UNI at Wichita State 5pm MVC TV

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI at Wichita State 5pm MVC TV

Postby getreal4 » December 31st, 2012, 12:38 pm

The toughness of the Shox is a great attribute in today's soft college basketball world. Great job of recruiting players with toughness trait by Marshall.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby KingTut » December 31st, 2012, 1:40 pm

Is there a worse color guy out there than Mark Adams? If all they need is somebody to recite all the stats in the WSU and MVC media releases, I'm sure they can find someone cheaper at the neighborhood bar.

Between that and his total lack of analysis, he's just awful. I believe the most insightful thing he said was something along the lines of the Shockers 'taking it to the Panthers.'

Please tell me that guy isn't doing too many more MVC games.

This is the guy who said on Twitter after SIU's not-so-terrible start to MVC play last year that the Salukis were gonna be a surprise team. He must have meant a surprise to not finish 10th.
KingTut
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BCPanther » December 31st, 2012, 2:12 pm

Mark Adams is now the Valley's number one voice. I actually don't mind him, he's a great cheerleader for the league.

John Rooney on the other hand is atrocious. Just horrible. I know he's close and probably cheap, but we could do better. A lot better. We need to convince Mitch Holtus that he needs to give up the Big XII gig and come back as the Number one...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » December 31st, 2012, 2:26 pm

shock wrote:Oh, okay. If I were the second best coach in the valley, I would give up coming out of the locker room too.

Based on the pissed off look in his eyes and the fact all five starters were benched at the same time, I'm guessing coach Jake was trying to send a very clear message to his starters.

Or maybe he just thought our walk on Max Martino really gave us the best shot of winning alongside secret weapon, "Mr. 12" man Matt Morison, who recorded record minutes.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » December 31st, 2012, 2:36 pm

I have never seen Jake so visibly pissed. He was livid with the effort, especially James and Mitchell, and you could see it on his face.

For me right now, Marc Sonnen is the only starter giving max effort...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 31st, 2012, 3:28 pm

BCPanther wrote:I have never seen Jake so visibly pissed. He was livid with the effort, especially James and Mitchell, and you could see it on his face.

I somewhat agree, but I think Jake Koch is giving a very good effort every game too. I have seen less and less pouty Koch this year. Right now AJ and Mitchell are trying to hard I think. They seemed to have regressed. Tuttle is just very up and down. Some games you see last year's FOY, and some games you see a dude who has no business in DI basketball.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » December 31st, 2012, 3:41 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:I have never seen Jake so visibly pissed. He was livid with the effort, especially James and Mitchell, and you could see it on his face.

I somewhat agree, but I think Jake Koch is giving a very good effort every game too. I have seen less and less pouty Koch this year. Right now AJ and Mitchell are trying to hard I think. They seemed to have regressed. Tuttle is just very up and down. Some games you see last year's FOY, and some games you see a dude who has no business in DI basketball.

To be brutally honest, I have seen enough of AJ. The promise he had two years ago just seems to have vanished. He's turned into a selfish player and a guy that is incapable of making good shot choices. He was a terrific on-ball defender and that is gone If I see him dribble down 1 on 3 and shoot another 18 footer I am going to lose it. My dad and I were watching the game together last night and both literally laughed out loud when they flashed his picture on a Player of the Year graphic....

You're absolutely right on Koch. He's played hard and been incredibly effective, save last night, but that really wasn't his fault...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 31st, 2012, 5:04 pm

This is what I think about the Cats as follows:

1. This version of the Cats was nothing like I knew or expected. I am almost stunned that the Shocks won by 25.
2. Lack of athleticism is a problem. Too many white guys.
3. Any team can have a bad day at the office and this game was it for the Cats.
4. It seemed like the Shocks ended up with every loose ball.
5. The Cats were pretty loose in taking care of the ball.
6. The Cats rebounding could not have been much worse.
7. 3/17 from 3 is so atypical for the Cats. Prior to the Shocker game, the Cats were making 37.1% from 3. In the Shocker game, the Cats made 17.6%.
8. I thought the Cats got a bad whistle from time to time. There was one non-call, where Armstead grabbed the wrist of the Cat player and refs let it go. There were others.

So if you take a little bit from each of the line items above, it leads to a 25 point loss.

I think it is way too early to write off the Cats.

They are going to continue to do what they do best. Crank the clock. Run the set over and over. Minimal turnovers. Minimal fouls. Excellent free throw makes. Above average 3 ball makes and tough defense.

The Cats had a bad game. All teams have bad games.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby moshock » December 31st, 2012, 5:29 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:

I somewhat agree, but I think Jake Koch is giving a very good effort every game too. I have seen less and less pouty Koch this year.

I've seen a couple of UNI's games this season. I can't say that Koch is giving a very good or even a good effort. He's 6'9" and got 1 lousy rebound last nite. For the love of......His brother was a stud - I'm probably expecting too much.

WSU punched UNI in the nose early in the first half and UNI quit. I went in to the game thinking UNI was a good team. They may be - but last nite they were quitters.
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 31st, 2012, 5:39 pm

moshock wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:

I somewhat agree, but I think Jake Koch is giving a very good effort every game too. I have seen less and less pouty Koch this year.

I've seen a couple of UNI's games this season. I can't say that Koch is giving a very good or even a good effort. He's 6'9" and got 1 lousy rebound last nite. For the love of......His brother was a stud - I'm probably expecting too much.

WSU punched UNI in the nose early in the first half and UNI quit. I went in to the game thinking UNI was a good team. They may be - but last nite they were quitters.

Jake Koch is probably my least favorite player in the league. He cannot carry his brother's jock.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball