MVC Power Rankings

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Power Rankings

Postby Aces1982 » November 27th, 2012, 11:46 pm

MoValley John wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:
shoxrox wrote:There is one Evansville fan that gets this rather basic concept. And that fan is pafan.

I'm just going to chalk it up to Evansville fans used to being the RPI killers that they usually are and therefore can't grasp the concept of what's going on on the other side of the fence - the fence where NCAA Tournament teams play in.

I get the concept even though I think it is stupid. I understand what you are saying. I am not that arrogant of a fan to blame another team of why UE didn't get in the NCAA. It would be nobodys fault but my team. Not because some team we lost to had a poor RPI or a team of a team of a team lost to another team and it made our RPI drop. It would be on my team and my team only. I don't give excuses or blame other people for my failures.

Do you get it? Really? Two years ago Missouri State missed out when they did plenty to get in. That is still costing the league. And how many of those B1G bubbles got in two years ago? How many of them were really better than MSU? When you get that concept, and you get that .500 in the B1G probably shouldn't be automatically in, then you are starting to get it.

How about Penn State or Michigan State?

I have said many times, I think you need to be above .500 in conference to get a bid. Missouri St probably loss a game they shouldn't have. Had they won, they would have been in. I understand being in a mid major conference and being very difficult of getting at large bids. If UE went 14-4 in conference and was on the bubble but lost to SIU and Missouri St. The last thing people I would blame for UE not getting a bid would be those 2 teams. It would be on UE. If they win those games, they would be in. That is on UE no one else.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shoxrox » November 27th, 2012, 11:47 pm

The non-basketball jargon is really making my head hurt. It seems you go this way a lot Acedad when your arguments start taking a nosedive. And on that note, I'm off to bed.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » November 27th, 2012, 11:51 pm

shoxrox wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:Shoxrox, the fence you are talking about is chain linked and we can see through it. It is not a 7 foot tall solid wood fence that hides what is going on. You are starting to remind me of the SIU posters who were a little bit too cocky on the board and at the conference tournament each year, before their program took a tumble. Humility in basketball is sometimes a good thing. We understand how the RPI killer thing goes. What we are saying is stop the whining about something none of us can control. Each team takes the floor and tries to win each night. The Aces try to win each game. The Shockers try to win each game. All of our teams are trying to win. Good luck during the OOC because I am rooting for you. However, if WSU is a ranked team when you get to Evansville, I hope we upset you. Last year you escaped by one rebound, remember?

When you can back up the cockiness, it's ok to be cocky. I don't really understand how I came off as "cocky", but whatever. Evansville fans, meanwhile, are doing a lot of talking with very, very, very little backing.

One rebound? No. I just remember WSU had more points at the end of the game than Evansville did. Same thing in Wichita. Same way it's been going for 95% of the games played between the two schools over the last decade.

Naw, be confident my man, not cocky.

But, I will back off because you are correct, internet discussions do not allow me to know what you mean or how you are so I retract my previous statement.

WSU has owned Evansville for awhile. Feel better? Now that we got that out of the way, if WSU wants to be among the 65 teams selected for the tournament, then win the conference tournament (had some great talk with your fans last year about that subject) or beat the MVC teams you are supposed to beat and the teams you are not supposed to beat (Creighton???)
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » November 27th, 2012, 11:53 pm

shoxrox wrote:The non-basketball jargon is really making my head hurt. It seems you go this way a lot Acedad when your arguments start taking a nosedive. And on that note, I'm off to bed.

You get the non basketball jargon because all of this is relative to everything else in life. Good night. I have to go to work tommorow, too. Good chatting with you.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 27th, 2012, 11:54 pm

MoValley John wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:
shoxrox wrote:There is one Evansville fan that gets this rather basic concept. And that fan is pafan.

I'm just going to chalk it up to Evansville fans used to being the RPI killers that they usually are and therefore can't grasp the concept of what's going on on the other side of the fence - the fence where NCAA Tournament teams play in.

I get the concept even though I think it is stupid. I understand what you are saying. I am not that arrogant of a fan to blame another team of why UE didn't get in the NCAA. It would be nobodys fault but my team. Not because some team we lost to had a poor RPI or a team of a team of a team lost to another team and it made our RPI drop. It would be on my team and my team only. I don't give excuses or blame other people for my failures.

Do you get it? Really? Two years ago Missouri State missed out when they did plenty to get in. That is still costing the league. And how many of those B1G bubbles got in two years ago? How many of them were really better than MSU? When you get that concept, and you get that .500 in the B1G probably shouldn't be automatically in, then you are starting to get it.

How about Penn State or Michigan State?

Agree to disagree. You blame anyone but Creighton if they were not to get in and I will lay the blame directly on my team for not doing what they needed to do to get in and that would be win another game or so.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » November 27th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
MoValley John wrote:

John, you get it, but you do not like it. Life is not fair. Basketball is not fair. There is no such thing as the best 65 teams. There are about the best 80 teams and the committee subjectively selects the best 65. Once they make their decision, it is what it is. Missouri State should have won another game.............

And if Missouri State wins one more game... Indiana State is out. I understand fairness and the lack thereof, it is frustrating when a good, solid league can't help their cause because the little engine that could, couldn't until it was time to destroy everything for everybody else. And yes, Evansville is receiving less money from the NCAA today, because they couldn't win until they were the underdogs effing up the whole league. Be proud and happy for the wins, you should be, understand the long term consequences as well. Get excited that you might screw everything up this year, you got a good start losing to Buffalo.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » November 28th, 2012, 12:04 am

MoValley John wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:
MoValley John wrote:

John, you get it, but you do not like it. Life is not fair. Basketball is not fair. There is no such thing as the best 65 teams. There are about the best 80 teams and the committee subjectively selects the best 65. Once they make their decision, it is what it is. Missouri State should have won another game.............

And if Missouri State wins one more game... Indiana State is out. I understand fairness and the lack thereof, it is frustrating when a good, solid league can't help their cause because the little engine that could, couldn't until it was time to destroy everything for everybody else. And yes, Evansville is receiving less money from the NCAA today, because they couldn't win until they were the underdogs effing up the whole league. Be proud and happy for the wins, you should be, understand the long term consequences as well. Get excited that you might screw everything up this year, you got a good start losing to Buffalo.

John, did the Aces lose to Buffalo on purpose?

Did Missouri State fail to win one more game on purpose?

Did Indiana State win one more game by accident?

Again: All of our teams are trying to win all of the games.

We do not get excited to "screw everything up." We, like you, get excited to win games.

Are you telling me that if your team does poorly in OOC that you will then be sad for your team if they then beat the top MVC teams in conference play?

This is lunacy.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 28th, 2012, 9:07 am

shoxrox wrote:The non-basketball jargon is really making my head hurt. It seems you go this way a lot Acedad when your arguments start taking a nosedive. And on that note, I'm off to bed.

For a man who sure spends a lot of time calling others elitists, he sure makes sure to regularly point out how important he is, doesn't he?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » November 28th, 2012, 10:13 am

Lots of people getting bent out of shape. I fully recognize the importance of the games played so far, but we all have like 25 remaining so let's reevaluated in a couple of weeks.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces44 » November 28th, 2012, 10:22 am

Let me get this straight:
If UE loses to a team they shouldn't, UE is the A-hole.
If WSU loses to a team their fan base doesn't believe they should, it is the opposing team's fault for winning and they should hang themselves.
Got it.

Get over yourselves, every team in every sport in every conference at every level in the country is going to take a "bad" loss this year. If they don't, it means they had a pretty good year, and I bet they are rewarded for it.
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball