Should we change our conference name?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Should we change our conference name?

Postby unipanther99 » November 21st, 2012, 9:12 am

Aargh wrote:It's threads like this where I always manage to upset a lot of posters.

The Missouri Valley Conference is one of the longest-running leagues in college athletics. There are still some sportscasters who remember when the Valley was the best basketball league in the nation, and the Valley still gets some run from that historical fact.

Some of the long-term members of the Valley are rightfully proud of their association with the Missouri Valley Conference and its' 60-year tradition of being a solid basketball conference.

Some of the recent D2 upgrade schools (this side of 1970 or so), have received a HUGE boost from joining the Valley. Recruiting to the Valley has been more difficult than recruiting to the Big10 in the D1 history of many MVC members. It wasn't always that way. Recruiting to the Missouri Valley Conference has always been easier than recruiting to the Horizon League, or the Summit League, or any of the other "no name" leagues in the Midwest.

The Missouri Valley Conference is not a "no name" league. Bradley, Drake, and WSU established the name of the Valley as a top conference. The MVC's having Cincinnati, Memphis, and Louisville in the league for a while gave the Missouri Vlley Conference a great reputation.

That reputation was established quite a few years ago, but long-term reputations is what creates traditions. When some of the top teams in the MVC left, they were replaced with teams transitioning to D1 ball. Those teams got a huge boost by joining a well-respected conference. Now, some fans of those schools want to change the name of the conference because the name is not thaat respected any more.

Wasn't it a WSU poster who suggested "Big Valley?"
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » November 21st, 2012, 12:55 pm

Aargh wrote:It's threads like this where I always manage to upset a lot of posters.

The Missouri Valley Conference is one of the longest-running leagues in college athletics. There are still some sportscasters who remember when the Valley was the best basketball league in the nation, and the Valley still gets some run from that historical fact.

Some of the long-term members of the Valley are rightfully proud of their association with the Missouri Valley Conference and its' 60-year tradition of being a solid basketball conference.

Some of the recent D2 upgrade schools (this side of 1970 or so), have received a HUGE boost from joining the Valley. Recruiting to the Valley has been more difficult than recruiting to the Big10 in the D1 history of many MVC members. It wasn't always that way. Recruiting to the Missouri Valley Conference has always been easier than recruiting to the Horizon League, or the Summit League, or any of the other "no name" leagues in the Midwest.

The Missouri Valley Conference is not a "no name" league. Bradley, Drake, and WSU established the name of the Valley as a top conference. The MVC's having Cincinnati, Memphis, and Louisville in the league for a while gave the Missouri Vlley Conference a great reputation.

That reputation was established quite a few years ago, but long-term reputations is what creates traditions. When some of the top teams in the MVC left, they were replaced with teams transitioning to D1 ball. Those teams got a huge boost by joining a well-respected conference. Now, some fans of those schools want to change the name of the conference because the name is not thaat respected any more.

Still beating that drum, huh Aargh?

Here are the facts:

The MVC added MSU, UNI, and UE in the early 90's. At the time the Valley had only 8 members (with Tulsa on its way out as well), and they were simply a conference in need of members. At that time, MSU was brought in as a program that had made the NCAA tournament FOUR times in the late 80's and early 90's. Northern Iowa was brought in as a program that had just come off of an NCAA tournament 2nd round appearance. Evansville was coming in as a program that had made the NCAA tournament FOUR times in the 80's and early 90's.

These were not lowly "D2 startups" that you like to paint them to be. These schools were not only the best available to save what was a far diminished 7 member Missouri Valley Conference, but they were successful programs coming off of multiple NCAA tournament appearances. And I would like to point out that your infatuation with the short pit stop (10+ years) that schools like Cincy and Louisville had in the Valley is laughable, and those schools were gone 15-20 YEARS before MSU, UNI, and UE came in.

Lastly, can you please explain to me how certain members of this league that upgraded to the MVC many years ago is ANY different to what Wichita State did when they joined the league??? WSU joined this league not long after many members left to form what is now the Big 12. ITS THE SAME THING.

WSU's lack of success or perceived lack of success relative to what they did 30 years ago has nothing to to with the MVC, and has everything to do with Wichita State. You need to shed that misplaced cloak of entitlement and blame, wipe up those tears and join us in the real world for once.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby C0|db|00ded » November 21st, 2012, 1:09 pm

Aargh wrote:That reputation was established quite a few years ago, but long-term reputations is what creates traditions. When some of the top teams in the MVC left, they were replaced with teams transitioning to D1 ball. Those teams got a huge boost by joining a well-respected conference. Now, some fans of those schools want to change the name of the conference because the name is not thaat respected any more.

Ahh yes, "MVC: Rise of the Directionals". It's a quaint story. I would argue those that joined were so weak financially that they couldn't take advantage of whatever boost they received. Zero + boost is still zero. Now we have N.I.U. which is broke, E-ville which is broke, SIU-C hiring KU's ex-travel agent as their head coach. The conference is a mess.

I say we rename the conference to the Missouri Valley Directional Derelicts (MVDD) and promptly remove our school from membership.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces1982 » November 21st, 2012, 2:22 pm

Can we keep the Shockers in the MVC but kick out their fans?
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » November 21st, 2012, 2:29 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Can we keep the Shockers in the MVC but kick out their fans?

Don't judge a whole fanbase by a couple of clowns. They are doing what they do best and bait other fans into pointless arguements.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » November 21st, 2012, 4:44 pm

An Evansville fan taking a jab is like a muzzled dog trying to bark.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » November 21st, 2012, 8:07 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
Wasn't it a WSU poster who suggested "Big Valley?"

EL OH EL! I was making fun of you posers. I would have thought the requirement of having the comish named "Hoss" would reflect the seriousness of my comments.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 22nd, 2012, 12:41 pm

C0|db|00ded wrote:
Aargh wrote:That reputation was established quite a few years ago, but long-term reputations is what creates traditions. When some of the top teams in the MVC left, they were replaced with teams transitioning to D1 ball. Those teams got a huge boost by joining a well-respected conference. Now, some fans of those schools want to change the name of the conference because the name is not thaat respected any more.

Ahh yes, "MVC: Rise of the Directionals". It's a quaint story. I would argue those that joined were so weak financially that they couldn't take advantage of whatever boost they received. Zero + boost is still zero. Now we have N.I.U. which is broke, E-ville which is broke, SIU-C hiring KU's ex-travel agent as their head coach. The conference is a mess.

I say we rename the conference to the Missouri Valley Directional Derelicts (MVDD) and promptly remove our school from membership.

T

...:cool:

You are one funny guy Cold. So where is WSU going to land conference wise if you leave the Valley? Are you again proposing that the Shockers go "indedpendant" in basketball? You are the funniest guy on here (and that includes Casey)!!
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » November 22nd, 2012, 1:49 pm

The conference already tried this once. I think it was back in the 80's. They did a lot of publicity trying to change the name to "The Valley." Thne I never heard anything again. Does the logo used by the confernce even have the word "Missouri" in it?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » November 22nd, 2012, 6:37 pm

Drakey wrote:The conference already tried this once. I think it was back in the 80's. They did a lot of publicity trying to change the name to "The Valley." Thne I never heard anything again. Does the logo used by the confernce even have the word "Missouri" in it?

Yes

Straight from MVC-Sports.com - the official site of the MVC.

uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball