December 1 - Huge day for the Valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: December 1 - Huge day for the Valley

Postby shoxrox » November 30th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Reading comprehension is very underrated.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » November 30th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Wufan wrote:From the fifth place thread:

UE 71 wrote:Shox lost too much from last season to warrant any higher than fifth.

ACECARD wrote: I voted for WSU to finish fifth just because I think the Aces will finish higher than that, and apparently there are others who think the same.

BirdmanBB wrote:I voted for WSU again.

And from the sixth place thread:

BirdmanBB wrote:I voted for WSU. Why? 5 new starters and all the sudden everyone expects them to be in the top 4.....really?

WSU loses 5 starters and everyone expects them to still compete for a top spot, but ISU loses 1 Freshman starter and all the sudden it is armageddon for the program. Not that I don't like WSU, but too much love is being given from fans/media for the upcomming season. I give them a year to be in the middle and then they will be in contention the following again.

I can't believe someone went to the trouble to look this up? Just to prove a small point that a few board members were disbelieving that WSU would be good this year? So what? I'm not going to take the time to look it up but I believe there were a number of posters stating that just didn't know how good WSU would be this year. That's what MVC fans said in his pre season analysis. It's just very unusual for a team to lose that much and come back and finish at the top of the Valley. So the reaction and predictions were entirely normal.

There's no doubt that WSU is pretty good. How good? It's still very early and SOS wasn't that great outside of VCU. Things could still go South. I'm still not convinced that their offense isn't going to let them down at various times this year. But I could be very wrong. That's why they play the games and why the season is so exciting.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 30th, 2012, 6:10 pm

valleychamp wrote:If there was any scorn for your predictions, it was for those that stated outlandish things such as your boys being better than McDermott…which in that case scorn was completely reasonable.

Grow up.

I don't think any WSU poster said that anyone was "better than McDermott," but Luke Winn at SI.com had this to say:

"Pretty amazing, under-the-radar feat being pulled off by Gregg Marshall: After losing the top five guys in his rotation from last season's Missouri Valley regular-season championship team, the Shockers are 7-0, including a win at VCU, and they're essentially even with Creighton in kenpom.com's efficiency rankings. (The Shockers are No. 34, Bluejays are 32.)

The biggest reason why has been 6-8 juco transfer Cleanthony Early, whom Marshall -- back in November 2011 -- called "the most complete offensive player I have recruited in my tenure at Wichita State". Early has backed that up by posting a nearly identical usage/efficiency profile to the Valley's most famous player, Creighton's Doug McDermott, albeit in fewer minutes…"

Number 16, at the bottom: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... =cb_t11_a0
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm

glm38 wrote:
Wufan wrote:From the fifth place thread:

UE 71 wrote:Shox lost too much from last season to warrant any higher than fifth.

ACECARD wrote: I voted for WSU to finish fifth just because I think the Aces will finish higher than that, and apparently there are others who think the same.

BirdmanBB wrote:I voted for WSU again.

And from the sixth place thread:

BirdmanBB wrote:I voted for WSU. Why? 5 new starters and all the sudden everyone expects them to be in the top 4.....really?

WSU loses 5 starters and everyone expects them to still compete for a top spot, but ISU loses 1 Freshman starter and all the sudden it is armageddon for the program. Not that I don't like WSU, but too much love is being given from fans/media for the upcomming season. I give them a year to be in the middle and then they will be in contention the following again.

I can't believe someone went to the trouble to look this up? Just to prove a small point that a few board members were disbelieving that WSU would be good this year? So what? I'm not going to take the time to look it up but I believe there were a number of posters stating that just didn't know how good WSU would be this year. That's what MVC fans said in his pre season analysis. It's just very unusual for a team to lose that much and come back and finish at the top of the Valley. So the reaction and predictions were entirely normal.

There's no doubt that WSU is pretty good. How good? It's still very early and SOS wasn't that great outside of VCU. Things could still go South. I'm still not convinced that their offense isn't going to let them down at various times this year. But I could be very wrong. That's why they play the games and why the season is so exciting.

Check page 1, as my post was a response to ValleyChamp. Sniping posts does nothing to prove his theory that "most if not everybody picked WSU to finish between 1st and 4th. I just wanted to point that out.
Last edited by Wufan on November 30th, 2012, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 30th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Aargh has, Wufan. That is why I questioned his post.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 30th, 2012, 6:17 pm

valleychamp wrote:Aargh has, Wufan. That is why I questioned his post.

Gotcha! Now you can debate with Aargh and Luke Winn.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » November 30th, 2012, 7:06 pm

ODDS FOR 12/1

BRADLEY +12.5

CREIGHTON -6.5

EVANSVILLE+10.5

ILSU +10.5

INSU +5.5

UNI-13.5

PLACE YOUR BETS WISELY
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » November 30th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Bet the farm, wife, daughter, son, whatever you got on St. Joes.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » November 30th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Jays26 wrote:Bet the farm, wife, daughter, son, whatever you got on St. Joes.

That's one bet no man will regret.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Aargh » November 30th, 2012, 11:07 pm

valleychamp wrote:Aargh has, Wufan. That is why I questioned his post.

I'm supposed to apologize or something for supporting the members of the team I support?

Basketball is played on two ends of the court. J.T. Durley may have scored in the 12-point range through his first 3 years at WSU, but he was giving up 20 or so on the other end of the court. He got some boards, but he was still a negative points guy because of his D in his first 3 years at WSU.

Doug McDermott has glitzy stats on points and rebounds, but he doesn't play D and he's not that effective against athletic PF's who are quicker than he is. Doug is an outstanding player, but his stats are a bit padded by the system CU plays. There's a reason why McD is a pre-season AA and a national PoY candidate, but is projected at #70 in the NBA draft if he were to declare for the NBA.

I reserve my appreciation for players with a complete game - those who play both ends of the court. I also have a lot of fondness for players who get their stats as part of their team - rather than being their team.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball