MVC Bids

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

MVC Bids

Postby Heinro » December 28th, 2012, 3:20 am

After a shaky and disappointing start to the season the Valley has seemed to rebound a bit. Most brackets, http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm, have 3 teams getting in from the Valley. CU seems almost locked at this point; WSU is locked if we can survive the next month with injuries. ISUr despite some missed opportunities that would have them in lock position is once again in decent shape. ISUb will need an excellent conference season but the last week kept their hopes alive. If 3 of those 4 can run away with it and another win in the Valley tourney we may sneak into 4 bids. Thoughts?

:Valley:
Thoughts and prayers to WSU finding a new conference.
Heinro
MVC starter
MVC starter

MVC Bids

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC Bids

Postby musiccitybulldog » December 28th, 2012, 6:05 am

It will be interesting to see how drastic standings will change with as little as 3 conference games.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuShockNation » December 28th, 2012, 9:47 am

they are in good shape until we all beat each other up in conference play, which seems to happen every year
WuShockNation
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby isumvc1 » December 28th, 2012, 10:08 am

seems the MVC will have a better chance to get 3-4 teams in IF the top 3-4 teams can separate from the other 6 teams. If we get a bunch of 9-9 teams like last season that will minimize bids. So here's to hoping the top 3-4 teams can all get 12 wins in MVC play.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » December 28th, 2012, 10:32 am

isumvc1 wrote:seems the MVC will have a better chance to get 3-4 teams in IF the top 3-4 teams can separate from the other 6 teams. If we get a bunch of 9-9 teams like last season that will minimize bids. So here's to hoping the top 3-4 teams can all get 12 wins in MVC play.

Agree. There needs to be a separation of 2-3 three teams at the top to garner soldi at-large chances (locks) for those teams. If it is only 2 teams that break away like last year, then it will be only two. I am not sure that 4 can break away and still garner that strong of an at-large chance. A 4th bid is possible if someone other than the breakaways win in STL, but that 4th bid would be take away from a 4th team in a 4-team breakaway.

Most likely 2 bids with a good outside chance at a 3rd (say 65/35). Unlikely only 1 bid or 4 bids.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 28th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Best bet for three bids is for CU, Ill St, and WSU to each go 14-0 against the field and then have either UNI or Ind St to go 12-0 against the field to get one more team in the top 100 RPI. Then, a 4th or lower team wins in St. Louis. That would get us to 4 teams. I don't think more than one team will go 14-0 against the 4th through 10th place teams however. The MVC will get the auto bid and one or two at-large teams this year.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » December 28th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Wufan wrote:Best bet for three bids is for CU, Ill St, and WSU to each go 14-0 against the field and then have either UNI or Ind St to go 12-0 against the field to get one more team in the top 100 RPI. Then, a 4th or lower team wins in St. Louis. That would get us to 4 teams. I don't think more than one team will go 14-0 against the 4th through 10th place teams however. The MVC will get the auto bid and one or two at-large teams this year.

Valley history would suggest that no team will run the table against the field. Every top 4 team will have at least 1 bad loss this year. That is simply how the Valley works.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » December 28th, 2012, 12:28 pm

I agree with Khan. The trick is going to be keeping teams in the ratings even though some intra-conferences losses happen, if that is possible.
My hope is overall conference respect has grown.
I beleive the conference is so competitive, the beating up on each other will happen like never before. I think it could easily be one of those years when the perceived conference leaders changes drastically through the year.

If Creighton has a great year and the rest beat up on each other as I suspect, its possible for a 2 bid, if there is a different tourney winner. No doubt Creighton has the edge, can they always win on the road and not allow upsets at home?
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » December 28th, 2012, 2:57 pm

The trick is for the top 4 teams to avoid losing to MSU, that will crater your RPI.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » December 28th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Jet915 wrote:The trick is for the top 4 teams to avoid losing to MSU, that will crater your RPI.

Simply playing MSU will crater your RPI! A loss costs the same whether it's against CU or MSU except you should beat MSU.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball