I think the MVC lost a tournament bid tonight

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: I think the MVC lost a tournament bid tonight

Postby AndShock » December 3rd, 2012, 12:26 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Wufan wrote:
valleychamp wrote:RPI is a pretty pointless tool this early in the season.

Do you honestly believe that UNI has had the 241'st toughest schedule in in the country this year?

No I don't, but I do believe that WSU has the best win in the conference and, outside of Creighton, the second best win. I also don't understand why BC would go out there with his statement. It was ludicrous and I thought the best way to educate him would be with facts. Here's one more…8-0 versus D-I opponents.

I went there because somehow its just assumed that WSU is going to be a tournament team. They are off to a great start, but the vast majority of their roster hasn't played any significant minutes inside any of the tougher Valley venues. It was just an observation. No need to get all worked up about it.

I like the program Marshall has put together and understand that if the Valley is going to get 3 or 4, WSU has to be part of that equation. The guy acts like a clown half the time, but results are all that matter. :D

Tougher Valley venues? We just played @ Air Force, it compares nicely to most Valley gyms.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 3rd, 2012, 1:11 pm

There are 2 Valley teams in the AP Top 25. Creighton at 16 and WSU at 24.

I think the conference is getting more recognition this year than in recent years past. I think our chances for multiple tourney bids is still going strong. As long as the teams that are supposed to win do win.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » December 3rd, 2012, 2:11 pm

BCPanther wrote:Why are we crowning WSU??

Their two best wins are against a VCU team who's best win is a disappointing Memphis (I understand they beat UNI) and Iowa, who UNI will also beat and will finish 8th or so in the Big Ten.

They look good, but I don't think we should be printing up T-shirts just yet...

Who specifically are you targeting with your comments? Maybe you should address them specifically if you want a more direct answer.
I find it kind of funny that you are upset about someone crowning WSU, when in the same breath, have called the UNI-Iowa result already. Pot meet kettle?
Considering VCU on the road is the league's best win so far, the team is 8-0, and now a mass of sports media has now projected them as the 24th best team in the country, that's a fair start. A lot can and will happen in the future but as of now, the crown is at least getting sized
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » December 3rd, 2012, 2:15 pm

BCPanther wrote:I went there because somehow its just assumed that WSU is going to be a tournament team. They are off to a great start, but the vast majority of their roster hasn't played any significant minutes inside any of the tougher Valley venues. It was just an observation.

Playing at VCU has seasoned the team well and is way tougher than any Valley venue. Considering WSU's 22-3 road record over the last 3 years, I'd venture to say the only one out of line without stats on their side is you.

shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LMS » December 3rd, 2012, 2:20 pm

shoxrox wrote:
BCPanther wrote:I went there because somehow its just assumed that WSU is going to be a tournament team. They are off to a great start, but the vast majority of their roster hasn't played any significant minutes inside any of the tougher Valley venues. It was just an observation.

Playing at VCU has seasoned the team well and is way tougher than any Valley venue. Considering WSU's 22-3 road record over the last 3 years, I'd venture to say the only one out of line without stats on their side is you.

I want WSU to do well because that helps Creighton. To be 8-0 is a credit to Marshall for sure. However VCU is the only team Wichita State has beaten that is even getting votes in the polls. And it was like two votes. I think it is fair to say that Wichita State still has work to do to be an atlarge contender.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 3rd, 2012, 2:26 pm

And Creighton has beaten who?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » December 3rd, 2012, 2:45 pm

Wufan wrote:And Creighton has beaten who?

My post had nothing to do with Creighton other than wishing Wichita State well as I'm sure you noticed. However, I would bet that both St. Joe's and Wisconsin are in the NCAA tournament come March. I wouldn't be surprised if Boise had a chance too as they are the best team I've seen so far.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 3rd, 2012, 3:30 pm

LMS wrote:
Wufan wrote:And Creighton has beaten who?

My post had nothing to do with Creighton other than wishing Wichita State well as I'm sure you noticed. However, I would bet that both St. Joe's and Wisconsin are in the NCAA tournament come March. I wouldn't be surprised if Boise had a chance too as they are the best team I've seen so far.

Just noting that WSU isn't the only team that still has work to do. Winning at VCU is a much bigger deal then you make it out to be. Their record at home, I believe, is better than WSUs on the road.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 3rd, 2012, 3:52 pm

Wufan wrote:Just noting that WSU isn't the only team that still has work to do. Winning at VCU is a much bigger deal then you make it out to be. Their record at home, I believe, is better than WSUs on the road.

I'm not sure that is really relevant to anything. For a long time, Utah State had one of the best home winning records in the country, but they almost always had to win their conference's autobid in order to make the NCAA tourney.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » December 3rd, 2012, 4:38 pm

I don't think that point is really relevant either. Are we really comparing VCU to Utah State? I think it's pretty clear what the merits of VCU have been lately and where they have been projected going into the year. Anybody watching them in Atlantis probably should say to you that they are a pretty good team. Lets face it. It's the reason WSU is ranked right now.

shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball