Wichita St vs Iowa - Cancun Challenge Championship

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita St vs Iowa - Cancun Challenge Championship

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2012, 7:24 am

Thank you Panther fans! We had about 5 Hawkeye fans visit the board. They wer confident and a little over the top on OUR board before the game, but nothing out of bounds. After the game one or two were completely out of control. They would start a post with a compliment for the win which would quickly turn into backhanded drivel, excuses, and accusations. I didn't expect them to be in awe or anything, but you really shouldn't go to an opponents message board after a loss and accuse them of being classless for celebrating.

I think I'm a Hawk hater.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 22nd, 2012, 8:29 am

Has Fran even beaten a Valley team while at Iowa?

Just lost to WSU, Creighton beat Iowa by almost 30 last year in Des Moines and UNI caused Fran and team to get about 23 technicals last year. Has he beat Drake?

Fran is the Valley's bitch.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » November 22nd, 2012, 8:40 am

Congrats shocker fans. Great start to the season.

VCU was a nice road win and now a neutral tourney champ.

I haven't looked to at stats so far but Marshall looks to have brought the new faces together pretty quickly.

Who stands out so far? I assume early armstead and hall are the key guys.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby unipanther99 » November 22nd, 2012, 8:57 am

Great job, Shockers. Can't stand Fran, and always happy to see the Hawkeyes lose to a Valley team.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2012, 9:08 am

jayball wrote:Congrats shocker fans. Great start to the season.

VCU was a nice road win and now a neutral tourney champ.

I haven't looked to at stats so far but Marshall looks to have brought the new faces together pretty quickly.

Who stands out so far? I assume early armstead and hall are the key guys.

Early took over the game. He started hitting threes and taking his man to the rack off the bounce. It was great to see! Hall is the beast. Armstead is playing very well (doing exactly what was expected preseason) despite being sick for the last week. Orukpe was the eraser! Stat line says 5 blocks in 15 minutes, but A couple were erased by fouls by him or his teammates...also, Iowa only hit a couple field goals in the paint (only one while EO played)...and he hit a 15 foot jump shot! He doesn't have a green light outside of three foot, so I don't expect any more of those.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » November 22nd, 2012, 9:19 am

There was at least 6 shots that Orupke altered aside from the officially-registered 5 blocks. He delivered what was expected in the title game.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CBB_Fan » November 22nd, 2012, 9:25 am

This is the game that Wichita State has played the closest to their potential. Cleanthony Early found his outside shot, and had about 16 points going into half-time (and could easily have been more). Early's game resembles Kevin Durant's, in terms of the the shots he takes and the way he plays. I'm not trying to say he's as good as KD, just that they play a similar style of game.

EO had the game Shocker fans have been expecting for 4 years. He completely and totally dominated Iowa's frontcourt, holding Iowa to 4-31 inside the 3point line, and holding two of their good bigs to a combined 1 point, 2 rebounds. The big man even stepped up and knocked down a 12' jump shot like he'd done before in his life!! (double parenthesis intentional).

I can't guarantee this team will play like this every game, but this shows the type of team that can be. If we can beat Tennessee, we will have wins over the B1G, Big East, SEC, and A10, which should help us and the conference on selection Sunday.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MVCfans » November 22nd, 2012, 9:35 am

CBB_Fan wrote:This is the game that Wichita State has played the closest to their potential. Cleanthony Early found his outside shot, and had about 16 points going into half-time (and could easily have been more). Early's game resembles Kevin Durant's, in terms of the the shots he takes and the way he plays. I'm not trying to say he's as good as KD, just that they play a similar style of game.

EO had the game Shocker fans have been expecting for 4 years. He completely and totally dominated Iowa's frontcourt, holding Iowa to 4-31 inside the 3point line, and holding two of their good bigs to a combined 1 point, 2 rebounds. The big man even stepped up and knocked down a 12' jump shot like he'd done before in his life!! (double parenthesis intentional).

I can't guarantee this team will play like this every game, but this shows the type of team that can be. If we can beat Tennessee, we will have wins over the B1G, Big East, SEC, and A10, which should help us and the conference on selection Sunday.

I was really impressed with Orukpe. I really enjoyed watching the game and cheering for WSU. Here is my brief writeup following the game: wp/2012/11/21/wichita-state-defeats-iowa-75-63-to-win-cancun-challenge/
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 22nd, 2012, 10:03 am

The box score is one of the more interesting I think I've ever seen.

Shox still didn't shoot great (42% from the floor; 35% from three), but that may be the best they have shot from three so far this year. They did have 9 steals and 8 blocks though, which is really good. As usual, WSU won the rebounding battle, this time by 10.

The Iowa stats are crazy: 12-46 from the floor (a very poor 26%), with 8 of those 12 makes coming from behind the arc. Iowa only had four 2 point baskets. Inexplicably, considering the poor shooting from two, Iowa did shoot 53% from beyond the three point arc!

Crazy, crazy box score. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 1211210276

My scouting report on WSU would be to clog up the paint, try not to give up offensive boards and make them shoot outside jumpers. WSU's strength, without a doubt, is its athleticism, which makes them good shot blockers, turnover creators, and tremendous rebounders.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby NEI Panther » November 22nd, 2012, 10:11 am

Way to go! It get's a little harder every year living in this state with Barta (Iowa's AD) and McCaffrey in Iowa City. Love to hear all the Hawk fans cry in their beer and throw out lame excuses!:Violin:
NEI Panther
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball