Conference expansion candidates

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Conference expansion candidates

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 24th, 2012, 9:10 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:As a sign of league unity and solidarity I think we should avoid scheduling CU if this happens.

I am reminded of the great Kim Mulkey quote when asked about Baylor continuing to play Texas Aggie:

"My feeling is this: If a man wants to divorce me and says our relationship has no value to him, and then asks me if he can sleep with me, the answer is NO!"

Pretty tough talk considering you have Tulsa on your schedule despite their departure from the MVC and your RPI is 327.

We can buy SWAC schools with better RPIs than MSU.

At this point, I doubt Creighton would have much interest in playing you anyway. Maybe in about 5 years, you guys can pay off Lusk and we can talk.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Shocktop42 » December 24th, 2012, 11:49 am

unipanther99 wrote:I'll stand by my earlier suggestion that if (and its a big if) North Dakota State can expand our current TV package to Fox Sports North, they would make a solid addition. They have a rabid fan base with deep pockets and tons of potential. Some of their fans are annoying as hell, but consider who they would be replacing. ;)

I don't know much about NDSU except for what I have seen from their football team and their game against Kansas a few years ago.

I does seem like they are committed to athletics and although they are a d1 newbie, they seem like a team that could be on the rise (and could be in the top half of the mvc today in mens basketball). Their football success will only pad their athletic budgets and will surely trickle down to their basketball budgets.

I'm not sure that they will bring any deals via FSN however if we are looking for schools, I think that i'd prefer them (with athletic capabilities) than schools that might bring bigger markets (but nobody really cares about ....i.e. denver).
Shocktop42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 24th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Right now there's a pretty neat 5/5 split between football and non-football members. I'd like to see a Creighton replacement preserve that split, and hopefully provide some western support to keep Wichita around. Oral Bob and Denver are probably the best fits on that front.

The thing that really scares me about NDSU is SDSU. I'm nervous about those 2 wanting to be a package deal. Sure they're doing fine as of late, but the basketball conference would be paying for those programs' peak value, not their baseline value.

You have to be careful with expansion. Right now there's a Big East Jr. situation in the MVC. Some schools prioritize football and have FBS plans in the long-term (UNI, IlSU). Some prize basketball clearly, with varying degrees of success (Creighton and WSU to the positive, Bradley and Drake to the negative). A couple schools are struggling to keep up (sorry, Evansville). You start adding football schools, you may see Wichita/Drake/Bradley want to go all C7 on the conference, except they don't have the firepower to pull it off.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Haha » December 24th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Yep not sure who would want to join Wichita/Drake/Bradley in an all non football league.

A. Some of the football members are the quality BB members (just don't like that they focus on football). Namely ISUr and UNI, heck SIU is cash strapped but Hinson can get them where they need to go for cheap.

B. It's not like the C07 situation where the NCAA is going to grant an auto bid

But just for fun lets see:

Wichita, Drake, Bradley, Denver, Belmont, Loyola, UIC, Milwaukee, Oral Roberts

Yep I would rather be in the Valley I think.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » December 24th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Haha wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
Haha wrote:\
\It's simple...9 is an acceptable number for a league and no need for anyone to do anything crazy by adding another school.

how are you going to do the MVC tournament then? Schools are not going to accept one team not getting to go.

Hey bud...do we not already have a 8-9 play in game? Geez almightly

All u have to look to is baseball and how they have handled odd number of schools which was not well.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby carrcar » December 24th, 2012, 6:40 pm

unipanther99 wrote:I'll stand by my earlier suggestion that if (and its a big if) North Dakota State can expand our current TV package to Fox Sports North, they would make a solid addition. They have a rabid fan base with deep pockets and tons of potential. Some of their fans are annoying as hell, but consider who they would be replacing. ;)

I would love to see NDSU and SDSU get in the mix somehow...excellent facilities.
carrcar
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Haha » December 24th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
All u have to look to is baseball and how they have handled odd number of schools which was not well.

Um no, baseball is double elimination so I don't really need to look to that.

Also again and hopefully you read slowly, the MVC already has an 8-9 play in game so your argument has holds ZERO water.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » December 24th, 2012, 8:53 pm

For any single elimination subtract the largest power of 2 that's smaller than the number of entries. That's the number of preliminaries you have. 9 - 8 =1. There would be 1 Thursday game instead of 2. The current lineup works exactly the same 10 - 8 = 2 Thursday games.

So, when the NCAA expands their tournament to 113 teams, there would be 49 preliminaries. (113-64 = 49).

Speaking of baseball, SDSU and NDSU present some problems if they field baseball teams. We'd have to wait for the glacial retreat in May to schedule games up there. Once the glaciers retreat, South Dakota floods.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » December 24th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Haha wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

Um no, baseball is double elimination so I don't really need to look to that.

Also again and hopefully you read slowly, the MVC already has an 8-9 play in game so your argument has holds ZERO water.

I'm telling u that u are thinking logically. There will be schools complaining that that format rewards the No 1 seed unfairly. Also it will mean lower rpi for the league, as that extra non- conference game will mean that most teams will schedule the least costly alternative (which means a MSU equivalent rpi school).
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocker3 » December 25th, 2012, 10:58 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:As a sign of league unity and solidarity I think we should avoid scheduling CU if this happens.

I am reminded of the great Kim Mulkey quote when asked about Baylor continuing to play Texas Aggie:

"My feeling is this: If a man wants to divorce me and says our relationship has no value to him, and then asks me if he can sleep with me, the answer is NO!"

If Creighton wants to leave, no one is stopping you. But there are repurcussions if you choose to do so.

Could Missouri State please boycott playing WSU this year, please? Replacing your games with a non-division 1 opponent would be much better for our RPI.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball