DOUGIE

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

DOUGIE

Postby cufan_mvcfan » December 7th, 2012, 5:10 pm

long time reader, new poster here. I don't want to make this a Dougie love-fest. However, i read an article last night that was pretty interesting. IF Dougie duplicates his sophomore point total this year and a probably non-existent senior year he will be ONE GAME off of the all-time leading MVC points record. Dougie is not perfect by any means, but it simply isn't too often we see an offensive talent like this come along. Figured it deserved some recognition.
cufan_mvcfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

DOUGIE

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: DOUGIE

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 7th, 2012, 5:44 pm

cufan_mvcfan wrote:long time reader, new poster here. I don't want to make this a Dougie love-fest. However, i read an article last night that was pretty interesting. IF Dougie duplicates his sophomore point total this year and a probably non-existent senior year he will be ONE GAME off of the all-time leading MVC points record. Dougie is not perfect by any means, but it simply isn't too often we see an offensive talent like this come along. Figured it deserved some recognition.

If the purpose of your post is to generate some recognition for Dougie, then you have failed.

Every fine poster on this fine forum already knows about Dougie's talent.

It will be most interesting to see how the Valley teams defend against him.

If he gets the ball in the paint, he is deadly.

If he gets the ball on the 3 line and there is not a hand in his face, he is deadly.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jaybydna » December 7th, 2012, 6:17 pm

I almost posted this in another thread, but will here instead. Short answer, Doug gets to show his talents because of the talent that surrounds him.

GE has been an absolute BEAST the last two games, and has been very physical in doing so. His box scores are unreal, and he can hold his own physically against even 320 pound centers like NU had.

Then you have Wragge and now Chatman. Wragge is hitting 50% from 3, and Austin is starting to drive the lane while hitting medium and long range jumpers. Then you have Gibbs who has the best basketball mind in the MVC outside the coaching ranks.

Without all these factors, Doug gets double and triple teamed, people crash the lane with a zone, or a box-in-one is employed to target him. He gets freedom from his supporting cast.

He still has to finish his shots, but he is not a one horse show.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby cufan_mvcfan » December 7th, 2012, 7:18 pm

haven't failed. knowledge of someone's talent is actually a prerequisite for recognition. i was just pointing out that a big time conference record has a chance to be broken if he decides to stay. figured most people didn't realize that, i know i didn't.
cufan_mvcfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby bcg » December 7th, 2012, 8:18 pm

It looks like Doug McDermott had 581 points as a freshman and 801 points as a sophomore for 1382 points (74 games). Two more seasons of 801 would get him to 2,984.

Hersey Hawkins had 3,008 in 125 games.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby cufan_mvcfan » December 7th, 2012, 10:22 pm

3008-2984= 24. he would be 24 points shy of the record, or slightly more than one game's worth of points. So, there would be chance.
cufan_mvcfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Aargh » December 7th, 2012, 11:42 pm

So, in 148 or so games McDermott would get about equal points as Hawkins got in 125 games.

Larry Bird only had 3 years. Xavier McDaniel isn't up there because of the talent around him. He was behind Antoine Carr and Cliff Levingston his Fr year and shared the court with Carr his So year. The talent around Carr included 2 NBA centers, an NBA PF, and an NBA SG.

I'm certain Drake and Bradley and possibly some other schools have some players who are not high in the record books because the teams they played on had too many other scorers - preventing an individual from great status in the record books.

Then there was the entire era when players only got 3 years of eligibility and teams only played 30 games a year. Then there was the era before the shot clock, when holding the ball for minutes at a time was a legitimate strategy. Throw in the fact that a 20' shot used to be worth only 2 points.

McDermott is a good player - probably a great player. If he gets the Valley career scoring title, that would be a substantial accomplishment, but the environment is different now than it was when those records were established.

It's been said that McD, the elder, wants CU to play better D. If that happens, it will reduce CU's possessions by 5 - 10 a game. That will reduce McD, the younger's, scoring opportunities.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cufan_mvcfan » December 8th, 2012, 12:02 am

Can't argue with any of that. I was just pointing out there is a chance he breaks the conference scoring record, which would undeniably be a great accomplishment. If it were that easy to do, i fee like the top 15 or so would be dominated by players of the recent past and several current players would be on pace to crack the top ten. doesn't seem to be the case.
cufan_mvcfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby iSASO » December 8th, 2012, 6:57 am

Surely everyone will agree that Dougie is a better player than Oscar Robertson, Wes Unseld, Chet Walker and Dave Stallworth.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 8th, 2012, 10:41 am

jaybydna wrote:I almost posted this in another thread, but will here instead. Short answer, Doug gets to show his talents because of the talent that surrounds him.

GE has been an absolute BEAST the last two games, and has been very physical in doing so. His box scores are unreal, and he can hold his own physically against even 320 pound centers like NU had.

Then you have Wragge and now Chatman. Wragge is hitting 50% from 3, and Austin is starting to drive the lane while hitting medium and long range jumpers. Then you have Gibbs who has the best basketball mind in the MVC outside the coaching ranks.

Without all these factors, Doug gets double and triple teamed, people crash the lane with a zone, or a box-in-one is employed to target him. He gets freedom from his supporting cast.

He still has to finish his shots, but he is not a one horse show.

You have managed to redefine hyperbole.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball