Salukis @ MSU Bears 5:30 PM 12/30

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Salukis @ MSU Bears 5:30 PM 12/30

Postby Jet915 » December 30th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Congrats on joining the D1 Victory Club!
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bleach » December 30th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Jet915 wrote:Congrats on joining the D1 Victory Club!

Really didn't think we had it in us but then again, we do play Barry again this year.....could get a second one!
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » December 30th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Barry says Dantiel Daniels will probably be out for a little while with an ankle sprain. Sure didn't help the Salukis tonight.

EDIT: Also, "I'm not going to lie to you, Mike. This one hurt ... A lot of pressure on our players, a lot of pressure on me and we had to get this one out of the way"
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby glm38 » December 30th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Its only one game but it sure is nice to get a D1 win. Thought we played well. Its amazing how much better things go when you hit open shots and your FT's. We 'll see if we can keep it up on the road.

For those expecting and predicting drama involving Barry there was absolutely none at the game. Polite applause when he walked in and louder applause when he was introduced. From where I was sitting I didn't hear a single boo or untoward remark. Thought Barry coached a good game. The zone he threw at us really got them back in the game.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kip Dynamite » December 30th, 2012, 8:27 pm

EDIT: Also, "I'm not going to lie to you, Mike. This one hurt ... A lot of pressure on our players, a lot of pressure on me and we had to get this one out of the way"[/quote]

Yeah, that's the same thing he said right after he took over MSU's program and we played against his former team ORU. They kicked the Bears head in that night. Then he so eliquently went on to say to our play by play announcer, "There are not many games you really want to win Art, but this was one of them."

SIU fans better get used to it because it's going to happen alot more over the years with BH at the helm.
Kip Dynamite
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » December 30th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Post game press conference from this game. Good stuff from Barry at about 14:00 and 16:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qNEe7Me9Jk
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » December 30th, 2012, 11:12 pm

While not completely shocked being it was a Valley road game for SIU, I'm a bit complexed about this result. The good news for the Bears is that their RPI may jump about 20 or 30 spots to around 300.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » December 31st, 2012, 7:29 am

I still don't know who that team was
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » December 31st, 2012, 7:45 am

Lusk has been holding back all season in order to unleash his offensive schemes on Barruh
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » December 31st, 2012, 8:46 am

Hey we are 1-0. All of you folks who thought we'd be historically bad and go 0-18 can go take a hike.

All year I have been critical of this team. I have questioned their heart, intelligence, as well as their overall basketball acumen. I have at times cursed their decision to pursue a career in college basketball, cursed their parents at points for their decisions to procreate at times, and also cursed their HS coaches for failing to instill fundamentals in them. Last night it all came together. I was so very, very proud of them.

As a point of pride we had about 7500 in attendance last night for "one of the worst teams in all college basketball." If that doesn't evidence the passion and deep resolve of our fanbase then I don't know what will. The crowd helped will them to the win last night. I am proud of my compatriots in the stands as well.

As for the game I think if this Bears team catches breaks it could still win 6-9 Valley games. I remember Scheer shooting like that in leading St. Francis Borgia to the state Final Four. I felt like he would end up with a game similar to Nate Funk in the end. He won't do that but he could actually turn into an asset rather than his presence on the court creating a 6 on 4 for the opposition.

After last night I think Lusk is back. No inside info, just my gut. The only way he would be out is if we finished at something like 2-16 or worse and that is not likely to happen now.

Great to see Barry Hinson get that reaction. He looked very dapper last night and is a truly great man. Can you imagine a former HC getting that sort of reaction at many other Valley schools? Me neither.

In the end we are still limited. This is still going to be a struggle. But last night was a great, great night.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball