How?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

How?

Postby FearDaTrees » January 7th, 2013, 3:04 pm

ISUb has the 9th sos rank in the country and 26 RPI....not sure why the RPI loves us so much but we`ll take it!
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

How?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How?

Postby squirrel » January 7th, 2013, 3:21 pm

It's really not that hard to figure out.

Losses against high level teams actually can give you a boost.

5 of your 13 games have been against teams in the RPI 45, including 2 in the top 10.

While Ole Miss isn't good, there is enough high level mid-major quality and no real bad losses that they should be an OK win at the end of the season.

More importantly, many of your weaker non-con opponents have SOS's in the top 1/3 of DI, so even though there are some low RPI teams on your schedule, your opponents opponents are helping you out.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby FearDaTrees » January 7th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Is there anyway of checking what it would be if we didnt lose to Morehead St?
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 7th, 2013, 3:41 pm

FearDaTrees wrote:ISUb has the 9th sos rank in the country and 26 RPI....not sure why the RPI loves us so much but we`ll take it!

Your RPI is at 26 BECAUSE your SOS is 9th, you won a lot of games and your one bad loss is on the road.

In checking your numbers, I noticed that Creighton's SOS is 23 and UNI's is 25. Nice to see that the MVC schools are finally scheduling up again.

The bad news is that the MVC schedule is going to hurt both of our SOS dramatically with 3 teams having RPIs over 200 (with MSU at 281 :roll: )

By the way, I like your team. I hope the people of Terre Haute get out and support you.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » January 7th, 2013, 4:31 pm

FearDaTrees wrote:ISUb has the 9th sos rank in the country and 26 RPI....not sure why the RPI loves us so much but we`ll take it!

The RPI "loves" you because, relative to other teams around the country, you've played and beaten some teams that have a lot of wins and few losses. I count six games (2-4) against teams with at least 10 wins (taken from RealTimeRPI).

I'm guessing there are only a handful of teams that can say they've played six such games at this point.

That's the beauty and limitation of RPI - it just counts wins, essentially.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby thefish7 » January 7th, 2013, 4:43 pm

FearDaTrees wrote:Is there anyway of checking what it would be if we didnt lose to Morehead St?

RPI is calculated as 1/4 winning percentage, 1/2 strength of schedule, and 1/4 opponents' strength of schedule. There's a little wrinkle, because they bias the value of wins and losses based on if they're home or away. Home wins are worth .8 wins, away wins worth 1.4, and neutral wins worth 1. Inverse is also true, so a home loss is 1.4 losses, an away loss is .8 losses, and a neutral loss is worth 1.

The trees have a:
Home record of 6-2
Away record of 3-3
and no neutral games.

This gives you an adjusted record of 9-5.2 and a winning percentage of .6338, which makes its contribution to your RPI .1585. Morehead St was a road game, so winning it would have resulted in an adjusted record of (4.8, 2.8) (5.6, 1.6) 10.4-4.4 and a percentage of .703 and a contribution to RPI of .1757... Or an increase of .0172. It would have also decreased by some tiny amount your SOS, I think, which I'm too lazy to calculate . Assuming the SOS effect is small enough not to actually affect your rating, your RPI would be .6275 which woudl be enough to take you from #22 to #19.

Now... :Beer:

Special note - this was written while distracted at work so I may have boned up a thing or two.
thefish7
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 7th, 2013, 4:50 pm

I think home wins and away losses are valued at .6, not .8
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby thefish7 » January 7th, 2013, 5:02 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I think home wins and away losses are valued at .6, not .8

Checking wikipedia, the infallible font of all knowledge, you are correct. Correcting the math means Indiana State's increase in RPI would be about .17, instead of .172. This results in the same ratings change from #22 to #19.
thefish7
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby LJay » January 7th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Creighton beat a Top 30 RPI team on Saturday and their RPI dropped a spot while ISUb lost and moved up 2 spots. Home versus away counts for a lot.

PS - Fear, you can amend your signature now.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » January 7th, 2013, 5:46 pm

thefish7 wrote:
FearDaTrees wrote:Is there anyway of checking what it would be if we didnt lose to Morehead St?

RPI is calculated as 1/4 winning percentage, 1/2 strength of schedule, and 1/4 opponents' strength of schedule. There's a little wrinkle, because they bias the value of wins and losses based on if they're home or away. Home wins are worth .8 wins, away wins worth 1.4, and neutral wins worth 1. Inverse is also true, so a home loss is 1.4 losses, an away loss is .8 losses, and a neutral loss is worth 1.

The trees have a:
Home record of 6-2
Away record of 3-3
and no neutral games.

This gives you an adjusted record of 9-5.2 and a winning percentage of .6338, which makes its contribution to your RPI .1585. Morehead St was a road game, so winning it would have resulted in an adjusted record of (4.8, 2.8) (5.6, 1.6) 10.4-4.4 and a percentage of .703 and a contribution to RPI of .1757... Or an increase of .0172. It would have also decreased by some tiny amount your SOS, I think, which I'm too lazy to calculate . Assuming the SOS effect is small enough not to actually affect your rating, your RPI would be .6275 which woudl be enough to take you from #22 to #19.

Now... :Beer:

Special note - this was written while distracted at work so I may have boned up a thing or two.

They actually have 3 neutral court games from Hawaii and they are the biggest factor in their rank. That Odum floater to beat Ole Miss and get them two additional high-quality opponents was HUGE. All three of their opponents from Hawaii are already at double-digit wins and the Trees have wins over two of them.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball