MVC Power Rankings

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Power Rankings

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 28th, 2012, 10:32 am

sixth ace wrote: but I truly believe that Evansville will be in the NCAA at the end of this year.

The dopers are selling the good stuff in Evansville.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aces0976 » November 28th, 2012, 11:35 am

Ali wrote:Lots of people getting bent out of shape. I fully recognize the importance of the games played so far, but we all have like 25 remaining so let's reevaluated in a couple of weeks.

This thread is clearly not the place for sane and reasonable statements like this one. Seriously though, this has evolved into one of those circular pissing matches that may be fun to watch for a while, doesn't generally end well for anyone involved. As to the actual topic of the thread, I agree with the rankings right now. These rankings actually based on each team's current body of work. Rankings like these are fluid and could have a lot of movement. As an Aces fan, I understand the sentiments about our loss to Buffalo, I haven't been that disgusted and depressed after a game in quite some time. It's not just a bad loss, but it was a sign that maybe we're not taking the next step that I thought we were going to. On the other hand, the games since have showed improvement. Either way, in my mind, we have a chance in the next couple weeks to make that game a distant memory and show we are improving and have taken the next step.
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoValley John » November 28th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Aces0976 wrote:
Ali wrote:Lots of people getting bent out of shape. I fully recognize the importance of the games played so far, but we all have like 25 remaining so let's reevaluated in a couple of weeks.

This thread is clearly not the place for sane and reasonable statements like this one. Seriously though, this has evolved into one of those circular pissing matches that may be fun to watch for a while, doesn't generally end well for anyone involved. As to the actual topic of the thread, I agree with the rankings right now. These rankings actually based on each team's current body of work. Rankings like these are fluid and could have a lot of movement. As an Aces fan, I understand the sentiments about our loss to Buffalo, I haven't been that disgusted and depressed after a game in quite some time. It's not just a bad loss, but it was a sign that maybe we're not taking the next step that I thought we were going to. On the other hand, the games since have showed improvement. Either way, in my mind, we have a chance in the next couple weeks to make that game a distant memory and show we are improving and have taken the next step.

You are right, this is insane. At the same time, all I have tried to do is explain to a couple if Aces fans why the Evansville history of losing noncon games to teams like Buffalo, only to pull a few upsets in league play might be upsetting to other fan bases. I never said that Evansville should go in the tank, try to lose those games or even be apologetic when they win an upset over a contender. On the contrary, I have been quite clear that the Aces should try to win every game, enjoy and relish the games they win, apologize for nothing. I simply tried to explain why the history of losing games like the Buffalo game, combined with pulling these upsets gets old to fans of other schools. Somehow, OldAceDad and 1982 keep the discussion circular. They keep going back to the who's fault card. It is always the fault of the better team when they lose and the victor should never apologize. I wish the Aces well, but at the same time, see many similarities between a few aces posters and the throng of Sycamore posters from last year. The one difference, the Syc's were coming off a Valley tourney championship last year and the Aces are coming off of nothing...
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces0976 » November 28th, 2012, 12:30 pm

MoValley John wrote:
Aces0976 wrote:

You are right, this is insane. At the same time, all I have tried to do is explain to a couple if Aces fans why the Evansville history of losing noncon games to teams like Buffalo, only to pull a few upsets in league play might be upsetting to other fan bases. I never said that Evansville should go in the tank, try to lose those games or even be apologetic when they win an upset over a contender. On the contrary, I have been quite clear that the Aces should try to win every game, enjoy and relish the games they win, apologize for nothing. I simply tried to explain why the history of losing games like the Buffalo game, combined with pulling these upsets gets old to fans of other schools. Somehow, OldAceDad and 1982 keep the discussion circular. They keep going back to the who's fault card. It is always the fault of the better team when they lose and the victor should never apologize. I wish the Aces well, but at the same time, see many similarities between a few aces posters and the throng of Sycamore posters from last year. The one difference, the Syc's were coming off a Valley tourney championship last year and the Aces are coming off of nothing...

I agree for the most part, I don't care who's fault it is, I don't care who is to blame. The non-BCS conferences play by a different set of rules. A loss by Duke at Maryland (just a generic example), even though Maryland's RPI might suck that year, is explained away by the talking heads that Maryland is just a tough place to play. A loss by Creighton at UE, they only look at UE's RPI and say "BAD LOSS", even though I'd like to think any road conference game is a "tough place to play". At the same time, as a fan, it's always my first instinct to defend my team and listen to reason later.
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » November 28th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Aces44 wrote:Let me get this straight:
If UE loses to a team they shouldn't, UE is the A-hole.
If WSU loses to a team their fan base doesn't believe they should, it is the opposing team's fault for winning and they should hang themselves.
Got it.

Get over yourselves, every team in every sport in every conference at every level in the country is going to take a "bad" loss this year. If they don't, it means they had a pretty good year, and I bet they are rewarded for it.

It's not about fault. That's the thing. It's about "what is good for my school." Well, for every school individually, it's good to win. For the other 9 schools in the conference that don't care if you win or lose, it's a really big deal if you tank in the non-con and then catch lightning in a bottle 2 or 3 times during conference play. If team D was picked 4th in the conference, but went 7 and 5 in the non-con against iffy competition then beat team C which is third in the conference, it's a bad deal and here's why: Team D had no chance of gaining an at-large because they sucked it early and brought a 175 RPI into the Valley. Team C, WAS carrying an RPI of 40 and was a strong finish away from an at-large (giving three Valley teams a chance at an at-large). Now that team C has lost to team D, Team D now has an RPI of 160 and team C has an RPI of 55 and team C is no longer dancing! Sucks for them, but they should have won if they wanted to earn it. Well, as it turns out, Team B (in second place) had two really good wins against team C. Now that team C isn't a "top 50" win, Team B is left with only two top 50 victories and is 2-3 against the top 50 on the year. Guess what? They don't get in either because they don't have a winning record against the top 50. Now Team A won the conference and wins in St. Louis and now the Valley is a one bid league and EVERYONE loses, all because team D didn't get there s*** together.

Now, is there really that much difference between team D and team C? Not at all, but no cares because Team D didn't beat Team sisters of the poor when they were supposed to.

If, as an Evansville fan, you lose to Buffalo and then beat Illinois State in February, don't expect the other 8 schools to be congratulatory because you were the underdog. Everyone will hate that you won. Also, don't come on here with your 4-2 record and complain that you are being "disrespected" just because you lost to Buffalo. No one wants to hear it.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces0976 » November 28th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Wufan wrote:
It's not about fault. That's the thing. It's about "what is good for my school." Well, for every school individually, it's good to win. For the other 9 schools in the conference that don't care if you win or lose, it's a really big deal if you tank in the non-con and then catch lightning in a bottle 2 or 3 times during conference play. If team D was picked 4th in the conference, but went 7 and 5 in the non-con against iffy competition then beat team C which is third in the conference, it's a bad deal and here's why: Team D had no chance of gaining an at-large because they sucked it early and brought a 175 RPI into the Valley. Team C, WAS carrying an RPI of 40 and was a strong finish away from an at-large (giving three Valley teams a chance at an at-large). Now that team C has lost to team D, Team D now has an RPI of 160 and team C has an RPI of 55 and team C is no longer dancing! Sucks for them, but they should have won if they wanted to earn it. Well, as it turns out, Team B (in second place) had two really good wins against team C. Now that team C isn't a "top 50" win, Team B is left with only two top 50 victories and is 2-3 against the top 50 on the year. Guess what? They don't get in either because they don't have a winning record against the top 50. Now Team A won the conference and wins in St. Louis and now the Valley is a one bid league and EVERYONE loses, all because team D didn't get there s*** together.

Now, is there really that much difference between team D and team C? Not at all, but no cares because Team D didn't beat Team sisters of the poor when they were supposed to.

If, as an Evansville fan, you lose to Buffalo and then beat Illinois State in February, don't expect the other 8 schools to be congratulatory because you were the underdog. Everyone will hate that you won. Also, don't come on here with your 4-2 record and complain that you are being "disrespected" just because you lost to Buffalo. No one wants to hear it.
But...we didn't mean to lose!!!! Actually, Wufan, I think that was about as spot on of an explanation as one can give. :+1:
Aces0976
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » November 28th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Non-conference is where the conference is either going to make a name for itself ultimately. If the Mvc wants to have a shot at getting 3, 4 or even 5 teams then the whole conference needs to do well. When u have a team or teams not pulling their weight then it becomes disappointing. Because we all know that on any given night any team can rise up and bite u. If all teams carry their weight then those suprises are not the kiss of death, but just a hiccup. That is the type of environment at least the winners want in the mvc.

And if your fandom belongs to a team that struggles in non conference play - then don't be Surprised if you are ridiculed, especially if your stupid enough to talk about how you think people are overlooking your program and not giving it respect. Because no matter how much u whine, u are not going to get respect, but you will be the butt of all jokes.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » November 28th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
sixth ace wrote: but I truly believe that Evansville will be in the NCAA at the end of this year.

The dopers are selling the good stuff in Evansville.

Naw they ain't got the goods... we going to Colorado to get it
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball