MVC Power Rankings - December 2 edition

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Power Rankings - December 2 edition

Postby BCPanther » December 5th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Aargh wrote:A lot has changed since '05-'06. The Valley scheduled up in the non-con - and then won most of those games. In 2006, I believe InSU had a single-digit RPI going into league play.

The BCS-affiliated schools raised hell because the Valley had "tricked the RPI system". Now, the BCS-affiliated schools schedule a couple games with each other in OOC play. That solves the SoS beatdown they took in '05-'06 when they scheduled nothing but cream puffs. The Valley was knocking down road wins against top-100 RPI teams while the BCS-affiliated schools were racking up home wins over RPI 250+ schools.

When the BCS-affiliated schools were scheduling nothing but cupcakes and the Valley had a mandate to schedule high-quality OOC games, there was a window of opportunity for the Valley to have decent quality W's compared to the BCS-affiliated schools.

Now that those schools are scheduling each other, there's a winner and a loser in those games. The winner gets a big boost for the quality win, and the loser doesn't take a hit for losing to a quality opponent. The environment is different now than it was 6 or 7 years ago.

This is absolutely spot on.

The BCS has cracked the code in the reverse of the way we did. That way they can assure that the MVC, A10, and MWC stay at a 'Near High Major' Level...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoShockers89 » December 5th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Eh, seems to me that the MVC has had plenty of opportunities against top teams this year- we just have an abysmal success rate compared to 2006.

There has always been a racket among the BCS schools when it comes to scheduling. We were complaining about the same tactics five years ago, ten years ago, and fifteen years ago on the various versions of the MVC board. If anything, scheduling became significantly easier for MVC schools post-2006 when courts reversed the NCAA ban limiting teams to one exempt early season tournament every other year.

It's not a lack of opportunity or a conspiracy that will keep the league from getting three or four bids this season- it's a complete and utter failure to convert winnable opportunities.
GoShockers89
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 5th, 2012, 2:06 pm

GoShockers89 wrote:If anything, scheduling became significantly easier for MVC schools post-2006 when courts reversed the NCAA ban limiting teams to one exempt early season tournament every other year.

Did the change really result from a legal challenge? I had thought the NCAA just changed the rules.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GoShockers89 » December 5th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Last edited by GoShockers89 on August 11th, 2013, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoShockers89
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 5th, 2012, 5:17 pm

GoShockers89 wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
GoShockers89 wrote:If anything, scheduling became significantly easier for MVC schools post-2006 when courts reversed the NCAA ban limiting teams to one exempt early season tournament every other year.

Did the change really result from a legal challenge? I had thought the NCAA just changed the rules.

You are correct, my memory played a trick on me.

No problem! I thought I had missed something!
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » December 7th, 2012, 6:54 pm

I can't believe the Bears are last!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't even look, just knew it.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball