How to For Getting Rid of Coach?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: How to For Getting Rid of Coach?

Postby iSASO » January 5th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Get old AD to retire. Hire AD Jim Schaus. Worth every penny. Get rid of a favorite son, hire coaches that go to the Sweet 16 in basketball and volleyball. Host Super Regional in baseball. Big money boosters get on board for arena remodel and new weight facilities, All Sports Trophies follow. Hire new rock star basketball coach who wins NIT national championship and conference championship, many weeks in national Top 25 polls.

It's really that easy. Just have to have the right people in place. (Hope they don't have ailing parents 500 miles away). HIre a guy who can stay the course and keep the big money boosters happy.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » January 6th, 2013, 11:45 am

ISASO: Those do not really appear to be suggestions as to how a fan base can get a coach removed. They appear to be some type of list of things to show what a great program you have at WSU. I understand that. I'm looking for assistance in how to make our program be at least in the same neighborhood as yours. There was a time when it was.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby iSASO » January 6th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Drakey wrote:ISASO: Those do not really appear to be suggestions as to how a fan base can get a coach removed. They appear to be some type of list of things to show what a great program you have at WSU. I understand that. I'm looking for assistance in how to make our program be at least in the same neighborhood as yours. There was a time when it was.

Public outcry was a key part of the change. The radio shows were brutual and 10-second delays were common to keep the FCC from shutting down the radio stations. Attendance dipped down to around 7,500 and highly critical letters appeared on the editoral pages every week. I have to assume some very intense conversations occurred between fans and boosters and the University President and the AD, who both retired right before the turnaround begun. Coincidence or not? I'm not sure. Whatever the case, it happened and was in many ways attributable to demands from the fanbase.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ptownbraves » January 6th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Get the local newspaper writers on board. The local paper calling for change puts pressure on an administration whether they want to admit it or not. See Jim Les at Bradley.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 6th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Drakey wrote:ISASO: I'm looking for assistance in how to make our program be at least in the same neighborhood as yours. There was a time when it was.

For starters, you might check to see, if Lewis Lloyd has any remaining elgibility.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » January 6th, 2013, 4:32 pm

getting rid of Phelps is only part of the problem. SHC hand picked Phelps, I doubt any Drake fan has any faith in her next choice being a better MVC coach. SHC is a good cheerleader, unfortunately her hiring decisions have quickly led Drake back to weak sister status in the Valley.

With SHC's cheerleading leadership, Drake might be able to compete in the Summit League.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 6th, 2013, 7:06 pm

getreal4 wrote:getting rid of Phelps is only part of the problem. SHC hand picked Phelps, I doubt any Drake fan has any faith in her next choice being a better MVC coach. SHC is a good cheerleader, unfortunately her hiring decisions have quickly led Drake back to weak sister status in the Valley.

With SHC's cheerleading leadership, Drake might be able to compete in the Summit League.

It seems like you have a double problem. How do you get rid of the AD and the HC?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » January 6th, 2013, 9:27 pm

it is a bigger problem. imo, need the corporate boosters to quit supporting the bulldogs due to the poor product, no return on their investment.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MetDrakeFan » January 7th, 2013, 1:18 am

Drakey - hire some college kids at $25 bucks a game to start an anti Phelps campaign.
MetDrakeFan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 7th, 2013, 9:50 am

AT Creighton, we dumped Rick Johnson after just three horrendous years.

The factors are severely dwindling attendance, booster complaints and media criticism. Basically, create attention. I'd suggest personally doing the following:

(1) Write letters/emails to the AD and university president expressing your disgust and respectfully requesting a change.
(2) Write letters/emails to the local newspaper's comment section requesting the same as above.
(3) Write letters/email to DMR sports columnists outlining why a change is necessary. Columnists tend to be a bit of a lazy lot and if enough people write in and give valid reasons, the columnist will then write a column in which he takes everyone else's opinion and rationale as makes it his own.
(4) Try to get some student involvement via editorials calling for change in the school paper.
(5) Make daily calls to the AD's office requesting a change. Being a constant pest is really important.
(6) Bring fire Phelps signs/wear paper bags to home games.

If there isn't enough money to pay a new coach and what the current coach is due, your crusade is probably doomed (see SIU).
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball