Should we change our conference name?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Should we change our conference name?

Postby SHOXMVC » November 20th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
Ali wrote:Does having "Missouri Valley" as a league name denote small time athletics? The Summit and Horizon have changed for that reason. If we just became "The Valley" I think that would be cool.

How about "Big Valley" - an american favorite, and we have to hire a commisioner named "Hoss"

Or maybe Big 10s (e.g. Big 10south)

You need to brush up on your TV-Land channel. Hoss is associated with Bonanza...Heath would be a good name for the "Big Valley" commish. :D
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Haha » November 20th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Ali wrote:Does having "Missouri Valley" as a league name denote small time athletics? The Summit and Horizon have changed for that reason. If we just became "The Valley" I think that would be cool.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk doesn't Northern in Northern Iowa denote small time athletics?

Before you get mad I'm just applying the exact logic you applied to the Valley.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 20th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Haha wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a jerk doesn't Northern in Northern Iowa denote small time athletics?

He's got a point....
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 20th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Haha wrote:

You're probably right. We should change our name to Cedar Falls State to make it to the big time...
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » November 20th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Many good conferences have some geographical part to their names, so I don’t see what the big deal is. I agree that having Missouri in the name isn't ideal, but the MVC does have name recognition and we would lose that if they changed names. Would a school choose to join the Horizon over the Missouri Valley because Horizon sounds less regional? Does the selection committee choose teams based on who has the coolest sounding conference name?
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Haha » November 20th, 2012, 5:09 pm

nm
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Haha » November 20th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
You're probably right. We should change our name to Cedar Falls State to make it to the big time...

You fail to see my point,

I assume that was a hit at Wichita State. At no time was Fairmount College, Municipal University of Wichita, Wichita University, or Wichita State a directional school or normal school. So I really don't mind your attempt at insult. There is a reason Missouri State fought so hard to get rid of their directional name.

All I was pointing out was that it seemed a little silly to worry about the conference name when, I assume, Ali is a fan of a program that has the exact same connotation associated with it's name.

Northern Iowa is one of the better mid major programs, just like the Missouri Valley is one of the better mid major leagues. I can't see name changes having such an effect that it would make a difference.
Last edited by Haha on November 20th, 2012, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » November 20th, 2012, 5:23 pm

In a nutshell, no, there should be no name change. A name change screams "Little Time"

Build the brand by building the product. Name changes are nothing but gimmicks that don't work.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 20th, 2012, 5:27 pm

I agree with MoValley John. We are one of the oldest conferences. We are the most stable conference in college basketball. Those represent the biggest selling point of this conference; tradition. A name change says, "we aren't comfortable with who we are and we don't have enough clout to change it…lets change our name!" Bad idea.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 20th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Haha wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:

You fail to see my point,

I assume that was a hit at Wichita State. At no time was Fairmount College, Municipal University of Wichita, Wichita University, or Wichita State a directional school or normal school. So I really don't mind your attempt at insult. There is a reason Missouri State fought so hard to get rid of their directional name.

All I was pointing out was that it seemed a little silly to worry about the conference name when, I assume, Ali is a fan of a program that has the exact same connotation associated with it's name.

Northern Iowa is one of the better mid major programs, just like the Missouri Valley is one of the better mid major leagues. I can't see name changes having such an effect that it would make a difference.

I did see your point. You took a shot at UNI, I shot back. Going to Cedar Falls State or even University of Iowa-Cedar Falls or something like that is not that far off, we have been Iowa State Teacher's College, Iowa State Normal School, and the State College of Iowa, so some combination from those is not far off. I don't have a problem with Northern Iowa, as I doubt Southern California has any issue with being 'Southern' or South Florida with being 'South'

You will also note that I was the one who pointed to the long history of the name Missouri Valley and that altering it didn't seem necessary.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball