Drake vs WSU 1/2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Drake vs WSU 1/2

Postby Shockerfan13 » January 2nd, 2013, 10:05 pm

getreal4 wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:Drake Freshman KIng and Mason really giving it a go and fighting back. Daddy got a chance to mix it up a little. Wiggins and Early on fire. Was that the best 3 pt shooting night for the Shockers?

Pretty much ties for best shooting night from 3pt this year. They shot 12-24 against Northern Colorado. Other than that they have been 35% or less.

Drake lack of defense helped the Shox shoot well from outside. Way too many open looks.

I don't blame Drake honestly. We have had a LOT of open looks for most of the year. It's the best defense to play against WSU. If you extend too far WSU has guards with speed and decent handles that will just blow by for a layup. Best bet is to pack it in using a zone and make WSU beat you from the perimeter. While only 1 team has successfully taken down the Shox so far, it is probably the best defense to employ as the Shox usually don't even hit the wide open 3's with consistency. Just tonight a couple guys were hot.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » January 2nd, 2013, 10:08 pm

Leading rebounder for the game?

Tekele Cotton - the 6'2" guy starting at SF with all the injuries had 7 boards to lead all players. And shut down SImon. Not a bad game for a Sophomore.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 2nd, 2013, 10:08 pm

Is WSU the deepest team in the country? How many other teams could lose as many players as they have and still just dominate teams? There is literally no drop off from 1-10. Amazing.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RoyalShock » January 2nd, 2013, 10:22 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Is WSU the deepest team in the country? How many other teams could lose as many players as they have and still just dominate teams? There is literally no drop off from 1-10. Amazing.

I remember our previous coach's ideal rotation was 9 players, with 2-3 "scrubs". Using that philosophy we'd be putting 6 players on the floor with a couple guys getting spot minutes. I like how Marshall assembles his teams.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby shoxrox » January 2nd, 2013, 10:24 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Is WSU the deepest team in the country? How many other teams could lose as many players as they have and still just dominate teams? There is literally no drop off from 1-10. Amazing.

Pretty fair point 1983.

A lot of guys seem to be picking up in place of the lost. Defense looks on track and there's some healthy spurts of offense thrown in there as well.

Wasn't expecting a double-digit win tonight on the road in the Valley. Don't know if I would have picked it even with a full, healthy line-up. Happy to see it.

How many years does Phelps have left on his contract?
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » January 2nd, 2013, 10:26 pm

RoyalShock wrote:

I remember our previous coach's ideal rotation was 9 players, with 2-3 "scrubs". Using that philosophy we'd be putting 6 players on the floor with a couple guys getting spot minutes. I like how Marshall assembles his teams.

I am impressed how Marshall keeps egos in check. Says alot about the kind of young men he is recruiting. Even many that are sitting deep on the bench were studs on their previous teams. Can't be easy to go from being #1 or #2 on your team to #3 or #4 on the depth chart in just your position alone. And this has been true of the last couple of years. He keeps most of them happy somehow. And ones that weren't happy move on and he just plugs another good player right in their spot. He and his staff work the recruiting trail harder than many coaches I have seen.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » January 2nd, 2013, 10:34 pm

shoxrox wrote:

Pretty fair point 1983.

A lot of guys seem to be picking up in place of the lost. Defense looks on track and there's some healthy spurts of offense thrown in there as well.

Wasn't expecting a double-digit win tonight on the road in the Valley. Don't know if I would have picked it even with a full, healthy line-up. Happy to see it.

How many years does Phelps have left on his contract?

Nobody knows for sure (other than Phelps and his employers). I'm guessing that it's 1-2 years left (counting this season).

Based on attendance alone, Drake can't afford to not make a change.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shocker3 » January 3rd, 2013, 1:26 am

I was shocked to see the small crowd. Box score says attendance was something like 2700. I remember when Drake used to pack the downtown arena (capacity 12000+ as I recall) for Valley games.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » January 3rd, 2013, 8:13 am

shocker3 wrote:I was shocked to see the small crowd. Box score says attendance was something like 2700. I remember when Drake used to pack the downtown arena (capacity 12000+ as I recall) for Valley games.

That is the result of a fan base sending the very clear message that they have no faith in the current regime.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 3rd, 2013, 8:19 am

shocker3 wrote:I was shocked to see the small crowd. Box score says attendance was something like 2700. I remember when Drake used to pack the downtown arena (capacity 12000+ as I recall) for Valley games.

I'm sure they'll be at capacity against Creighton. They always are.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball