Accept or Reject?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Accept or Reject?

Postby PorkTornado » January 9th, 2013, 12:12 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:The other fear I would have, will the fan base accept change? May be easier said than done.
This is just my opinion..but if a school starts changing conferences...why not do it again..and again.

If a fan base isn't accepting of a change like this, its an extremely uninterested and uneducated fanbase.
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WhiskeySierraUniform » January 9th, 2013, 12:22 pm

I believe the key in all of this is IF OFFERED. I'm not convinced that CU will be offered by the C7, at least not in the first round of added teams.
"I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." Anthony Kiedis
WhiskeySierraUniform
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Red » January 9th, 2013, 12:27 pm

DUBulldog wrote:If offered, you gotta go.

:+1:
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shoxrox » January 9th, 2013, 12:35 pm

I wouldn't blame Creighton for leaving, but I'm not going to have sympathy for them either if they become a middling team in that conference.

Personally, outside of Marquette and maybe Georgetown, I don't see a lot of strong basketball programs currently. Yah, I know it's a money thing, but meh, it's basically a watered-down Big East.
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 9th, 2013, 12:38 pm

shoxrox wrote:I wouldn't blame Creighton for leaving, but I'm not going to have sympathy for them either if they become a middling team in that conference.

Personally, outside of Marquette and maybe Georgetown, I don't see a lot of strong basketball programs currently. Yah, I know it's a money thing, but meh, it's basically a watered-down Big East.

The questions posed was whether you would or would not want your school to accept an offer if proffered.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 9th, 2013, 12:39 pm

WhiskeySierraUniform wrote:I believe the key in all of this is IF OFFERED. I'm not convinced that CU will be offered by the C7, at least not in the first round of added teams.

I don't think any Creighton fans are convinced of anything either. I'd describe the fanbase as "cautiously optimistic."
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 9th, 2013, 1:20 pm

PorkTornado wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:The other fear I would have, will the fan base accept change? May be easier said than done.
This is just my opinion..but if a school starts changing conferences...why not do it again..and again.

If a fan base isn't accepting of a change like this, its an extremely uninterested and uneducated fanbase.

My thought is more on what fans have become used to as far as expectation, and Fan excitement per opponents team. Georgetown would be the only team I would be excited to see, to a lesser amount Gonzaga, Marquette. I think this excitement changes when conferences change members. I know it did me when Louisville and Memphis left, I enjoyed seeing them every year. So I think as a fan it goes both ways, what you lose and what you gain as far as expectation. My guess there are a lot of fans that could care less about RPI and the road to the NCAA, although they want their team to succeed, based on what they have been exposed as far as competition currently at games sets the fans involvement level. That could change with a totally new cast of teams.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 9th, 2013, 1:35 pm

It would be easy for fans to get excited with the thoughts of having home games every year with the likes of Georgetown, Marquette and Xavier. There are a few dogs, but face it, the Valley, even in good years, is ho hum with regards to competition. Even when they were good, outside of maybe Drake, did anyone really get excited when UNI came to town? The same can be said for just about every Valley opponent. You might have one rival followed by who gives a crap. It is always more exciting and more interesting playing at home to a bad BCS team than playing a Valley frontrunner. The new league would have name recognition week in and week out. Even if you were a middling in that league, it would be more fun for the fans.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Smooth007 » January 9th, 2013, 1:37 pm

If they were an equal partner in voting and revenue sharing, it is a no brainer to accept. If offerred something less, they should weigh the pro's/con's.
Smooth007
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 9th, 2013, 1:46 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:
PorkTornado wrote:

My thought is more on what fans have become used to as far as expectation, and Fan excitement per opponents team. Georgetown would be the only team I would be excited to see, to a lesser amount Gonzaga, Marquette. I think this excitement changes when conferences change members. I know it did me when Louisville and Memphis left, I enjoyed seeing them every year. So I think as a fan it goes both ways, what you lose and what you gain as far as expectation. My guess there are a lot of fans that could care less about RPI and the road to the NCAA, although they want their team to succeed, based on what they have been exposed as far as competition currently at games sets the fans involvement level. That could change with a totally new cast of teams.

I spoke about this the other day. The problem is that Creighton doesn't really have any similar schools in the conference; and outside of Drake (and maybe UNI, although that is stretching it) there aren't any teams that are located close to Omaha either. We've had a hard time developing rivalries as a result. Adding schools like Marquette, Xavier, Depaul and SLU and we'd have instant rivalries with schools causal fans are more familiar with and that Catholics have ties to due to siblings and other family members attending those institutions.

Very rarely do you have a family have one kid attend Creighton and another kid attend a different MVC school. Eliminate Drake and UNI as possibilities and it probably happens next to never. Illinois schools, on the other hand, probably experience this situation all the time, making rivalries really easy to develop.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball