Evansville Aces at Colorado State (Dec 1st)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville Aces at Colorado State (Dec 1st)

Postby GoShockers89 » December 1st, 2012, 9:39 pm

Last edited by GoShockers89 on August 11th, 2013, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoShockers89
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shocktheheart » December 1st, 2012, 9:47 pm

sixth ace wrote:No my point was that Kentucky was ranked 8th as of today. Until the games are played and the scores are netted out then who knows where they'll fall. Way to early in the season to get all out of control over programs that are overrespected in years that they aren't much . The Valley could end up being the nations 3-4th conference We don't know this early. Ie Kentucky ..UNC ...

Really we went 2-7 today...I think top 10 would be a stretch
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » December 1st, 2012, 10:25 pm

GoShockers89 wrote:What is the feeling at UE about Simmons at this point? Completely safe? Seat warming up?

Right now, completely safe. I've never been a Simmons cheerleader, but I think he's done as good of job as anyone Evansville could have hired at rebuilding the program.

If Evansville finishes this season below 500, then I could see fans getting restless, but I don't think his job would be in jeopardy no matter what happens the rest of the year.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Tom Servo » December 1st, 2012, 10:58 pm

GoShockers89 wrote:What is the feeling at UE about Simmons at this point? Completely safe? Seat warming up?

I personally like Marty and think he gets a lot out of very little, but I cannot imagine fans will be thrilled if the Aces have another 8-10/9-9 MVC record and settle for another CBI appearance. If he can't get it done in six seasons, how many should he get?

Let me say this, I like Marty, I think he is a good guy, and I hope he does well. I really hope he can, at least, get into the NIT this year. If he can, that would be a great step for the program considering where we have been. He would then be able to build on that.
However, in my opinion, his seat should be getting warm if he doesn't get in the NIT. He would have had one of the best players to ever play here (Ryan) and not even make the NIT once while he was here if they don't get in this year. That would be pathetic. If Simmons was anywhere else in the Valley his seat would be getting pretty warm under those conditions, I'm sure.
Last edited by Tom Servo on December 1st, 2012, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby havoc » December 1st, 2012, 11:17 pm

I personally like Marty and think he gets a lot out of very little, but I cannot imagine fans will be thrilled if the Aces have another 8-10/9-9 MVC record and settle for another CBI appearance. If he can't get it done in six seasons, how many should he get?

For me, his seat is starting to warm. As of right now, I'm not sure this is even a 9-9 CBI team. Unless there is a total meltdown and they finish 9th/10th, I don't think he will be going anywhere this year but if next year rolls around and a winning season is not achieved I think it would be high time to part ways.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shocktheheart » December 1st, 2012, 11:20 pm

havoc wrote:

For me, his seat is starting to warm. As of right now, I'm not sure this is even a 9-9 CBI team. Unless there is a total meltdown and they finish 9th/10th, I don't think he will be going anywhere this year but if next year rolls around and a winning season is not achieved I think it would be high time to part ways.

Do you really think Evansville finishes better next year with Colt gone? I don't see how that happens when you have run the offense through one player for at least three years.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » December 1st, 2012, 11:34 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
Do you really think Evansville finishes better next year with Colt gone? I don't see how that happens when you have run the offense through one player for at least three years.

I think it is a possibility. It appears early on in his career that DJ Balentine is capable of filling putting the ball in the basket a bunch. While young at the moment, it appears UE finally has a front court in Mockevicius, Moore, and Sawvell that are capable of competing at a level not seen in awhile for this program. No doubt losing Ryan will be a blow, but on paper at least it would seem the pieces are there to at least be a .500 team next year.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » December 1st, 2012, 11:44 pm

This team has the most talent potential since the Crews' coached 99-00 team. Why? Potentially we have both guards and post players who can match up with 7-8 of the MVC teams. Again, focus on potential.

Emphasis on potential.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 2nd, 2012, 8:06 am

I agree that Mock and Balentine are showing a lot of potential as freshman.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball