MVC Bids

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Bids

Postby cu8493 » December 29th, 2012, 11:33 am

I don't care what the RPI says, no MVC team with 6 or 7 losses is going to get an at large bid, period. Creighton with 6 losses or WSU with 6 or 7 losses means that each was either swept by two teams and also lost to 2 other teams that are not in the top 1/3 of the league and/or if not swept by someone, then lost somewhere to at least 2 teams that are in the bottom 5 or 6 in the league.

Sure a .500 record in a BCS conference is often good enough to get in, but how many times has a non-BCS team had more then 3, maybe 4 league losses and gotten an at-large birth. I haven't done the research, but I bet there aren't many. The only exceptions I could fathom is if a non-BCS league ends up in the top 5 in RPI, which is not going to be the case for the MVC this year.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » December 29th, 2012, 11:49 am

pafan wrote:Look at the sky-high RPI of the Mountain West ... #2, behind the B1G.

Now look at the MVC's record in the MVC-MWC challenge, and think of what could have been. :Violin:

It's the moral victories my friend....
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » December 29th, 2012, 12:10 pm

cu8493 wrote:I don't care what the RPI says, no MVC team with 6 or 7 losses is going to get an at large bid, period. Creighton with 6 losses or WSU with 6 or 7 losses means that each was either swept by two teams and also lost to 2 other teams that are not in the top 1/3 of the league and/or if not swept by someone, then lost somewhere to at least 2 teams that are in the bottom 5 or 6 in the league.

Sure a .500 record in a BCS conference is often good enough to get in, but how many times has a non-BCS team had more then 3, maybe 4 league losses and gotten an at-large birth. I haven't done the research, but I bet there aren't many. The only exceptions I could fathom is if a non-BCS league ends up in the top 5 in RPI, which is not going to be the case for the MVC this year.

Why do people continue to make statements like this? It HAS happened many times in the past for mid-majors, including several times within our own conference.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 29th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:RPI's and SOS for all 10 teams prior to conference play starting, from Warrennolan

WSU 13 66
CU 16 40
ISUr 43 60
ISUb 51 35
UNI 109 46
UE 158 140
SIU 161 308
BU 179 276
DU 181 139
MSU 332 194

MVC's conference RPI moved into 8th place barely in front of the SEC, though it has been pointed out on here in another thread that that is not likely to hold. Most other conferences still have a handful of non-conference games prior to starting conference play after New Year's.

Interesting that with all of the discussion about how difficult UNI's noncon schedule was from certain posters, both Creighton and Indiana st have stronger SOS numbers.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby usmcsaluki » December 29th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Four teams isn't going to happen this year; this isn't 2006. Best case scenario will be two at larges and someone sneaking the autobid.
usmcsaluki
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 29th, 2012, 1:54 pm

usmcsaluki wrote:Four teams isn't going to happen this year; this isn't 2006. Best case scenario will be two at larges and someone sneaking the autobid.

I agree with this and that is part of the reason i think UNI is in big trouble. If you were to even pick three teams right now, InSU actually has a better resume.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » December 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

valleychamp wrote:
Why do people continue to make statements like this? It HAS happened many times in the past for mid-majors, including several times within our own conference.

It has happened in the past. However, this year isn't 2006 either. It's just not in the cards Panther fans.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » December 29th, 2012, 1:58 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I agree with this and that is part of the reason i think UNI is in big trouble. If you were to even pick three teams right now, InSU actually has a better resume.

I agree with this. Indiana State is in MUCH better position resume wise than UNI.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » December 29th, 2012, 4:25 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I agree with this and that is part of the reason i think UNI is in big trouble. If you were to even pick three teams right now, InSU actually has a better resume.

shoxrox wrote:I agree with this. Indiana State is in MUCH better position resume wise than UNI.

Their resume is marginally better, on the basis that they have 1 less loss than UNI and that their two good wins (Miami and Miss) are a little better than UNI's two good wins (SMC and GMU). But UNI doesn't have a bad loss like ISU does either (morehead st). They are very similar.

To say it is "MUCH better" is an exaggeration to say the least.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » December 29th, 2012, 4:35 pm

shoxrox wrote:
valleychamp wrote:

It has happened in the past. However, this year isn't 2006 either. It's just not in the cards Panther fans.

It doesn't have to be 2006. 2006 was clearly an outlier. It doesn't have to be a '06-like season for the MVC to get 2-3 bids.

I don't know why you continue to throw "its not in the cards Panther fans"-like statements in response to my posts. I didn't even bring UNI up in this thread. I have simply pointed out possible scenarios where a team (like UNI) could make a run, and pointed out similar situations from past tournaments both from within our conference and from other mid-major conferences of teams doing so.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball