December 1 - Huge day for the Valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: December 1 - Huge day for the Valley

Postby Khan4Cats » November 30th, 2012, 10:23 am

The Shockers are coming off their first conference title since 2005-06. I remember how good Wichita State looked in November and December of 2006 the following season. Can someone please remind me of how well they played from January through March of 2007?
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shocktheheart » November 30th, 2012, 10:28 am

Khan4Cats wrote:The Shockers are coming off their first conference title since 2005-06. I remember how good Wichita State looked in November and December of 2006 the following season. Can someone please remind me of how well they played from January through March of 2007?

I think everyone knows they tanked the rest of the year. Are you trying to compare two teams that have completely different coaching staffs and players? The only thing that is the same is the name on the jersey.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 30th, 2012, 10:38 am

shocktheheart wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:The Shockers are coming off their first conference title since 2005-06. I remember how good Wichita State looked in November and December of 2006 the following season. Can someone please remind me of how well they played from January through March of 2007?

I think everyone knows they tanked the rest of the year. Are you trying to compare two teams that have completely different coaching staffs and players? The only thing that is the same is the name on the jersey.

What has happened before can happen again. There are still 3+ months to go in the season. A great November does not guarantee a great January and February.

Have the Shockers looked good? Yes they have.

How will they respond to adversity? Sounds like they played through some sickness and dings this week.

How will they respond to a loss or two in conference?

How will they respond to a national ranking?

You are right, these are different teams. We won't know the full answers for a few months.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » November 30th, 2012, 10:48 am

Khan4Cats wrote:
shocktheheart wrote:

What has happened before can happen again. There are still 3+ months to go in the season. A great November does not guarantee a great January and February.

Have the Shockers looked good? Yes they have.

How will they respond to adversity? Sounds like they played through some sickness and dings this week.

How will they respond to a loss or two in conference?

How will they respond to a national ranking?

You are right, these are different teams. We won't know the full answers for a few months.

You can say that about any team. Why pick on the Shockers? They are the last undefeated team in the MVC and have an average margin of victory of 14.5 points and a RPI of 20. Do I believe they will go undefeated? No, I also believe they will lose a game or two that will make you scratch your head. What I do know, is that Marshall is a great coach and it looks like they have gotten to the point where they don't have to rebuild, but just reload. I don't believe they will win the Valley either as I still believe CU will pull it out. I would be disappointed if they didn't finish first or second in the Valley.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » November 30th, 2012, 11:15 am

Red wrote:I'd say SIU and Bradley have been the biggest surprises. As for WSU, I'm not sure any of their wins so far will be looked upon as great wins at the end of the year. I hope VCU and Iowa are good, but I don't think either are NCAA teams. And DePaul is bad.

I have similar feelings regarding Illinois State.

I do think VCU is a very solid win. They'll be a tourney team. WSU's wins must be getting some people's attention, considering they're second in the receiving votes category in the AP poll, good enough for 27th.
Last edited by shoxrox on November 30th, 2012, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » November 30th, 2012, 11:17 am

Valid concerns if Turgeon was still the coach and we didn't have the type of players we do now. Anything can definitely happen but you're reaching with that comparison.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » November 30th, 2012, 11:38 am

Besides the obvious coaching differences of 06-07 and 12-13 the makeup of the teams are much different. If I remember right the 06-07 team was exactly the same as the Sweet 16 team minus Paul Miller. This 12-13 is made up of players who have never had a significant role playing D1 basketball, minus Armstead and Williams and Hall, I guess you could count Tekele also. I would expect newbies like we have now to improve rather than regress like the 06-07 team.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 30th, 2012, 1:08 pm

From the fifth place thread:

UE 71 wrote:Shox lost too much from last season to warrant any higher than fifth.

ACECARD wrote: I voted for WSU to finish fifth just because I think the Aces will finish higher than that, and apparently there are others who think the same.

BirdmanBB wrote:I voted for WSU again.

And from the sixth place thread:

BirdmanBB wrote:I voted for WSU. Why? 5 new starters and all the sudden everyone expects them to be in the top 4.....really?

WSU loses 5 starters and everyone expects them to still compete for a top spot, but ISU loses 1 Freshman starter and all the sudden it is armageddon for the program. Not that I don't like WSU, but too much love is being given from fans/media for the upcomming season. I give them a year to be in the middle and then they will be in contention the following again.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » November 30th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Again WSU posters take over a thread that doesn't pertain to them. The thread is December 1 Huge day for the Valley. Not December 2
:Beer:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » November 30th, 2012, 1:39 pm

sixth ace wrote:Again WSU posters take over a thread that doesn't pertain to them. The thread is December 1 Huge day for the Valley. Not December 2
:Beer:

Read the article...it mentions WSU at the end.
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball