Will Egolf arrested

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Will Egolf arrested

Postby ptownbraves » January 1st, 2013, 1:30 pm

agrinut wrote:So we know that possession of marijuana and stealing a girls bicycle gets you 3 games, wonder what straight possession will get you?

He is being charged with a felony, so it is unlikely marijuana unless it's over 30 grams.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » January 1st, 2013, 1:39 pm

DUBulldog wrote:There is little difference between OxyContin, Vicodin, etc and Heroin...they are all opiate pain killers (while illegal in the US, Heroin is available by prescription in many countries). Same with Adderall and Meth....they're both amphetamines that have the same effect on your body.

There is little chemical difference in the drugs you mention. There is a HUGE actual difference in the drugs as Oxycotin et.al. are manufactured and purified in industrial labs by PhDs. Heroin/meth is cooked in garages by high school dropouts and cut with God knows what by gang-bangers.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 1st, 2013, 1:42 pm

Wufan wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:There is little difference between OxyContin, Vicodin, etc and Heroin...they are all opiate pain killers (while illegal in the US, Heroin is available by prescription in many countries). Same with Adderall and Meth....they're both amphetamines that have the same effect on your body.

There is little chemical difference in the drugs you mention. There is a HUGE actual difference in the drugs as Oxycotin et.al. are manufactured and purified in industrial labs by PhDs. Heroin/meth is cooked in garages by high school dropouts and cut with God knows what by gang-bangers.

That's an excellent point, and one that I had considered adding to my original post. With street drugs, you don't ever know what you're getting, or how potent it is if it's the real thing. I was just trying to point out that people are trying to get the same high whether it's from abuse of prescription drugs or street drugs.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tribecalledquest » January 1st, 2013, 2:11 pm

From my understanding glm38 was right.

I don't want to say too much as nothing is confirmed.

If it was a pain killing drug type situation then Bradley and Egolf can handle this appropriately.

Egolf admits to a problem. Egolf decides to no longer play basketball due to not only the arrest, but the physical pain involved and the subsequent addiction to pain killers. Bradley supports this and supports Egolf in treatment, etc.

If Egolf completes treatment and his debt to society he can become a valued member of the Bradley basketball "family" in the future.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 1st, 2013, 2:14 pm

It is starting to sound more and more like his career is over. Hope all works out for the best.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » January 1st, 2013, 10:34 pm

According to the PJstar, police found six pills of Vicodin in his car after patrolling an area with a recent string of burglaries and happened upon two parked cars with their parking lights on. Egolf told police he is taking Vicodin to manage pain in his knee from tearing his ACL last year. The dealer was also arrested.

It looks like he'll miss a minimum of four games given Bradley's Student-Athlete handbook, which states a drug related offense will result in a 10% minimum game suspension of scheduled games. This would include SIU, WSU, ISUb and UNI.

If he is seeking drugs from outside his rehab program for his knee, it sounds like there is a bigger issue here. I hope the University looks past basketball and makes the right decision here.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bcg » January 2nd, 2013, 7:43 am

Is it really that hard to get these painkillers? Any time I'm at the doctor's office, they are always offering to write a prescription for them.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ptownbraves » January 2nd, 2013, 8:18 am

bcg wrote:Is it really that hard to get these painkillers? Any time I'm at the doctor's office, they are always offering to write a prescription for them.

I can only speculate, but maybe team doctors stopped dispensing them and he was still feeling pain in his knee. I could see a University carefully controlling pain meds for college kids. Then maybe once the meds stopped and he still felt pain or got hooked when he was on them, he sought them out himself on the street. Purely speculation though.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 2nd, 2013, 8:46 am

ptownbraves wrote:
bcg wrote:Is it really that hard to get these painkillers? Any time I'm at the doctor's office, they are always offering to write a prescription for them.

I can only speculate, but maybe team doctors stopped dispensing them and he was still feeling pain in his knee. I could see a University carefully controlling pain meds for college kids. Then maybe once the meds stopped and he still felt pain or got hooked when he was on them, he sought them out himself on the street. Purely speculation though.

That seems to be the only reasonable explanation. When I first heard the story, I thought the exact same thing that bcg did. Getting a doc to prescribe pain meds is relatively easy in this society, especially when you've had two major knee surgeries.

One other possibility is that docs told him that if he had pain he should give up basketball, but he wanted to keep playing so he tried to hide it.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 2nd, 2013, 11:01 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:

That seems to be the only reasonable explanation. When I first heard the story, I thought the exact same thing that bcg did. Getting a doc to prescribe pain meds is relatively easy in this society, especially when you've had two major knee surgeries.

One other possibility is that docs told him that if he had pain he should give up basketball, but he wanted to keep playing so he tried to hide it.

Correct. Plus, if Egolf became addicted to them then the amount he was taking wasn't enough. His tolerance level had increased and he "needed" more to get the same result.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball