Should we change our conference name?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Ali » November 20th, 2012, 11:04 am

Does having "Missouri Valley" as a league name denote small time athletics? The Summit and Horizon have changed for that reason. If we just became "The Valley" I think that would be cool.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Should we change our conference name?

Postby shocktheheart » November 20th, 2012, 11:06 am

Ali wrote:Does having "Missouri Valley" as a league name denote small time athletics? The Summit and Horizon have changed for that reason. If we just became "The Valley" I think that would be cool.

I believe it doesn't sound small time, but maybe too regional. "The Valley" is what most media members call us, so I don't think it would be very tough to change the name.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 20th, 2012, 11:13 am

Ali wrote:Does having "Missouri Valley" as a league name denote small time athletics?

Allowing the football conference to change its name from Gateway to Missouri Valley Football conference certainly didn't help to create the perception that "Missouri Valley" was big time. It was a dumb move that should have never been approved.
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on November 20th, 2012, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 20th, 2012, 11:29 am

shocktheheart wrote:
Ali wrote:Does having "Missouri Valley" as a league name denote small time athletics? The Summit and Horizon have changed for that reason. If we just became "The Valley" I think that would be cool.

I believe it doesn't sound small time, but maybe too regional. "The Valley" is what most media members call us, so I don't think it would be very tough to change the name.

You don't think there is a perception issue when then comparing which conference you want to be a part of? One that will take you to the Horizon or the Summit, or one that will leave you in the Valley?

I don't know if reviving the old football/volleyball name of Gateway wouldn't be a better option. But the Missouri Valley Conference has a long, long history when compared to other conferences.

We could become the Gateway Conference and look to add schools in Colorado and Oregon....
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » November 20th, 2012, 11:57 am

Khan4Cats wrote:
shocktheheart wrote:

You don't think there is a perception issue when then comparing which conference you want to be a part of? One that will take you to the Horizon or the Summit, or one that will leave you in the Valley?

I don't know if reviving the old football/volleyball name of Gateway wouldn't be a better option. But the Missouri Valley Conference has a long, long history when compared to other conferences.

We could become the Gateway Conference and look to add schools in Colorado and Oregon....

its a traditional league but I think casual fans and maybe recruits look down on us as a regional conference only.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ptownbraves » November 20th, 2012, 12:15 pm

The Missouri does make it sound regional, but let's face it, the MVC is a pretty regional conference. You have the A10, for example, where SLU travels to Rhode Island, over 1,100 miles away. The longest distance in the MVC is probably Wichita St. to Indiana St., just over 600 miles. Plus the fact they play their tourney in St. Louis kind of makes sense.

That being said, I think the MVC has done a good job of branding itself as "The Valley."
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » November 20th, 2012, 12:16 pm

How about "Big Valley" - an american favorite, and we have to hire a commisioner named "Hoss"

Or maybe Big 10s (e.g. Big 10south)
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » November 20th, 2012, 12:18 pm

The Valley is, like, totally gnarly.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » November 20th, 2012, 12:33 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Ali wrote:Does having "Missouri Valley" as a league name denote small time athletics?

Allowing the football conference to change its name for Gateway to Missouri Valley Football conference certainly didn't help to create the perception that "Missouri Valley" was big time. It was a dumb move that should have never been approved.

I don't know that it's helped the football conference, but at least it makes geographic sense.

We shouldn't officially change the game. We are the second oldest conference, but I would favor more emphasis of "The Valley." For example, the communication staff can request media outlets refer to the conference in this manner instead of MVC or Missouri Valley.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MVCfans » November 20th, 2012, 1:18 pm

The Missouri Valley Conference is a misnomer since very few of the schools are actually located in the Missouri River Valley. I don't think we'll see an official change, but using "The Valley" whenever possible makes a lot of sense to me.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball