Drake vs WSU 1/2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Drake vs WSU 1/2

Postby getreal4 » January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
shocker3 wrote:I was shocked to see the small crowd. Box score says attendance was something like 2700. I remember when Drake used to pack the downtown arena (capacity 12000+ as I recall) for Valley games.

I'm sure they'll be at capacity against Creighton. They always are.

Yes, if the Jay's fans make the trek to Des Moines. Hard to find Drake fans willing to attend home games as evidenced by last night's attendance of 2792. Great opponent, nice winter evening, no weather concerns, nothing major on TV. Huge message to the Drake Admin that the SHC program is not working.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » January 3rd, 2013, 8:49 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
shocker3 wrote:I was shocked to see the small crowd. Box score says attendance was something like 2700. I remember when Drake used to pack the downtown arena (capacity 12000+ as I recall) for Valley games.

I'm sure they'll be at capacity against Creighton. They always are.

Only if you guys bring 4000 fans.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Drakey » January 3rd, 2013, 9:49 am

There were NOT 2700 fans there last night. I tried to estimate the crowd size based on capacity of each section, and 2000 would be the maximum number. Probably more like 1800.

Drake WAS a solid program and at one time did draw crowds of overe 10,000 routinely. Mistake after mistake after mistake has ended that.

Drake and Creighton were starting from about the same spot in the early to mid 90's, althougn I would argue that Drake had a better history as I don't think Creighton was drawing crowds like Drake in the 70's and 80's. Creightons plan seems to have beeen more effective.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby C0|db|00ded » January 3rd, 2013, 2:13 pm

Drakey wrote:There were NOT 2700 fans there last night. I tried to estimate the crowd size based on capacity of each section, and 2000 would be the maximum number. Probably more like 1800.

Drake WAS a solid program and at one time did draw crowds of overe 10,000 routinely. Mistake after mistake after mistake has ended that.

Drake and Creighton were starting from about the same spot in the early to mid 90's, althougn I would argue that Drake had a better history as I don't think Creighton was drawing crowds like Drake in the 70's and 80's. Creightons plan seems to have beeen more effective.

The solution to your problem is a simple one Drakey. Simply write a check to a new coach for $750,000.00 as well as give him access to a private jet for recruiting. That package will get you a top assistant (or BCS retread ala BJ) and your program should be competitive. If things really take off, renew his contract with a healthy pay raise. Drake has an outstanding business program and there should be enough wealthy alumni or Des Moines residents who would support a substantial "program improvement package".

Again, 750k is what is needed to hire a top assistant and turn things around for good. Hoping you get lucky by hiring on the cheap and then having the coach turn into something special is only going to have you back in the cellar a few years later when you are looking for yet another diamond in the rough. I would like to see Drake and Bradley get back to the standard their great traditions set for them. There is no reason why Bradley and Drake shouldn't be top 5 programs every year.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball