December 1 - Huge day for the Valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » November 29th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Here are the games coming up that I feel are key for the Valley in the non-conference schedule. Look at December 1 - what an opportunity for the MVC.

link: The MVC Report - Important non-conference games
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: December 1 - Huge day for the Valley

Postby AndShock » November 29th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Expecting 2-5, 0-7 wouldn't shock me.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby C0|db|00ded » November 29th, 2012, 7:31 pm

"Wichita State has been perhaps the most pleasant surprise in the Valley" -MVC Chris

Maybe a surprise to you...

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » November 29th, 2012, 10:21 pm

C0|db|00ded wrote:"Wichita State has been perhaps the most pleasant surprise in the Valley" -MVC Chris

T

Some of us tried to educate the fine readers of this forum, but we were met with derision and scorn.

I doubt that the coaches in the Valley are as surprised as the fans.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 29th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Aargh wrote:
C0|db|00ded wrote:"Wichita State has been perhaps the most pleasant surprise in the Valley" -MVC Chris

T

Some of us tried to educate the fine readers of this forum, but we were met with derision and scorn.

Wrong. Most, if not everybody on here said WSU could be a 1st place team, and they could be a 5th place team. Hard to have a strong vote of confidence for players that nobody has seen play.

If there was any scorn for your predictions, it was for those that stated outlandish things such as your boys being better than McDermott, Ryan, and Carmicheal, which in that case scorn was completely reasonable.

Grow up.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 29th, 2012, 11:49 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Aargh wrote:

T

Wrong. Most, if not everybody on here said WSU could be a 1st place team, and they could be a 5th place team. Hard to have a strong vote of confidence for players that nobody has seen play.

If there was any scorn for your predictions, it was for those that stated outlandish things such as your boys being better than McDermott, Ryan, and Carmicheal, which in that case scorn was completely reasonable.

Grow up.

Please show me the posts where "most, if not everybody" said WSU could be a first place team. Please show me any posts (other than WSU fans) that even HINTED that WSU could finish above 4th or 5th.

CU runs a lot of their game through McDermott. UE runs their entire game through Ryan. IlSU has weapons past Carmichael, but they rely on him heavily. WSU relies on 10 guys and fresh legs.

McDermott went for 12 (4 of 9) and 7 in 35 minutes in Wichita. Then 13 (5/14) and 6 in 32 minutes in Omaha. 12.5 points and 6.5 boards doesn't strike fear in my heart or make me think McD is better than any of several players for WSU. McD racks up stats against the weak sisters. No one for WSU does that, because WSU plays a deep, deep bench.

Ryan racks up stats after games are over, but there's still time on the clock. UE runs a constant screening game designed to get Ryan an open look. Ryan is a great shooter, but there's no way to compare him against other shooters in the league, because no one else runs their entire offensive patterns around one player.

Carmichael is a stud. He shares front court points, defense, and rebounds with Ekey, who is not tearing it up this year. Points, D, and boards are split among Orukpe, Hall, and Early I will be happy to compare points in the paint with IlSU in games against WSU. Carmichael will likely have the better individual stats, but WSU will likely have the better team stats - shared among more players playing fewer minutes each.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 30th, 2012, 6:44 am

That was quite the hyperbole to state that most felt WSU could finish 1st. I don't know that anyone was saying that individually, any Shocker was better than the 3 kings, though some felt that WSU was talented enough to neutralize them in game action.

Many dismissed the JUCO players as being irrelevant until next season and Carl Hall as being a poor mans Tuttle. This despite the scouting report given.

Contrast that with the scouting report given by Bears fans on Gavin Thurman, which several on here bought into. The truth is that Gavin looked really good in the summer going up against other Bears players, but has shown his weakness when playing D-I competition.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » November 30th, 2012, 10:05 am

T

I'd say SIU and Bradley have been the biggest surprises. As for WSU, I'm not sure any of their wins so far will be looked upon as great wins at the end of the year. I hope VCU and Iowa are good, but I don't think either are NCAA teams. And DePaul is bad.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » November 30th, 2012, 10:15 am

Red wrote:

T

I'd say SIU and Bradley have been the biggest surprises. As for WSU, I'm not sure any of their wins so far will be looked upon as great wins at the end of the year. I hope VCU and Iowa are good, but I don't think either are NCAA teams. And DePaul is bad.

You don't think VCU is a NCAA team? I know they are 4 -3, but there losses are to all top 50 RPI teams (WSU, Duke, and Missouri). They have a SOS of 26 and a RPI of 55. They have almost the whole team back from a third round NCAA team. I think they will be fine and a top 50 RPI team.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 30th, 2012, 10:20 am

Aargh wrote:Please show me the posts where "most, if not everybody" said WSU could be a first place team. Please show me any posts (other than WSU fans) that even HINTED that WSU could finish above 4th or 5th.

CU runs a lot of their game through McDermott. UE runs their entire game through Ryan. IlSU has weapons past Carmichael, but they rely on him heavily. WSU relies on 10 guys and fresh legs.

McDermott went for 12 (4 of 9) and 7 in 35 minutes in Wichita. Then 13 (5/14) and 6 in 32 minutes in Omaha. 12.5 points and 6.5 boards doesn't strike fear in my heart or make me think McD is better than any of several players for WSU. McD racks up stats against the weak sisters. No one for WSU does that, because WSU plays a deep, deep bench.

Ryan racks up stats after games are over, but there's still time on the clock. UE runs a constant screening game designed to get Ryan an open look. Ryan is a great shooter, but there's no way to compare him against other shooters in the league, because no one else runs their entire offensive patterns around one player.

Carmichael is a stud. He shares front court points, defense, and rebounds with Ekey, who is not tearing it up this year. Points, D, and boards are split among Orukpe, Hall, and Early I will be happy to compare points in the paint with IlSU in games against WSU. Carmichael will likely have the better individual stats, but WSU will likely have the better team stats - shared among more players playing fewer minutes each.

This disrespect card that you have played with nearly every single one of your posts is a figment of your imagination. WSU was the MVC champion last year, and you think they deserve to be picked to win it again. The reality is, THAT TEAM did not come back this year. It was a completely different team, and picking them to finish anywhere in the top 3-4 (which most did) is showing them a TON of respect.

Here are just a couple quotes from the short "vote for 4th place" thread in which WSU was selected, and there are several others like this that run this common theme toward WSU throughout the preseason:

valleychamp wrote:I picked Wichita. I trust that the players they will have will be good enough to finish someplace in the top half, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them anywhere in the top 3. But I can't pick them ahead of UNI, ISU, and CU right now because there is just too much unknown about them.

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I voted WSU here, but wouldn't be surprised if they end up higher. At the moment, there are just too many new players that I haven't seen or know about to vote them higher.

Red wrote:Shockers here. To me the they might be the biggest unknown in the whole league and could finish literally anywhere from the top to Thursday night.

Listen, if you think all of your players are better than than the players that are 1st team all-valley, or even all-americans, than I would expect that team would have no problem winning this league by 5 games or more, because that would be an MVC All-Star team. Is that your prediction? Come to think of it, have you even made a prediction, or do you just like to whine about people who actually make them?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball