Bradley v UTPA - Anthony Parker Day

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby tribecalledquest » November 12th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Bradley will host UT Pan American at 7 pm tonight. It is the one regular season game played on campus at the Renaissance Coliseum. BU great and recently retired NBA starter Anthony Parker will be inducted into the BU Hall of Fame at halftime.

For those too young to remember (sounds weird saying that) Anthony played from 1993-97 at Bradley. Great player. BU had an impressive four year run while he was there--winning the league once and making the NCAA Tournament. Bradley was extremely relevant in the league landscape then.

Anyway, good to see AP back on campus and hopefully the Braves can handle the Broncos tonight.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bradley v UTPA - Anthony Parker Day

Postby MoBraves » November 12th, 2012, 2:21 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Bradley will host UT Pan American at 7 pm tonight. It is the one regular season game played on campus at the Renaissance Coliseum. BU great and recently retired NBA starter Anthony Parker will be inducted into the BU Hall of Fame at halftime.

For those too young to remember (sounds weird saying that) Anthony played from 1993-97 at Bradley. Great player. BU had an impressive four year run while he was there--winning the league once and making the NCAA Tournament. Bradley was extremely relevant in the league landscape then.

Anyway, good to see AP back on campus and hopefully the Braves can handle the Broncos tonight.

I'm not settling for just a win tonight - another 20+ margin of victory would be nice to see in back-to-back games!
I'm expecting Walt to play much better & smoother than in Game 1.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MVCfans » November 12th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Braves about to close out another win. Nice 2-0 start.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby PantherSigEp » November 12th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Nice to see them not only winning but winning by convincing margins. Obviously this isn't the killer part of the schedule so it's reassuring to see the Braves taking care of business.

:bow: Must be the new logo!
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » November 12th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Bradley didn't play as well tonight but its still a 17-point win (78-61). Bradley didn't win any games by that kind of margin last season.

BU has more depth this year and is showed tonight. Will Egolf and Walt Lemon Jr had 14 pts, 11 for DSE, 10 for Jake Eastman and 9 each for Jordan Prosser and Jalen Crawford.

Walt Lemon played a much better game tonight. Made good decisions, had 6 assists and one turnover and locked down UTPA's best player in the second half. Will Egolf made three more three-pointers and hasn't missed yet this season from out there (kind of amazing really). Pickett was in foul trouble a lot but its nice to not have to use him as much tonight.

Braves hit the road for a game at IUPUI Saturday and then at USF on Tuesday. Would be nice to get one of those.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » November 13th, 2012, 9:15 am

Nice win for BU. I'm not trying to be overly optimistic after crushing some weaker D1 opponents, but they are actually looking like a team this year as opposed to a few individuals trying to drive in the lane and force bad shots. I'm impressed by Will Egolf, who is getting opportunities to show his jumper as opposed to being stuck in the paint all the time.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Majik45 » November 13th, 2012, 9:48 am

Bradley still has a ways to go before they make any noise in the MVC, but they definitely have made progress as they struggled to win these games the last couple of years, and Texas Pan American never got closer than 11 in the 2nd half. Bradley actually has 4 big guys that can kind of play this year which hasn't happened in years. I think it will be harder for Valley teams to walk into Carver and get an easy W this year, but we still will have a hard time staying out of Thursday night.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 13th, 2012, 9:53 am

WAY to early to tell for sure. But most of last year's "bottom tier" teams seem to be at least improved. The Valley is something like 9-2 early on with the only 2 losses coming to ranked teams on the road. Granted we need some of those big wins to really elevate the conference. But so far everyone is pretty well doing their part winning games you would hope Valley teams would win.

Impressive so far. Gotta keep it going. Good job Bradley!
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » November 14th, 2012, 9:56 am

Majik45 wrote:Bradley still has a ways to go before they make any noise in the MVC, but they definitely have made progress as they struggled to win these games the last couple of years, and Texas Pan American never got closer than 11 in the 2nd half. Bradley actually has 4 big guys that can kind of play this year which hasn't happened in years. I think it will be harder for Valley teams to walk into Carver and get an easy W this year, but we still will have a hard time staying out of Thursday night.

Agreed 100%. I don't know how many more victories Bradley will have and they are still a Thursday night team, but they will be much more competitive on a nightly basis and, like you said, I don't think wins in Carver will come as easily.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoBraves » November 14th, 2012, 10:16 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Bradley didn't play as well tonight but its still a 17-point win (78-61). Bradley didn't win any games by that kind of margin last season.

BU has more depth this year and is showed tonight. Will Egolf and Walt Lemon Jr had 14 pts, 11 for DSE, 10 for Jake Eastman and 9 each for Jordan Prosser and Jalen Crawford.

Walt Lemon played a much better game tonight. Made good decisions, had 6 assists and one turnover and locked down UTPA's best player in the second half. Will Egolf made three more three-pointers and hasn't missed yet this season from out there (kind of amazing really). Pickett was in foul trouble a lot but its nice to not have to use him as much tonight.

Braves hit the road for a game at IUPUI Saturday and then at USF on Tuesday. Would be nice to get one of those.

I think Walt's controlled and balanced play helped us win easily the other night. I think he's such a huge part to this team's success. The nice thing though, is that with a bit more depth, we don't need to rely of any one player filling the stat sheet. The scoring has been nicely balanced so far. And in Game 1, Walt struggled, yet Pickett came through big...In Game 2, Pickett struggled, but Walt and others came through.
I think we played a lot better in Game 1 than Game 2, but the pros were another double-digit win, Walt snapped out of it, and we're not turning the ball over nearly as much as last year.
Crawford & Eastman have gotten better since last year, and these guys (especially Eastman) do the intangibles that make a difference.

If we beat IUPIU on Sat., I will have a strong feeling that this team can come close to .500 for the season.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball