Screw Job of the Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Screw Job of the Year

Postby Heinro » January 3rd, 2013, 9:35 pm

Colorado clearly makes a 3 with .1 second left in Arizona and has the shot called no good. If this happens to my Shocks in Omaha this year, I'll be leading the riot.
Thoughts and prayers to WSU finding a new conference.
Heinro
MVC starter
MVC starter

Screw Job of the Year

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Screw Job of the Year

Postby Jet915 » January 3rd, 2013, 9:42 pm

Haha, saw that too, I think these were NFL replacement refs or something. I would be pissed if I was a Buffs fan.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Turner » January 3rd, 2013, 9:44 pm

Hopefully this video works: http://t.co/aTNERfOX
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby FearDaTrees » January 3rd, 2013, 10:35 pm

I don't know. It's extremely close....I wouldn't say a complete screw job cause there isn't a view that clearly shows the ball out with time left.
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Turner » January 3rd, 2013, 10:37 pm

2 of those refs did MVC games last night.
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby hot nuts » January 3rd, 2013, 10:44 pm

Looked obvious out of the shooter's hand to me in the side view replay. The view from behind the shooter is certainly not clear, but if the refs saw the side view....screw job.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pawball » January 3rd, 2013, 11:10 pm

Where were they playing? Where were they playing? Where were they playing?
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » January 4th, 2013, 1:32 am

No screw job at all. The team on defense should have either scored another basket earlier or denied the team from getting the three off.

The losing team had 40 minutes to win the game.

A team does not lose or win a game on one possession.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 4th, 2013, 5:47 am

Ace Dad wrote:No screw job at all. The team on defense should have either scored another basket earlier or denied the team from getting the three off.

The losing team had 40 minutes to win the game.

A team does not lose or win a game on one possession.

Wrong. The losing team had 45 minutes to win the game. Colorado blew it in OT. Secondly, the basket was ruled good on the floor. There was nothing in the videos that justified he call being overturned. By rule, the original call should have stood. Had the referees followed the rulebook on replays, Colorado wins. Instead, they chose to ignore the rules. It had the makings of a Buffalo Wild Wings commercial.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cu8493 » January 4th, 2013, 6:44 am

Ace Dad, I agree with you most of the time, but not here. The team DID win the game in the 40 minutes. He clearly took the shot prior to the end of 40 minutes. This isn't a foul/no foul call or a travel/no travel. Judgment calls go for and against teams throughout the course of a game and good or bad are part of the game. This shouldn't have been a judgment call.

This is in fact a situation where the officials took the game away and directly determined the outcome of the game. One can argue that CO could have stil won it in overtime or could have made one more bucket or stop elsewhere in the game, but the truth is they should not have had to. Shot was up within the time frame. By rules it is reviewable and at least by all appearances from what is available to the public the shot left his hand before the 40 game was over.

Now, perhaps what they were able to view on the monitor is different than what the public has seen. If so, then o.k. But otherwise, the referees did in fact determine the game, in my opinion.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball