UNI struggles

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI struggles

Postby valleychamp » December 28th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
valleychamp wrote:RPI is difficult to judge/project yet to this point in the season--but with that in mind, looking at the RPI as it stands right now UNI has a whopping EIGHT games against RPI top 50 teams remaining on their schedule, and that does not count the extra bracketbuster game or whatever game(s) they get in STL.

UNI has 20 regular season games left, +Arch Madness. Even going something like 14-6 in that stretch puts UNI at 21 wins that likely include many top 50 and top 100 wins, with a chance to make a run in STL after that. Like I said, UNI will have to go on a huge run in conference to make it happen, but the fact is that they still have every opportunity to do so.

Champ, Look at that 14-6 closely. If any of those 6 losses are to the bottom 5 teams (with RPI's currently at 160 or higher) that would be a BAD loss for the resume. Now, what about 2 losses to them? UNI is out with that. Okay, say we don't lose to any of the lower RPI teams and only good ones. That means we go 2-6 against the top 4 schools. Also not earth-shattering and we still don't have a 'whopping' number of quality wins to go with all those good losses. If we go 4-4 against the top 4 and lose bracketbusters and first round in STL, it is also likely on the wrong side of the bubble as the BB won't be a great win and that first round loss will be to a team with a 150 RPI most likely.

The window isn't completely closed for a UNI at-large but the screen is in place and the shutters have been closed. It is a very narrow path in front of the Panthers.

Win the whole damn conference and not worry about it. That's a good path.

I know...

I realize that it will take some unique circumstances and the right combination of wins. Its not likely, and I pointed that out already. I am just saying its possible and that precedent is already out there from past tournaments.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle » December 28th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Everyone is essentially saying the same thing in this thread.

The Panthers getting an at large bid is unlikely, but still possible.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » December 28th, 2012, 10:10 pm

It's unlikely I win the Powerball, but........ Possible!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 28th, 2012, 10:16 pm

I am glad that I do not know enough to contribute to this discussion.

I do have instincts.

Cats out.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » December 28th, 2012, 11:25 pm

If SIU or BU go 18-0, an at-large bid is still possible for them.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » December 30th, 2012, 12:17 am

UNI's RPI % is .5336. The Valley's average RPI % is .5341. UNI's RPI rank is 116. If UNI does what would be expected in Valley games, their RPI rank will stay pretty much unchanged because of the similarity between theri RPI % and the Valley's RPI %.

There are 4 Valley teams with RPI's better than UNI's. That leaves 5 teams with RPI's worse than UNI's. It's going to be hard for UNI to raise their RPI 60 points in that environment. UNI needs to raise their RPI by about 80 points.

I've watched lot of Valley teams this year. UNI doesn't look like a team that will take 4 games against UNI, WSU, or either ISU. UNI lso looks like a team that will drop a couple to teams other than those 4. That leaves UNI at 13-5 in the Valley and 19-10 overall going into St. Louis. I'd be surprised if that would give UNI a top-50 RPI.

In addition to the Interlude Dance, the UNI student body needs to learn 2 chants:
C-C-C-B-I
-and-
C-C-C-I-T
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball