UNI at Wichita State 5pm MVC TV

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI at Wichita State 5pm MVC TV

Postby shoxrox » January 1st, 2013, 12:34 am

Kyle wrote:LOL

While we're playing detective, you wouldn't happen to be a certain WSU poster trying to disguise yourself as someone other than a large D-Bag? Because interestingly, a clown by the name of WSUBaller posted on Panther Nation yesterday complaining about said UNI poster.

And his slam on JUCO's has nothing to do with comparing talent. UNI doesn't reduce it's academic standards just to gain an athletic edge. There is a reason high level talent goes the JUCO route, and it's not because they are exceptional students. We took a risk on a high level JUCO player this year, and he is no longer on the team for reasons other than athletic ability. Had he been at a different school with different standards, he might be seeing the floor.

Look, I personally don't care how WSU runs its athletic department and I recognize college sports is big business, but some people don't feel this way. Some people put a lot of emphasis in the student part of student athlete. When they see roster full of elite players who didn't choose WSU out of high school, it raises a few red flags and some might roll their eyes a bit.

Who would have thought that only 24 hours later, after the depression had set in, that UNI fans would be back dropping LOL's and resorting to excuses to slam the team that railroaded their Panthers by 25 minus 3 starters?

Northern Iowa Teacher's College is hardly a standard for academic excellence. So let's get off that high horse right now. I love how now UNI fans are making excuses regarding academic standards after their program has seemingly hit a peak 2 years ago and is now trailing off into the sunset. Creighton has high academic stipulations. They don't use that as an excuse. They simply get guys who fit at Creighton and can play good basketball. Hasn't held that program or any other academic-strict program back from being successful. And now putting Northern Iowa into that same mold is just laughable.

But not only that, now you're criticizing the way teams are beating you down. So because WSU wins with some JUCO's means what exactly? That your 25 point loss doesn't look as bad or that WSU doesn't look as good? Just because you can't get those type of players into the Harvard of the Midwest, the University of Northern Iowa, really doesn't give you a reason to bash them. As far as I know, the players are graduating, maintaining good GPA's, never get into trouble with the law, and as 1972Shocker mentioned, are well-spoken, fine, young men. There are some dumb basketball players out there that you wouldn't sniff the W-2's their pulling in, in a lifetime, with a degree from the heralded Northern Iowa University.

Has Northern Iowa ever had a JUCO come through the program? I, for one, hope not. That would be a disgrace to the university.

Enough with the excuses. WSU is winning 25 games a year with some JUCO's. UNI is flat-lining with Academic All-Americans. If athletics aren't that important to you, maybe you should visit a more educationally friendly board where scientific polls are taken and GPA threads are created.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby iSASO » January 1st, 2013, 12:56 am

UNI fans, while it is entertaining, I encourage you to put down the shovels. You are embarrassing yourselves and your blue-chip academic outcomes. Is it rational to even put those words in the same sentence?

It's like the team that gets the score run up on them and complains about it. Stop whining and do something to stop it. You will get no charity. We save all that for Creighton.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 1st, 2013, 9:48 am

moshock wrote:I've seen a couple of UNI's games this season. I can't say that Koch is giving a very good or even a good effort. He's 6'9" and got 1 lousy rebound last nite. For the love of......His brother was a stud - I'm probably expecting too much.

WSU punched UNI in the nose early in the first half and UNI quit. I went in to the game thinking UNI was a good team. They may be - but last nite they were quitters.

I don't think anyone is saying he is near as good as his brother. I have watched us play every game this year. I watched the majority of them last year, and every year for Jake's entire career. His effort this year is so much improved you wouldn't believe it. Against WSU he did not give much effort, but no one on our team did. You mention 1 rebound, but we only had 22 total rebounds and our leader had 4. This is just plain awful. Right now there is some talent on this team, but it isn't abundant like it used to be or we thought it was going to be.

This team is maddening because you can see flashes in games like St. Mary's and George Mason where we look amazing. Then you see games like WSU and UNLV and you think they will never win another game. We are apparently just a middle of the road team. Consistency would be nice, but I just hope if we become consistent it isn't the team that was in Wichita.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby C0|db|00ded » January 1st, 2013, 11:03 am

Kyle wrote:While we're playing detective, you wouldn't happen to be a certain WSU poster trying to disguise yourself as someone other than a large D-Bag? Because interestingly, a clown by the name of WSUBaller posted on Panther Nation yesterday complaining about said UNI poster.

If what you say is true, let me apologize on behalf of said Shocker poster. The thought of one of our fans knowing how to find an N.I.U. message board, let alone taking the time to register and post, makes my skin crawl. Know this, I will do my best to discourage Shocker fans from posting on your message board in the future.

Shocker fans... you know better.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 1st, 2013, 11:06 am

For any UNI fan (not all) that is trying to say that Marshall recruits bad students or bad people, and Jacobson is above that, please don't let the facts get in the way.

In the six years that Marshall has been at WSU, no player has ever been in legal trouble or trouble at school. No player has been dismissed for academic reasons.

There are 15 players on the current roster. Only 7 players signed with WSU out of high school. One player signed with a different school and decided to transfer to WSU prior to his freshman year. That's 8 players that would get into UNI. 7 players attended a JUCO. Orukpe, Lufile and Coleby were foreign and did not have the proper transcripts to attend a D-I school. Orukpe is an honor student out of JUCO. The other two proved they were capable students. Wiggins, Early and Armstead were all qualifiers out of high school and could have attended Baylor, Stanford or Iowa (all of which recruited them) but aren't good enough to be bike stealing Panthers. Carl Hall was a qualifier and was admitted to an FCS school to play football out of high school, but due to his heart condition he quit and played JUCO in order to be re-recruited for basketball.

Basically, had UNI recognized these players and had the resources to recruit them, all (except the foreign students) COULD have played at UNI out of high school, but chose not to.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 1st, 2013, 11:09 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:You mention 1 rebound, but we only had 22 total rebounds and our leader had 4. This is just plain awful.

There were 7 rebounds that went out of bounds off of a WSU player and were counted as "team rebounds" so it might be more accurate to say that WSU was the leading UNI rebounder, with 7, while the rest of the Panthers had 15…one more than the WSU starting guards.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 1st, 2013, 1:05 pm

Wufan wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:You mention 1 rebound, but we only had 22 total rebounds and our leader had 4. This is just plain awful.

There were 7 rebounds that went out of bounds off of a WSU player and were counted as "team rebounds" so it might be more accurate to say that WSU was the leading UNI rebounder, with 7, while the rest of the Panthers had 15…one more than the WSU starting guards.

An interesting point.

Five.

Mi Dios.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball