BU's Pickett Newcomer of the Week

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby ptownbraves » November 13th, 2012, 9:38 am

JuCo transfer Tyshon Pickett of Bradley named MVC Newcomer of the Week after his debut 23-point, eight-rebound performance last Friday against Eastern Illinois, per Dave Reynolds of the PJ star.

It will be nice having a high-energy forward who attacks the rim and can give bigger bodies some rest. Looking forward to what he will bring against conference opponents this year.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: BU's Pickett Newcomer of the Week

Postby LMS » November 13th, 2012, 12:45 pm

And Doug won Player of the week. What's the over under on how many times he wins it this year?
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 13th, 2012, 2:01 pm

LMS wrote:And Doug won Player of the week. What's the over under on how many times he wins it this year?

Truthfully the Valley seems to be full of players that can put up some lofty numbers any given night. I suspect he won't win it as much as one might think. I am sure he will win it more than any other player in the league, but I think there will be a good selection of players that will win it when it is said and done. The Valley is pretty deep with talent this year it seems.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 13th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:
LMS wrote:And Doug won Player of the week. What's the over under on how many times he wins it this year?

Truthfully the Valley seems to be full of players that can put up some lofty numbers any given night. I suspect he won't win it as much as one might think. I am sure he will win it more than any other player in the league, but I think there will be a good selection of players that will win it when it is said and done. The Valley is pretty deep with talent this year it seems.

Well, he pretty much dominated the award last year and I'd argue the league (and especially WSu) had more talent last year...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby moshock » November 13th, 2012, 2:36 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:

Well, he pretty much dominated the award last year and I'd argue the league (and especially WSu) had more talent last year...

This guy might win it once or twice starting this week

J. Carmichael 27 Pts, 10 Reb, 3 Ast, 2 Stl, 2 Blk
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm

moshock wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:Truthfully the Valley seems to be full of players that can put up some lofty numbers any given night. I suspect he won't win it as much as one might think. I am sure he will win it more than any other player in the league, but I think there will be a good selection of players that will win it when it is said and done. The Valley is pretty deep with talent this year it seems.

This guy might win it once or twice starting this week

J. Carmichael 27 Pts, 10 Reb, 3 Ast, 2 Stl, 2 Blk

Pretty sure Carmichael played in the conference last year....

(Note to ILSU fans- not a slam on Carmichael at all. The argument above was that the MVC has more talent this year....I think it has less, but Jackie is certainly one of its best players....)
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » November 14th, 2012, 10:00 am

I think the league doesn't have as much "proven" talent or senior talent. I do think there are quite a few good JUCO's (as we've found out already) and I think the recruiting has stepped up a notch. Obviously time will tell on that one.

I really wish Bradley could get more Tyshon Pickett's. I am frustrated with the BU administration and some of the academic crap they pull. Any kid with credits from a JUCO in classes like PE, Health, Coaching, etc. are not allowed as transfer credits. So a kid has to not only graduate from JUCO, he also has to have the credits in allowable courses.

I know there are two JUCO guys Bradley was close to getting last year but had to back off because of this issue. It's dumb.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball