Tues 1/8 games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Tues 1/8 games

Postby Aces1982 » January 9th, 2013, 4:13 pm

PorkTornado wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:Some on here think all you have to do is spend money on your program and you will then have a winning program. That couldn't be further from the truth. There is school after school spending yet not getting the results they so desire. It is a start but it is not the magic potion that automatically says your program will win.

The thought that a school willing to spend money and fully invest in a program will be successful is a bit more reasonable than your thought that Creighton will be a bottom feeder in a new conference, just because.

Did you even read the post or stop halfway through? I said it is a start but it doesn't mean you will get results you want.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shoxrox » January 9th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Some on here think all you have to do is spend money on your program and you will then have a winning program. That couldn't be further from the truth. There is school after school spending yet not getting the results they so desire. It is a start but it is not the magic potion that automatically says your program will win.

Some on here expect big money results with peanuts investments. What are the odds those schools are going to have long-term stability and look sexy attractive to a conference?
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » January 9th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Aces1982 wrote:When UE came into the conference WSU and Creighton fans in St Louis were non existant.
I'm glad your ego thinks Wichita is going to be on top every year. I can't wait for the fall, and it will happen...see SIU

When UE came into the conference, nobody came to St. Louis. The landscape has changed just a bit in 20 years time.

I'm glad that as an EU fan, your mission in life is waiting for WSU to fall. I hope you enjoy the wait.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PorkTornado » January 9th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
PorkTornado wrote:

The thought that a school willing to spend money and fully invest in a program will be successful is a bit more reasonable than your thought that Creighton will be a bottom feeder in a new conference, just because.

Did you even read the post or stop halfway through? I said it is a start but it doesn't mean you will get results you want.

I'm really confused here and I may be the only one, but could you please start over and tell me exactly what you mean. Earlier you say, doesn't matter if Creighton spends money, they are going to be a bottom feeder. You provide no reason for why they will be a bottom feeder just that they will be in spite of their total investment in not only the basketball program, but the entire athletic department.

You cite, "school after school," as examples to back you up, saying that, sure its a part, but not the only thing. You don't ever say what else it takes, aside from a magic potion (which spending money is not).

All I was trying to say was it is more reasonable to believe that a school (Creighton in this case) will be successful in a new conference because they actually invest in their program than to say it doesn't matter if Creighton spends more money or not, they will suck.
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » January 9th, 2013, 4:38 pm

I 100% agree with the investment argument especially when you speak of Missouri State, Indiana State, Evansville and, most certainly, Drake. What the administration has done to the Drake program in borderline criminal.

But...

How do you explain UNI's almost decade of success then??

We have invested in a new arena, we are paying a coach over 5 times what we did 10 years ago (that number keeps going up every year, btw) and have done nothing but invest in making sure our team travels the right way, has the facilities they need and have done nothing but increase what we are paying assistants.

In your eyes, does UNI not invest in its program simply because we also sponsor football??
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » January 9th, 2013, 4:56 pm

BCPanther wrote:In your eyes, does UNI not invest in its program simply because we also sponsor football??

And football is now essentially revenue neutral at UNI.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 9th, 2013, 4:59 pm

BCPanther wrote:I 100% agree with the investment argument especially when you speak of Missouri State, Indiana State, Evansville and, most certainly, Drake. What the administration has done to the Drake program in borderline criminal.

But...

We have invested in a new arena, we are paying a coach over 5 times what we did 10 years ago (that number keeps going up every year, btw) and have done nothing but invest in making sure our team travels the right way, has the facilities they need and have done nothing but increase what we are paying assistants.

In your eyes, does UNI not invest in its program simply because we also sponsor football??

Great question.

In the case of UNI, I'd say the concern is that UNI is tapped out. It has reached the upper bounds of what it can do, meaning that continued investment may be hard to come by. Likewise, increasing investment seems completely out of the question for the foreseeable future.

I think it is also important to point out that in order to do the things you outlined, your athletic department also had to drop baseball.

Do the struggles of your basketball program the least two years had anything to do with the financial cutbacks that were required to be made in your athletic department? (Honest question - I don't know). Have you seen any drop off in your other athletic programs in the last two years?
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 9th, 2013, 5:11 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
BCPanther wrote:I 100% agree with the investment argument especially when you speak of Missouri State, Indiana State, Evansville and, most certainly, Drake. What the administration has done to the Drake program in borderline criminal.

But...

Great question.

In the case of UNI, I'd say the concern is that UNI is tapped out. It has reached the upper bounds of what it can do, meaning that continued investment may be hard to come by. Likewise, increasing investment seems completely out of the question for the foreseeable future.

I think it is also important to point out that in order to do the things you outlined, your athletic department also had to drop baseball.

Do the struggles of your basketball program the least two years had anything to do with the financial cutbacks that were required to be made in your athletic department? (Honest question - I don't know). Have you seen any drop off in your other athletic programs in the last two years?

The struggles in basketball are not related to money. We are spending more than we ever have. The O'Rear injury two years ago, coupled with the McDermott situation did set us back a bit, but if struggling is getting into the NIT and winning a game, I think about any Valley program would take it.

In other sports things are going well too. Volleyball made its 7th consecutive NCAA, softball won the regular season league title, Women's Basketball is strong though they can't seem to shake the injury bug, Women's soccer is vastly improved and getting an on campus facility that breaks ground this spring.

As far as baseball goes it had to be done. We were up here on an island by ourselves, we had ZERO control over facilities and were paying a huge fee to play at a run down Summer League baseball stadium. Couple all of that with the fact that Iowa High School Baseball is still played in the summer and there is absolutely no way you can compete with kids that can't play summer league ball it painted us into a corner.

You may be right about being tapped out. We have a very loyal, however, small fan base that gives what it can and it hurts that the guy we had to write unlimited checks ended up being a full fledged criminal. However, I would take our future over everybody not named CU or WSU. Jake is locked up long term and as long as he is allowed to continue paying assistants well and traveling well, he is happy. He turned down A&M's big money offer and there really aren't any other jobs that scare any of us outside of the traditional elites and maybe Wisconsin.

We are in a good place and I think if the Valley would get picked apart we may be very attractive to a new league, ie the MAC.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 9th, 2013, 5:48 pm

In the case of UNI, if you read my posts, I have consistently said they are doing it right. With regards to the university telling Jacobson that they were going to renegotiate BEFORE anyone else called, to working on fixing and improving their athletic finances in the future. While I'm not a fan of 1-AA ball, UNI has kept that from being a financial burden.

UNI is hardly being attacked by me. In fact, UNI fans are also the innocent victim in all of this.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bearvision » January 9th, 2013, 9:38 pm

This thread has been a fun read, and a goo reminder of why if I do post on this board, it's generally in an MSU game thread, too many people like MVJ who don't know enough to know what they don't know.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball