Omaha awarded 2015 NCAA 2nd/3rd round

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Omaha awarded 2015 NCAA 2nd/3rd round

Postby musiccitybulldog » November 13th, 2012, 5:58 am

Would Wichita be able to handle the possible incoming fans via air travel? Would this come into the decision?
Is the Omaha airport considerably busier than Wichita? I have no idea, just asking.
I suppose the Kansas City airport is somewhat the biggest regional airport to both cities?
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 13th, 2012, 8:46 am

The Omaha airport is actually pretty busy, but I'd guess a majority of the flights are Southwest Airlines. The problem is that it is very difficult to get a direct flight on any other airline except to their respective hubs (Denver, Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, etc.). As far as getting teams, fans and NCAA staff to Omaha, if you can get them to one of the major hubs, there will be a flight from there to Omaha (and most likely a pretty full one).
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » November 13th, 2012, 7:12 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Would Wichita be able to handle the possible incoming fans via air travel? Would this come into the decision?
Is the Omaha airport considerably busier than Wichita? I have no idea, just asking.
I suppose the Kansas City airport is somewhat the biggest regional airport to both cities?

Wichita's airport sucks b@lls! I travel for work out of there and it is dated and has very few direct flights, just to the major hubs. They just broke ground for a new terminal that should help and be done in a few years I believe. Smaller cities have nicer airports, but hopefully with the new terminal it will help with events like this. I attented the "open houses" about the arena before it was even approved by vote and my input then was that it shouldn't be less than 17k. I think the size of the arena, lack of hotels around the arena, and the airport are all small pieces that will keep Wichita from hosting a NCAA regional site anytime soon.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby np9 » November 13th, 2012, 8:00 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Would Wichita be able to handle the possible incoming fans via air travel? Would this come into the decision?

Omaha is much busier. Here is a quick comparison...

Omaha:

2011 total passengers: 4.2 million
scheduled flights per day: 90
non-stop destinations served: 18

Wichita:

2011 total passengers: 1.5 million
scheduled flights per day: 43
non-stop destinations served: 8

I'm not sure how heavily that factors into the NCAA decision, but I'm sure it's at least considered.
np9
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball