UNI at Wichita State 5pm MVC TV

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI at Wichita State 5pm MVC TV

Postby C0|db|00ded » December 31st, 2012, 5:52 pm

N.I.U. is the same N.I.U. I have been watching for as long as I care to remember. Very white, very slow, and very unathletic. Over the years they have been mind-boggling effective against us in spite of the severe physical disadvantage they suffered (I think KU can appreciate this maddening mystery). Last night everything seemed right in the world of college athletics. Big athletic team hammers smaller, unathletic team.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » December 31st, 2012, 5:55 pm

Yep.

JUCO U beat us last night. We get another shot in Cedar Falls in February and hopefully our heads will be out of our rear ends.

Also, remind me how many NCAA tournament games Gregggggggggg Marshall has won?? He should be fairly successful being as those games are all played on a neutral court...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 1972Shocker » December 31st, 2012, 6:06 pm

UNI had a bad game. Maybe their worst game of the year. A lot of credit for that goes to the 40 minutes of grinding intensity the Shocks brought to the floor last night. The Shocks played one of their best and most complete games of the year and certainly their best game since Carl Hall and Ron Baker went down.

The result wasn't pretty for UNI but I think they are a much better team then they showed last night and I think they will bounce back with a good game against Indiana State at home.

The last two games the Shocks actually were down to 8 players for all of the Southern Miss game and for the second half the UNI game. Hopefully Chadrack Lufile makes a quick recovery from whatever was ailing his back last night ala Jake White who missed the Southern Miss game with back spasms but played his best game of the year last night vs UNI.

I think the 9 Shocks still standing (or maybe its 8 now depending on Lufile's situation) are loving them some 3G Kool-Aid and have really bought into the notion that to be successful they must defend and rebound with as much effort and intensity as they can bring to bear. How long and how consistently the Shocks can sustain that kind of effort remains to be seen. There is not much, if any, margin for error left for any additional injuries or illness.
1972Shocker
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » December 31st, 2012, 6:07 pm

HCGM has 8 appearances and 1 win. Ben Jacobson has 2 appearances and 2 wins.

I was not aware of the stringent academic standards at UNI. WSU has a good team GPA and zero legal problems under Marshall. I am surprised to learn that players with such high academic achievement steal children's bicycles in the offseason and garner a three game suspension while WSUs lowly JUCOs get a one game suspension for skipping class.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 1972Shocker » December 31st, 2012, 6:37 pm

We don't have a lot of academic history with Juco transfers Cleanthony Early, Chadrack Lufile and NIck Wiggins but all three are very well-spoken young men who seem to have their heads solidly on their shoulders.

Our 4th Juco transfer Ehimen Orupke however probably would not be able to get into such a prestigious academic institution as UNI. He is majoring in math with a minor in business admistration, so he obviously has elected to take the easiest route available to him which accounts for him being on the AD's honor roll in all 4 of his previous semester's at Wichita State and for being an honorable mention on the 2012 MVC Scholar-Athlete Team.

No these young men may not be good enough for the likes of UNI but I am very proud to have them as part of the Shocker family and I would take 4 more exactly like them any day.
1972Shocker
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Haha » December 31st, 2012, 7:22 pm

BCPanther wrote:Yep.

JUCO U beat us last night. We get another shot in Cedar Falls in February and hopefully our heads will be out of our rear ends.

Also, remind me how many NCAA tournament games Gregggggggggg Marshall has won?? He should be fairly successful being as those games are all played on a neutral court...

all I can do is laugh
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » December 31st, 2012, 7:43 pm

IAMUNI would not have gotten beat by 25 if they weren't quitters!
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » December 31st, 2012, 8:03 pm

Way to let one guy get to you. You weren't the Panther clown that signed up on Shockernet and tried to disguise himself as a Shocker fan, were you? Because interestingly, that clown came with the same angle with the NCAA Tournament line (which is 1 by the way, not zero, and has what exactly to do with last night's game besides making you feel better?)

And I don't really get the slam on JUCO's. Some of WSU's best and most talented players lately have gone through the JUCO route. The same JUCO players that have owned the Panthers for 4 straight games. The JUCO that lit UNI up last night for 16, etc. I guess if you're gonna slam the JUCO angle, you might want to make sure your team is capable of actually beating those JUCO's.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » December 31st, 2012, 10:55 pm

After a 25-point beatdown (that could have been 35 or 40 if Marshall hadn't put the Shox in dribble and pass for 30 seconds mode with 4 minutes left), there's a UNI fan talking smack????

We spotted you 3 starters and one deep bench sub for the second half and still kicked your ass so bad that to do anything more, we would have had to pull the spark plugs wires off your bus. And there's some (oops, had to erase that word - can't categorize posters that way here) that's wanting to talk smack.

Maybe Marshall hasn't won a lot of NCAA games, but I do notice that he's been putting 27 or 29 win teams on the court and he seems to be continuing that even after losing 5 seniors and 80% of the scoring and boards from last year. Meanwhile, UNI, who has a recent S16, has dropped down to 9-9 in the Valley and seems to be holding at that level.

How does it feel to have a coach (who isn't going to leave) who has taken your team from a S16 to a mid-level Valley team that's unlikely to sniff the NIT in the forseeable future?
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » January 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

shoxrox wrote:Way to let one guy get to you. You weren't the Panther clown that signed up on Shockernet and tried to disguise himself as a Shocker fan, were you? Because interestingly, that clown came with the same angle with the NCAA Tournament line (which is 1 by the way, not zero, and has what exactly to do with last night's game besides making you feel better?)

And I don't really get the slam on JUCO's. Some of WSU's best and most talented players lately have gone through the JUCO route. The same JUCO players that have owned the Panthers for 4 straight games. The JUCO that lit UNI up last night for 16, etc. I guess if you're gonna slam the JUCO angle, you might want to make sure your team is capable of actually beating those JUCO's.

LOL

While we're playing detective, you wouldn't happen to be a certain WSU poster trying to disguise yourself as someone other than a large D-Bag? Because interestingly, a clown by the name of WSUBaller posted on Panther Nation yesterday complaining about said UNI poster.

And his slam on JUCO's has nothing to do with comparing talent. UNI doesn't reduce it's academic standards just to gain an athletic edge. There is a reason high level talent goes the JUCO route, and it's not because they are exceptional students. We took a risk on a high level JUCO player this year, and he is no longer on the team for reasons other than athletic ability. Had he been at a different school with different standards, he might be seeing the floor.

Look, I personally don't care how WSU runs its athletic department and I recognize college sports is big business, but some people don't feel this way. Some people put a lot of emphasis in the student part of student athlete. When they see roster full of elite players who didn't choose WSU out of high school, it raises a few red flags and some might roll their eyes a bit.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball