An Explantion For WSU's Beating Expectations

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Aargh » December 31st, 2012, 11:32 pm

Marshall has been recruiting athletic players over BBIQ players ever since he got to WSU. I'm going to guess that his theory is that BBIQ can be taught to the right players, but you can't teach athleticism to those who have little.

Marshall has hit a stretch recently where he seems to be getting athletic guys with some BBIQ. He's had some huge misses by recruiting some great athletes who could never handle D1 ball.

A lot of MVC teams recruit great BBIQ guys who aren't that athletic. The athletes gaining BBIQ tend to improve more over their D1 careers than the less athletic guys who have great BBIQ coming out of HS.

Marshall's rep for handling JuCo's is so good that he can basically cherry-pick any JuCo AA that he needs to fill a weakness. We've got a freakishly athletic 6'7" JuCo coming in next year.

A big weakness for WSU over the last 3 or 4 years was dribble penetration. Marshall is bringing in players who stop that at the rim. That gives the perimeter defenders for WSU a lot of freedom to cut off passing lanes and go for steals.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: An Explantion For WSU's Beating Expectations

Postby Kyle » January 1st, 2013, 12:11 am

Cliff Notes:

Marshall will take any dumb jock he can find and every once in a while, it results in a pretty good basketball team.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » January 1st, 2013, 12:41 am

Kyle wrote:Cliff Notes:

Marshall will take any dumb jock he can find and every once in a while, it results in a pretty good basketball team.

Extra foot notes:

The Harvard of the Midwest at Cedar Falls can't now compete with a formula that has resulted in 4 consecutive losses to WSU.

Once in a while? My goodness are you grasping.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iSASO » January 1st, 2013, 1:02 am

Stop whining and do something about it or get the hell out of the conference. Play time is over.

It reminds me of why so many Valley fans and coaches hated Gene Stephenson and his baseball programs for 30 years. He forced them to get better, to be better, or to get slaughtered.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Deanthonybowdenfan » January 1st, 2013, 2:33 am

i agree , wsu recruits athletes, but in reality they dont recruit any better basketball players than isu or ill. st, and creighton definately recruits better than wichita, wichita is the most over-rated valley team , they always under-achieve???? NOOO , we always over -hype em, theyve never been that good and wont be any different this year
Deanthonybowdenfan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Haha » January 1st, 2013, 7:32 am

I'm loving this!!!
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby moshock » January 1st, 2013, 8:43 am

Deanthonybowden wrote:i agree , wsu recruits athletes, but in reality they dont recruit any better basketball players than isu or ill. st, and creighton definately recruits better than wichita, wichita is the most over-rated valley team , they always under-achieve???? NOOO , we always over -hype em, theyve never been that good and wont be any different this year

Dude - put down the crack pipe. WSU won the league last season and came in 2nd - twice in a row the years before that.

You are right about one thing - it won't be any different this year.
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jet915 » January 1st, 2013, 9:46 am

I applaud how well WSU is doing this year especially after the injuries but can someone tell me, did anyone on this board ask for this explanation? You would have had to know this would start some flaming.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » January 1st, 2013, 10:29 am

Jet915 wrote:I applaud how well WSU is doing this year especially after the injuries but can someone tell me, did anyone on this board ask for this explanation? You would have had to know this would start some flaming.

On behalf of Shocker Nation, I apologize that not every single thread on this board is about Creighton.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 1st, 2013, 11:12 am

Jet915 wrote:I applaud how well WSU is doing this year especially after the injuries but can someone tell me, did anyone on this board ask for this explanation? You would have had to know this would start some flaming.

True, but those "flames" were lies or just ignorant.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball