52 pm

Aargh wrote:When I started this thread 2 years ago, neither VanVleet or Baker had played a single D1 game. I thought they were going to be special players, but not even I thought I was alerting MVC Fans about 2 future All Americans.

I also didn't know VanVleet would turn out to be one of the most inspirational and motivational players ever to wear a Shocker uniform. VanVleet is in high demand for giving motivational talks at High Schools, Jr. Highs, and neighborhood kids' clubs. He does all those he can around a pretty busy student-athlete schedule. The adults at those functions always say he inspired them and gave them some new ways of looking at things.

WSU fans are fortunate to have Fred around. He's going to have a positive effect on the youth in Wichita for years after he's gone from WSU. In a lot of ways, Fred's off-court actions and persona surpass his on-court abilities.

You might hate him for what he does on the basketball court, but please, consider the message he's putting out to kids whenever he has the chance. If they want something bad enough and are willing to work for it, they can get it. They can get out of the mean streets, they can get an education, they don't have to fall into the pattern of joining up with the thugs or gangs to succeed and be somebody.

Fred has said that in 15 years, no one will remember who he was, so he wants to get the message out now, while he's still relevant to High School and Jr. High kids.

As a fan, I don't deserve having Fred VanVleet playing for the team I support. If there was an All American category for integrity and character, Fred would be in the running for NPoY.

He almost make that gaudy yellow tolerable. In all seriousness his character and his ability to overcome adversity has made him easily my favorite player in the league.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 2nd, 2014, 6:58 pm

Ron and Fred both on several pre-season AA lists. Both making at least 1 first team. Both are also on the pre-season Naismith watch.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » November 3rd, 2014, 10:56 pm

FVV 1st Team and Ron Baker received votes

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /18413139/
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShoxNAwe » November 3rd, 2014, 11:10 pm

The sleeping giant is pretty active now.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » November 5th, 2014, 7:17 am

VanVleet a Pre-Season Bob Cousey POY finalist.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball