Tues 1/8 games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Tues 1/8 games

Postby Aces1982 » January 9th, 2013, 3:07 pm

jaybydna wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:I find it funny that many CU and WSU fans get upset by the way the "big" schools treat them. Yet they act and treat the rest of the Valley as the ugly step sister just like the "big" schools treat them.

I am not treating anyone like anything. I have not disparaged anyone for any decisions. I merely stated my opinion as to why we have some schools with 270+ RPIs, and the effect that has on all of us. Do you have a better reason? I am saying the reason I am looking forward to the opportunity is so I can be with like minded schools. If you are happy with the current situation, I'm happy for you. I want more out of Creighton, and I don't think I can get it with the current level of investment within the MVC.

Answer my question. Will the MVC be better in 10 years? Where were you 10 years ago?

I don't think anyone can say where they will be in 10 years much less the league. In 1996, Creighton and Wichita were horrible. UNI not very good. Did anyone in the league think we would get 4 bids just 10 years later? I have no idea if the conference stayed in tact where it will be in 10 years and to think you can predict it is nonsense.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aces1982 » January 9th, 2013, 3:11 pm

MoValley John wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:I find it funny that many CU and WSU fans get upset by the way the "big" schools treat them. Yet they act and treat the rest of the Valley as the ugly step sister just like the "big" schools treat them.

That is because they feel they have more in common with the big boys. They get pissed because being associated with the Valley keeps them from being viewed with respect. It is exasperated when other Valley schools can't or won't commit to building the league. Look no further than the 150 rule or the first vote to keep Dallas Baptist out of baseball simply because of travel costs.

The big boys think otherwise and it pisses off many from Wichita and Creighton.

If either team was to leave for a bigger conference and they become the bottom feeders of that said conference and they would....be careful what you wish for. Sometimes you don't know how good you have it till its gone.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » January 9th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
MoValley John wrote:

That is because they feel they have more in common with the big boys. They get pissed because being associated with the Valley keeps them from being viewed with respect. It is exasperated when other Valley schools can't or won't commit to building the league. Look no further than the 150 rule or the first vote to keep Dallas Baptist out of baseball simply because of travel costs.

If either team was to leave for a bigger conference and they become the bottom feeders of that said conference and they would....be careful what you wish for. Sometimes you don't know how good you have it till its gone.

That success, or lack thereof, at the bigger level, once again, comes down to commitment. Would either Creighton or Wichita State be good jumping a level remains to be seen. But if they commit resources, they will be fine. If they jump and try to do it on the cheap, they're dead.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shoxrox » January 9th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Aces1982 wrote:I don't think anyone can say where they will be in 10 years much less the league. In 1996, Creighton and Wichita were horrible. UNI not very good. Did anyone in the league think we would get 4 bids just 10 years later? I have no idea if the conference stayed in tact where it will be in 10 years and to think you can predict it is nonsense.

This is where you're missing the big picture. It's more than just on-court success, which is important, and both have. Those two schools have large fanbases, travel well, invest big time into their programs, pay their coaches handsomely, and bring in a lot of revenue for both their schools and the conference. They carry the league. It involves more than just a small-minded, small picture view which is what your post was.
Last edited by shoxrox on January 9th, 2013, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PorkTornado » January 9th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
MoValley John wrote:

Considering the program you follow I can understand why you would believe this, but Creighton and Wichita have proven they are willing to spend what it takes to not only be competitive, but become nationally recognized programs, in spite of the fact they don't play in what is considered by many a major conference. You give Creighton or Wichita BCS level TV money they are going to reinvest it in the program.
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aces1982 » January 9th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Some on here think all you have to do is spend money on your program and you will then have a winning program. That couldn't be further from the truth. There is school after school spending yet not getting the results they so desire. It is a start but it is not the magic potion that automatically says your program will win.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PorkTornado » January 9th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Some on here think all you have to do is spend money on your program and you will then have a winning program. That couldn't be further from the truth. There is school after school spending yet not getting the results they so desire. It is a start but it is not the magic potion that automatically says your program will win.

The thought that a school willing to spend money and fully invest in a program will be successful is a bit more reasonable than your thought that Creighton will be a bottom feeder in a new conference, just because.
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 9th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Some on here think all you have to do is spend money on your program and you will then have a winning program. That couldn't be further from the truth. There is school after school spending yet not getting the results they so desire. It is a start but it is not the magic potion that automatically says your program will win.

Likewise, some on here think you don't have to spend any more money on your program and still have it magically get better.

You tell me what scenario seems more likely.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 9th, 2013, 4:09 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

Likewise, some on here think you don't have to spend any more money on your program and still have it magically get better.

You tell me what scenario seems more likely.

Preaching to the choir. And this has little difference than our current political culture. Crazy as it seems.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » January 9th, 2013, 4:11 pm

shoxrox wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:I don't think anyone can say where they will be in 10 years much less the league. In 1996, Creighton and Wichita were horrible. UNI not very good. Did anyone in the league think we would get 4 bids just 10 years later? I have no idea if the conference stayed in tact where it will be in 10 years and to think you can predict it is nonsense.

This is where you're missing the big picture. It's more than just on-court success, which is important, and both have. Those two schools have large fanbases, travel well, invest big time into their programs, pay their coaches handsomely, and bring in a lot of revenue for both their schools and the conference. They carry the league. It involves more than just a small-minded, small picture view which is what your post was.

When UE came into the conference WSU and Creighton fans in St Louis were non existant.
I'm glad your ego thinks Wichita is going to be on top every year. I can't wait for the fall, and it will happen...see SIU
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball