Accept or Reject?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Accept or Reject?

Postby thefish7 » January 9th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Smooth007 wrote:If they were an equal partner in voting and revenue sharing, it is a no brainer to accept. If offerred something less, they should weigh the pro's/con's.

:+1:

If they're an equal member, or if they're unequal for a fixed period (to cover exit/legal fees) then yes they should go.

If they're an unequal member it's a recipe for failure. Not only a western outpost alone on an island, but a poor one at that.
thefish7
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jayzwin » January 9th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Very rarely do you have a family have one kid attend Creighton and another kid attend a different MVC school. Eliminate Drake and UNI as possibilities and it probably happens next to never. Illinois schools, on the other hand, probably experience this situation all the time, making rivalries really easy to develop.

i agree - I know of a little Drake - Creighton and Creighton UNI crossover primarily from Iowa families, but of no other.
Jayzwin
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Jet915 » January 9th, 2013, 2:08 pm

- Around 3 million/year
- Having all your conference games shown in 80 million homes (Fox Sports 1)
- Playing teams w/national reputations who have won championships and gone to Final Fours
- Your worse team being DePaul (I know they are bad but not as bad as some teams here)
- Elevate the reputation of your school nationally
- Not having to deal with "some" Shocker fans and their annoying threads (you know who you are ;) )

No brainer if invited.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » January 9th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Has an Evansville fan chimed in on this yet?

I think the only hope for the MVC is for Illinois State and Bradley to join Creighton and WSU in the mix of conference leaders. Outside of that happening, the MVC has hit its ceiling.

Picking up where MoValley John left off, playing a mid-level BCS team or one of the Big East/C-7 teams is far more appealing than playing most Valley schools. It is odd to see relatively few sellouts at Koch Arena these days. I attribute that to boredom. The non-conference schedule is highly boring because no BCS or other 'name' teams will dare show up and the MVC schedule is boring for the most part. Certainly, on the rare occasion that there is a hotly-contested game in Wichita, the place is nuts and rocks like few others but there have been so many one-sided games recently that it's starting to become an NBA crowd. I pay a crapton of money for 4 decent seats and it's just not as much fun nowadays being the hunted instead of the hunter.

Given that, I would have to accept the call if offered, otherwise I will probably drop our season tickets and save the money to travel with the family to the pre-season/holiday tournaments and to NCAA Tournaments as the work schedule allows.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » January 9th, 2013, 3:49 pm

iSASO wrote:Has an Evansville fan chimed in on this yet?

I think the only hope for the MVC is for Illinois State and Bradley to join Creighton and WSU in the mix of conference leaders. Outside of that happening, the MVC has hit its ceiling.

Picking up where MoValley John left off, playing a mid-level BCS team or one of the Big East/C-7 teams is far more appealing than playing most Valley schools. It is odd to see relatively few sellouts at Koch Arena these days. I attribute that to boredom. The non-conference schedule is highly boring because no BCS or other 'name' teams will dare show up and the MVC schedule is boring for the most part. Certainly, on the rare occasion that there is a hotly-contested game in Wichita, the place is nuts and rocks like few others but there have been so many one-sided games recently that it's starting to become an NBA crowd. I pay a crapton of money for 4 decent seats and it's just not as much fun nowadays being the hunted instead of the hunter.

Given that, I would have to accept the call if offered, otherwise I will probably drop our season tickets and save the money to travel with the family to the pre-season/holiday tournaments and to NCAA Tournaments as the work schedule allows.

I have to agree. At the begining of the Turgeon era (when I purchased season tickets for the first time) you had more BCS teams who would come into Koch arena, but now they will only play at IBA if we are lucky. The only real game that is a no brainer around here the last couple of years is the Creighton game. It will be sold out and rocking that afternoon. When you are shelling out about a grand for not even decent teams in the non conference, it gets frustraiting when they ask you to buy tickets that don't come with your season tickets for the good games at IBA.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PorkTornado » January 9th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Do WSU fans think there is any hangover to the Shockers being willing to do one and done's in the past? Its always mentioned around Jays' circles that once you do that you can't get a BCS school to come to your place.
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shocktheheart » January 9th, 2013, 6:50 pm

PorkTornado wrote:Do WSU fans think there is any hangover to the Shockers being willing to do one and done's in the past? Its always mentioned around Jays' circles that once you do that you can't get a BCS school to come to your place.

Turgeon did it with Syracuse. I don't think you do it unless it is a very elite program...Duke, UNC, etc...I wouldn't put KU in that bunch just becuase they are another state school. I would do a 2 for or even maybe a 3 for. I doubt they would want to play in Koch and would want to play at IBA.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » January 9th, 2013, 10:03 pm

What does CU think about conference tourny? As far as a drive that STL is, Madison Square Garden is even further? I suppose for those who have the $$ to fly out it will be better, but I suspect it will limit the fan base. But maybe they don't care and are content to watch on TV.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 9th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:What does CU think about conference tourny? As far as a drive that STL is, Madison Square Garden is even further? I suppose for those who have the $$ to fly out it will be better, but I suspect it will limit the fan base. But maybe they don't care and are content to watch on TV.

I would give up going to the confernece tourney to get a chance to play in a better conference. You could watch on national TV or go every couple of years to a real destination type city...not that St. Louis is bad, but it isn't NYC
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » January 9th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Evansville chiming in "another stupid question by a WSU poster" Reference See first stupid question of WSU poster "what happens if a star player goes down" see stupid question... ask WSU. Who said it was WCC :huh:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball