Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby CBB_Fan » November 27th, 2013, 11:41 am

Baker is giving us everything right now. On his worst shooting night, both from the field and from long range, he still was able to get a new career high of 23 points. Combine that with 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. Even when he can't get his shot to fall he still makes the defense respect it by being so quick on the trigger, creating opportunities for everyone else.

He also was great at the line, 11-11. He and Cotton were shutdown defenders in the second half and a big part of why Haws and Carlino only scored from the line in the last 9 minutes of the game; in fact BYU's last field goal was an 8:35 layup.

Most importantly, he and FVV are an incredible calming influence to this team. We were punched in the gut early (19-6 BYU at one point), but that lead from extending with consistent play. Their 6 assists and 0 TOs allowing Wichita State to stay in meat grinder mode most of the night and didn't allow BYU to run and gun even with really sloppy play from our posts and Wiggins.

For the year Baker and Van Vleet are averaged a combined 28.3 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 9.1 APG, 4 SPG, 1.7 BPG and just 2.4 TOs a game (3.79 A:TO). They are shooting a combined 51.1% FG, 42.5% 3PT, 85.1% FT.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » November 27th, 2013, 11:46 am

CBB_Fan wrote:Baker is giving us everything right now. On his worst shooting night, both from the field and from long range, he still was able to get a new career high of 23 points. Combine that with 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. Even when he can't get his shot to fall he still makes the defense respect it by being so quick on the trigger, creating opportunities for everyone else.

He also was great at the line, 11-11. He and Cotton were shutdown defenders in the second half and a big part of why Haws and Carlino only scored from the line in the last 9 minutes of the game; in fact BYU's last field goal was an 8:35 layup.

Most importantly, he and FVV are an incredible calming influence to this team. We were punched in the gut early (19-6 BYU at one point), but that lead from extending with consistent play. Their 6 assists and 0 TOs allowing Wichita State to stay in meat grinder mode most of the night and didn't allow BYU to run and gun even with really sloppy play from our posts and Wiggins.

For the year Baker and Van Vleet are averaged a combined 28.3 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 9.1 APG, 4 SPG, 1.7 BPG and just 2.4 TOs a game (3.79 A:TO). They are shooting a combined 51.1% FG, 42.5% 3PT, 85.1% FT.

I am curious to see if FVV/Baker can maintain a positive Steal/Turnover ratio for the year. That would be crazy.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » November 27th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I am curious to see if FVV/Baker can maintain a positive Steal/Turnover ratio for the year. That would be crazy.

If FVV would stop slacking in the blocks department they might get a positive BLOCK to turnover ratio. Baker currently has 10 blocks to 7 TOs on the season.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » November 27th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Bmarq04 wrote:As a fan of a team that will play WSU at least twice this year, I'm not thrilled that Baker is seeming to be as we'll rounded as he is. But, I think the argument of whether or not he can create for himself has been put to bed. I didn't watch the game last night but saw replays on espn this morning. They showed him put it on the floor from the high right wing and get to the hole. It was so smooth. A player that isn't used to creating for themselves wouldn't have looked near as smooth.

Every game there are examples of his ability.

Nothing is ever put to bed with the guys posting in this thread. One random dude said that Baker might be overrated once, so they will bump this thread every time he makes a basket the next 3 years. They are very strange.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Black » November 27th, 2013, 2:17 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Bmarq04 wrote:As a fan of a team that will play WSU at least twice this year, I'm not thrilled that Baker is seeming to be as we'll rounded as he is. But, I think the argument of whether or not he can create for himself has been put to bed. I didn't watch the game last night but saw replays on espn this morning. They showed him put it on the floor from the high right wing and get to the hole. It was so smooth. A player that isn't used to creating for themselves wouldn't have looked near as smooth.

Nothing is ever put to bed with the guys posting in this thread. One random dude said that Baker might be overrated once, so they will bump this thread every time he makes a basket the next 3 years. They are very strange.

Thanks for adding zero to the discussion.
I think if you are bold enough to put something out there and you are wrong, then people are going to let you know about it. I'm sure once the poster owns up to it, it will eventually die. Strangely, Bearz77 has been curiously absent the last two games.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » November 27th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Black wrote:
valleychamp wrote:

Thanks for adding zero to the discussion.
I think if you are bold enough to put something out there and you are wrong, then people are going to let you know about it. I'm sure once the poster owns up to it, it will eventually die. Strangely, Bearz77 has been curiously absent the last two games.

Hi 'baller. What's this, your 4th or 5th username now? I lost count.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » November 27th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Some fans have admitted they were wrong about Baker and they should be commended for that, everyone has to eat crow at some point and it takes a man to do it.

A certain other fan still insists that Baker is only a spot-up shooter and I don't see anything wrong with throwing an abundance of facts and evidence in his face.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Black » November 27th, 2013, 3:49 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Hi 'baller. What's this, your 4th or 5th username now? I lost count.

Not sure what a 'baller is but that's yet another zero-value post in the thread. Do you even come on here to talk basketball or are you just the forum babysitter?
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » November 27th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Black wrote:Thanks for adding zero to the discussion.

Nothing curious , just don't live here like some do. Didn't see the first game, but got to watch most of the BYU game and will give Baker credit for showing what I didn't think he had shown he could do last year. Really credit Van Vleet for taking charge at the critical time of the game; what you hope to see from your point guard though it's usually not being the main scorer, but with teams paying Early and Baker attention he showed that WSU has other options for points. Will get to see WSU live on Sunday in St. Louis, looking forward to what should be a very defensive battle with the Billikens. WSU might have too much firepower, but SLU can guard and they have a veteran team, so it could be the stiffest test yet for the Shocks.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » November 27th, 2013, 7:48 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:and will give Baker credit for showing what I didn't think he had shown he could do last year.

Ummm, baker was out almost all year until post-season. Wonder if there is some coincidence with post-season success and Ron Baker returning?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball