Buffalo @ Evansville Coaches v Cancer

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Buffalo @ Evansville Coaches v Cancer

Postby LMS » November 16th, 2012, 9:42 am

Losing to Buffalo at home is a bad loss for a team that wants to be considered a contender. I guess it's up to Aces fans to tell us then if its a bad loss or not.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aces0976 » November 16th, 2012, 9:43 am

I have to say I find incredibly irritating that our star player gets hurt, nobody knows to what extent, nobody knows how long he will be out and the first thing out of certain people's mouths are...boy this is gonna screw over the conference. You know what, right now, I couldn't give 2 s**t's about the conference. My only concerns right now are about the well being of this young man and how our team is going handle these circumstances. Furthermore, trying to predict how we're going to handle Colt graduating based on last night is beyond ridiculous. There is a huge difference in rebuilding a team in the offseason and trying to adjust 6 minutes into the second game of the season. I'm not saying we're not going to struggle next season, I don't know. But I do think we will be much better prepared to deal with losing Colt next season than we were last night (seems stupid to actually have to say that, but apparently it's necessary for some).
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » November 16th, 2012, 10:01 am

Most of this thread is bs. ANYONE'S best player goes out in a game and they will struggle. This is big time basketball folks. The coaches aren't just rolling it out. They have a game plan and if that plan has to be scrapped 3 minutes into a game, let me tell you all but about 4 programs in the country will struggle mightily for that game, at least.

IF Colt is out, and I hope he's not, give Marty a game or 2 to adjust and you won't see nearly as much a drop off.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LMS » November 16th, 2012, 10:11 am

Aces0976 wrote:I have to say I find incredibly irritating that our star player gets hurt, nobody knows to what extent, nobody knows how long he will be out and the first thing out of certain people's mouths are...boy this is gonna screw over the conference. You know what, right now, I couldn't give 2 s**t's about the conference. My only concerns right now are about the well being of this young man and how our team is going handle these circumstances. Furthermore, trying to predict how we're going to handle Colt graduating based on last night is beyond ridiculous. There is a huge difference in rebuilding a team in the offseason and trying to adjust 6 minutes into the second game of the season. I'm not saying we're not going to struggle next season, I don't know. But I do think we will be much better prepared to deal with losing Colt next season than we were last night (seems stupid to actually have to say that, but apparently it's necessary for some).

This is a conference message board so it's safe to talk about how it affects the league IMO. No one wants Colt out or is wishing him ill so don't take it that way. On the Aces board the focus is surely his health but here it's the impact. I hope he can play soon as does everyone here I'm sure .
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Heinro » November 16th, 2012, 10:59 am

This board makes me embarrassed to be a Shocker. It's a shame Colt got hurt. Rather than being pricks you should be supportive, if WSU lost Carl Hall in the first half, our game would get interesting in a hurry as well.

Anyway, has there been any word on the injury? I will say, I hope if he is out a great portion of the out of conference schedule that they just decide to red-shirt him. It would be disastrous if EU has an out of conference RPI of 200+ and then finishes above .500 in the league.
Thoughts and prayers to WSU finding a new conference.
Heinro
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby purple&orange » November 16th, 2012, 11:30 am

Colt is listed as day to day according to the UE beat writer on twitter. All I know is that when he came back from the locker room at the end of halftime, he was sitting down like an old man. It was work just to sit down. After the contact that caused the injury, he tried to stay in the game but the officials stopped play as he got to the other end because he was in so much pain. I have no clue if this sort of injury can get worse but it's a lot more important for Colt to be back 100% than to put himself at risk/have to deal with this all year by coming back too soon, RPI numbers be damned.

Evansville has shot the ball poorly the last two games. The defense has been much improved from last year, however guys like Cox and Jahr haven't hit many shots. I love what Troy Taylor does for the team, however his lack of a threat to shoot the 3 allowed Buffalo to clog up the elbows and foul line area in their zone, making it difficult to get the ball in that area. When they were able to, it led to some easy layups in the high-low game.

Regardless, just like the ND game when Colt picked up 2 personals in the 1st half, this is a great opportunity for the rest of the team to learn to play without him if he has to miss a couple of games. Colt is a great player and makes Evansville a threat to beat anyone in the league, but as a favorite coach of mine used to say, "We don't have problems, we have opportunities."

Next man up tonight vs Yale.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ace Dad » November 16th, 2012, 11:53 am

Aces0976 wrote:I have to say I find incredibly irritating that our star player gets hurt, nobody knows to what extent, nobody knows how long he will be out and the first thing out of certain people's mouths are...boy this is gonna screw over the conference. You know what, right now, I couldn't give 2 s**t's about the conference. My only concerns right now are about the well being of this young man and how our team is going handle these circumstances. Furthermore, trying to predict how we're going to handle Colt graduating based on last night is beyond ridiculous. There is a huge difference in rebuilding a team in the offseason and trying to adjust 6 minutes into the second game of the season. I'm not saying we're not going to struggle next season, I don't know. But I do think we will be much better prepared to deal with losing Colt next season than we were last night (seems stupid to actually have to say that, but apparently it's necessary for some).

Thank you.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » November 16th, 2012, 11:54 am

I hope Colt is ok. That doesn't change the fact that it was a bad loss and continues the trend of Evansville doing shady in non conference.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Hawkfan » November 16th, 2012, 12:02 pm

My gosh. Shocker fans have a short memory.

Were none of you around in late 80s and most of the 90s?

I don't have the inclination to look up the numbers, but I'd bet that they look an awful lot like EU's won/loss record. Perhaps they were worse.

Mike Cohen, Thompson, Randy Smithson: legends of Shocker coaches.

What's more remarkable is that one of the NCAA's most penalized teams is having any success these days without breaking the rules. Or are they?

So, what's that old adage about throwing stones and glass houses?
Hawkfan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby shoxrox » November 16th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Am I seeing things correctly? There is no way a KU fan has enough care to visit a Valley message board to post about Wichita State. Is this kid for real?

At least break down the Chattanooga game for us and tell us why the mighty Hawks let the Moccassins lead and hang around for most of the game on your home court.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball