3 Valley teams in Top 35 RPI

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby FearDaTrees » December 31st, 2012, 9:58 am

Creighton- 12-1 RPI 17 SOS 44
Wichita St- 12-1 RPI 18 SOS 90
Indiana St- 8-4 RPI 31 SOS 21

As of last night, the Valley was 8th overall in RPI.
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 3 Valley teams in Top 35 RPI

Postby MoValley John » December 31st, 2012, 2:10 pm

It's time for this week's rankings. MVCFans must be asleep at the switch. That, or turning over the reigns to DUBulldog, combined with his Newfound hobby of trying to develop a syndicated Valley radio show is just too much to get done, along with some abstract, unscientific rundown of first to ten list. That said, I'll give my one through ten here, as this thread is as good as any. Anyway, the trees are really beginning to gel, have a good record, nice RPI and mostly, a healthy Odum. They jump to third. Here goes.

T-1. Wichita State, Creighton
Both are the class of the Valley, have the best athletes, but win in very different ways. Also, both teams are lots of fun to watch.
3. Indiana State. See above.
4. Illinois State. If they beat the Trees yesterday, they would be 3rd. I don't discount the Redbirds much, though, the loss was on the road and they got down big early. They damn near pulled off the win. Winning on the road is tough, even in a near empty arena.
5. UNI. Got throttled by Wichita State, but Wichita State is who we thought they were. Jacobson has a system, is a salty coach and this setback will soon be forgotten.
6. Bradley. Still young and not very deep, but Genome has the boys playing good ball.
T-7. Drake, Evansville. It's a pick'em. Drake has the players, Evansville has Colt and not much else. If Phelps would just get out of the way and let his kids play, Drake is alone in 7th, maybe 6th. Coaching is killing an otherwise good group of players. If Drake had Simmons, they would be 4th. If E'Ville had Phelps, even with Colt, they'd be in the cellar.
9. SIU. Even though they lost, they lost on the road. As I said above, winning on the road is tough in the Valley.
10. Missouri State. They may get their mojo after a big win over the other Valley doormat, but it was a home game and I still haven't gotten over watching that embarrassing loss to a SWAC team on ESPN3. Not out of the cellar yet
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » December 31st, 2012, 2:16 pm

MoValley John wrote:It's time for this week's rankings. MVCFans must be asleep at the switch. That, or turning over the reigns to DUBulldog, combined with his Newfound hobby of trying to develop a syndicated Valley radio show is just too much to get done, along with some abstract, unscientific rundown of first to ten list. That said, I'll give my one through ten here, as this thread is as good as any. Anyway, the trees are really beginning to gel, have a good record, nice RPI and mostly, a healthy Odum. They jump to third. Here goes.

Both are the class of the Valley, have the best athletes, but win in very different ways. Also, both teams are lots of fun to watch.
4. Illinois State. If they beat the Trees yesterday, they would be 3rd. I don't discount the Redbirds much, though, the loss was on the road and they got down big early. They damn near pulled off the win. Winning on the road is tough, even in a near empty arena.
5. UNI. Got throttled by Wichita State, but Wichita State is who we thought they were. Jacobson has a system, is a salty coach and this setback will soon be forgotten.
6. Bradley. Still young and not very deep, but Genome has the boys playing good ball.
T-7. Drake, Evansville. It's a pick'em. Drake has the players, Evansville has Colt and not much else. If Phelps would just get out of the way and let his kids play, Drake is alone in 7th, maybe 6th. Coaching is killing an otherwise good group of players. If Drake had Simmons, they would be 4th. If E'Ville had Phelps, even with Colt, they'd be in the cellar.
9. SIU. Even though they lost, they lost on the road. As I said above, winning on the road is tough in the Valley.
10. Missouri State. They may get their mojo after a big win over the other Valley doormat, but it was a home game and I still haven't gotten over watching that embarrassing loss to a SWAC team on ESPN3. Not out of the cellar yet

Spot on. That's really good analysis...

Well played, Sir. :Cheers:
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » December 31st, 2012, 2:30 pm

:+1:

Very well done MVJ!

Doubtful IMO that DUB would have done as well in as few of words... :roll:
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » December 31st, 2012, 3:20 pm

getreal4 wrote::+1:

Very well done MVJ!

Doubtful IMO that DUB would have done as well in as few of words... :roll:

Don't you have a Gary Garner poster that you should be staring at with a strange little smile on your face?

:Beer:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MVCfans » December 31st, 2012, 3:31 pm

MoValley John wrote:It's time for this week's rankings. MVCFans must be asleep at the switch. That, or turning over the reigns to DUBulldog, combined with his Newfound hobby of trying to develop a syndicated Valley radio show is just too much to get done, along with some abstract, unscientific rundown of first to ten list.

It's funny because I tweeted out my new 1-10 rankings last night. I started typing it up this morning then realized I just did it 2 days ago so I figured I might wait a week. I can post your astute observations on the main page if you like.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby cpacmel » December 31st, 2012, 4:41 pm

MoValley John wrote:6. Bradley. Still young and not very deep, but Genome has the boys playing good ball.

Not very deep indeed.

But young? Not so sure about that. They start 3 seniors (one who is starting his 6th year there) and 2 juniors. Their 2 top reserves are a redshirt JR (who started 24 games last year for them) and a soph (who started 5 games as a true freshman).
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby getreal4 » December 31st, 2012, 5:43 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
getreal4 wrote::+1:

Don't you have a Gary Garner poster that you should be staring at with a strange little smile on your face?

:Beer:

Can't smile about Drake BB currently. Way too much talent wasting away year after year under Phelps & SHC.

But yes, the shox players would make Garner proud!
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby C0|db|00ded » December 31st, 2012, 5:44 pm

MoValley John wrote:It's time for this week's rankings. MVCFans must be asleep at the switch. That, or turning over the reigns to DUBulldog, combined with his Newfound hobby of trying to develop a syndicated Valley radio show is just too much to get done, along with some abstract, unscientific rundown of first to ten list. That said, I'll give my one through ten here, as this thread is as good as any. Anyway, the trees are really beginning to gel, have a good record, nice RPI and mostly, a healthy Odum. They jump to third. Here goes.

BJ doesn't have athletes like WSU, in fact, BJ doesn't have athletes like Illinois State. BJ is a better version of N.I.U. with solid scorers, a legit center, and a Norman Rockwell Moment starring Chewbacca and his spawn.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » December 31st, 2012, 6:05 pm

MVJ, I know Indiana State isn't known for large and boisterous crowds but there were 5800+ in attendance yesterday at Hulman Center, which is over half full. Considering the Colts were on TV at the same time and students are away on break that isn't that bad for ISU. And if you watch the highlights I posted in the game thread it wasn't like the crowd was sitting on their hands. When ISU made a good play the cheered quite loudly. Not WSU or CU loud, but loud enough the players heard and appreciated it. Just making a point that it's not always like a morgue at ISU games. But I won't argue it can be pretty quiet some games
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball