Postby Snaggletooth » January 7th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Teams with the greatest impact on ISUB rpi right now is:

1. CU
2. Mississippi
3. New Mexico
4. Miami
5. SD St
6. UCLA

Guess who in the future will have the biggest negative impact? SWMO, they will basically neutralize CU positive impact on ISUB rpi.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: How?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby thefish7 » January 7th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:They actually have 3 neutral court games from Hawaii and they are the biggest factor in their rank. That Odum floater to beat Ole Miss and get them two additional high-quality opponents was HUGE. All three of their opponents from Hawaii are already at double-digit wins and the Trees have wins over two of them.

That's what I get for grabbing their schedule from ESPN.com.
thefish7
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby squirrel » January 7th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Yes, unfortunately Missouri State is cancer because of that SWAC roadie.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » January 7th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
thefish7 wrote:
FearDaTrees wrote:Is there anyway of checking what it would be if we didnt lose to Morehead St?

RPI is calculated as 1/4 winning percentage, 1/2 strength of schedule, and 1/4 opponents' strength of schedule. There's a little wrinkle, because they bias the value of wins and losses based on if they're home or away. Home wins are worth .8 wins, away wins worth 1.4, and neutral wins worth 1. Inverse is also true, so a home loss is 1.4 losses, an away loss is .8 losses, and a neutral loss is worth 1.

The trees have a:
Home record of 6-2
Away record of 3-3
and no neutral games.

This gives you an adjusted record of 9-5.2 and a winning percentage of .6338, which makes its contribution to your RPI .1585. Morehead St was a road game, so winning it would have resulted in an adjusted record of (4.8, 2.8) (5.6, 1.6) 10.4-4.4 and a percentage of .703 and a contribution to RPI of .1757... Or an increase of .0172. It would have also decreased by some tiny amount your SOS, I think, which I'm too lazy to calculate . Assuming the SOS effect is small enough not to actually affect your rating, your RPI would be .6275 which woudl be enough to take you from #22 to #19.

Now... :Beer:

Special note - this was written while distracted at work so I may have boned up a thing or two.

They actually have 3 neutral court games from Hawaii and they are the biggest factor in their rank. That Odum floater to beat Ole Miss and get them two additional high-quality opponents was HUGE. All three of their opponents from Hawaii are already at double-digit wins and the Trees have wins over two of them.

not to nitpick, but I think the Odum floater beat Miami and not Ole Miss. The Miami game was game 3. Regardless, winning that first game over Ole Miss enabled ISU get 2 more high quality games in Hawaii, which has been a huge boost to RPI and SOS
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » January 8th, 2013, 8:05 am

squirrel wrote:Yes, unfortunately Missouri State is cancer

This part is true, but the second clause "because of the SWAC roadie" isn't quite true. MSU's RPI was down in the 320s before that game, so scheduling Alabama A&M didn't hurt, and losing didn't hurt much either.

Would be a different story if, say, Bradley had scheduled a home game with AA&M and lost - since home losses count as 1.4 loss, and Bradley would have had lots of room to fall in the rankings
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby squirrel » January 8th, 2013, 2:10 pm

If Bradley were to ever lose to a SWAC team, I will be the first to write a letter to the administration requesting it disband the program.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball